Looking for alternative to Adobe Flash

Using applications, configuring, problems
bwh1969

#1 Post by bwh1969 »

Since Adobe has dumped linux support, I have been trying to get either gnash or lightspark to work with no good results. I somewhat got Gnash half working by cobbling together a bunch of deb packages called as dependencies, extracted them and put them into an sfs... and I do get the embeded player when visiting youtube, but it calls for gstreamer ffmpeg as an error even though all of those packages were included.

I tried compiling gnash and lightspark, but they refuse to build. I can buid wifi drivers, ati fglrx and virtualbox so I think my build enviroment is pretty much correct.

I don't see a whole lot of activity regarding this issue yet. 11.2 is the last Flash for us so maybe necessity will call for more interest soon enough?

bark_bark_bark

#2 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Adobe didn't dump support for linux. Flash 11.2 will still get security updates. But to most people in the corporate world, linux is just a minority, and don't get why they should support it.

bwh1969

but

#3 Post by bwh1969 »

What happens when a site wants, say flash 12? I read that it will still get security support for 11.2 but it will, at some point prevent some sites from working. I have Gnash on Precise 12.04 and it seems to work, at least with youtube.

So I guess I will rephrase my goal. I want NOT to use flash using Adobe's plug-in. Is there anything else that I can install on Puppy, aside from VirtualBox running Precise 12.04?

I used to be quizzically annoyed with iOS no supporting flash. Now I kind of get it/agree, even if my reasons are different.

Linux is everywhere, that is what is absurd. It just is rarely on the front end of things where people know they are using it.

:-)

bark_bark_bark

#4 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Flash is the best, can't see why you want to change it. I do not know any other better alternatives. Sorry.

Makoto

#5 Post by Makoto »

True. As far as I'm aware, the open-source alternatives to Flash aren't yet anywhere near the original Flash in performance, compatibility, etc.

It'd be nice if Adobe could hand the project over to someone willing to continue to bugfix and improve Flash on Linux, but I doubt it would happen, at this stage. (c'mon, people, Flash games should NOT require quite a bit more processing power than YouTube or Hulu videos, on my system... :mrgreen: )
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Monsie

#6 Post by Monsie »

bwh1969,

This thread posted about three months ago might be of interest to you...

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

bwh1969

Bummer

#7 Post by bwh1969 »

Bummer, but all the addons involving flash replacements (helpers, replacers) have been removed:-(

Monsie

#8 Post by Monsie »

See the updated posts in this thread here.
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

666philb

Re: Bummer

#9 Post by 666philb »

bwh1969 wrote:Bummer, but all the addons involving flash replacements (helpers, replacers) have been removed:-(
for youtube, you might also be interested in gtk-youtube-viewer ..... links in my signature
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331