a PET for VMWare Tools

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
frantzm

a PET for VMWare Tools

#1 Post by frantzm »

I think Puppy Linux would be ideal for VMWare given its low resource usage not mention its all around excellent usability. However, for a distro to work seamlessly in VMWare, it requires VMWare Tools to be installed. I was able to do the VMWare Tools installation for Lubuntu but was unsuccessful with Puppy Slacko 5.3.3.

When executing vmware-install.pl, the first problem was the directories it is expecting do not exist:
what is the directory that contains the init directories (rc0.d ... rc6.d) ?
I worked around this by following this guide: http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~jbyrne/vmware.htm

But the next problem, not having gcc installed, was too involved for a Linux n00b like myself.

Any possibility of a creating VMWare Tools PET? This would make it trivial to create a VM appliance which would garner more exposure for Puppy Linux.

Thanks for your consideration,
Mike Frantz

Monsie

a PET for VMWare Tools

#2 Post by Monsie »

frantzm,

First of all: "Welcome to the kennels!"
But the next problem, not having gcc installed, was too involved for a Linux n00b like myself.
Here is a quick explanation. You need to get the devx package from Puppy Package Manager... it will have the necessary files that you need for compiling software. That said, compiling in Puppy is easiest if you have a "frugal" rather than "full" install of Slacko. Then, it's a matter of putting the .sfs package for devx in your /mnt/home directory then loading it with BootManager and re-booting to give you the environment for compiling source code.

You might want to spend some time learning, and, getting the hang of Puppy... so-to-speak before trying to put together any packages. As for asking about a PET, I recommend re-posting in the Requests section which you will find over here because chances are that you will have better response if you post in the proper channel. That said, be aware that any requests for PETS or other packages may or may not be answered which could be for any number of different reasons... but the bottom line is that we are all volunteers here within the Community.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

frantzm

Re: a PET for VMWare Tools

#3 Post by frantzm »

Monsie wrote:You need to get the devx package from Puppy Package Manager... it will have the necessary files that you need for compiling software.
Thanks, I will try this later.
Monsie wrote:As for asking about a PET, I recommend re-posting in the Requests section which you will find over here because chances are that you will have better response if you post in the proper channel.
Oops, I will repost in that section.
Monsie wrote:That said, be aware that any requests for PETS or other packages may or may not be answered which could be for any number of different reasons... but the bottom line is that we are all volunteers here within the Community.
Understood. Thanks for the very helpful reply.