Is puppy 2.02 blocking some clients from my server?

Booting, installing, newbie
bongmaster

Is puppy 2.02 blocking some clients from my server?

#1 Post by bongmaster »

i have just installed puppy 2.02 and set up my server again..

its all running and people can access it..

But...

there a re a few who cant, and they could before i replaced the puppy i had with 2.02.

is there something in puppy 2.02 that can be blocking them? because my server is the same as before.. and my ip hadnt changed either..

help :? this is confusing the hell out of me and the people who can no longer access my server :(
*Under Renewal*

darkerror05

#2 Post by darkerror05 »

Did you happen to set up the firewall?
-darkerror

bongmaster

#3 Post by bongmaster »

not yet.. until i solve this :?
*Under Renewal*

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

with Puppy 2.0.2, you may not even be able to access the internet until you run the firewall wizard

bongmaster

#5 Post by bongmaster »

i'm accessing it now :) so that bit works :)

i cant put on a firewwall untill i know wats causing thies random blockeges..

also why isnt it mounting my second partition upon boot? i have added the correct line to fstab (as done with previos puppy) and it is not mounting it.. i have to manually mount each time i reboot. :(
*Under Renewal*

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

one thing that has changed for Puppy 2.0.2 is that there seem to be rules setup in the iptables firewall before you configure a firewall script ... i could not access the internet at all until i ran the firewall confgure tool

i would tell you to try clearing the firewall rules by typing /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall stop ... but that program will not be there until after you run the firewall configure program

the thing is ... the iptables firewall daemon is always running in the background, by default, with a very basic default configuration ... it could be killed, but it is better to just set the rules to the basic default

Puppy 2.0.2 seems to have rules in the firewall that are different from the default configuration

so it is possible that it is the firewall rules that are causing your problems, and all you have to do is to configure the firewall ... or it may be something else ... but if you setup the firewall, you will know for sure that it is not the firewall rules causing your problem

another thing that is different, the ghttp web server httpd.cfg file seems to have this:
SERVER_HOSTNAME = "localhost"
but it should be:
SERVER_HOSTNAME = "any"

if you are running Apache (or Xampp) this would not affect you

bongmaster

#7 Post by bongmaster »

wen i configured the firewall it blocked all incoming so no one could access my server at all (not good)

im running xampp because i host a forum..

this problem seems to have started since puppy 2xx. 109 was ok..
but i need to upgrade..

like i said, its only some people, not all.. most can access ok..

i'll look at wat u said about rules..

any guesses as to why my second partition isnt mounting on boot?
*Under Renewal*

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

it might be the firewall ... or not

if it's the firewall, it would be easy to fix (just fix the rules)

if it's something else, it could be more difficult to figure out

it was not possible to easily edit fstab in earlier versions of Puppy 1.x ... i don't know if you can edit it in Puppy 2.0.2 (you can edit it, but in Puppy 1.x it would be overwritten by the default fstab every time Puppy booted ... for Puppy 2.0.2, it might be that fstab is saved, but that saved fstab file may not be available until after Puppy has already mounted the default file system, so it wouldn't be used ... i'm not sure of the exact details of how Puppy 2.0.2 works, it's a bit different)

fluxit

#9 Post by fluxit »

As long your changes to fstab are being preserved, you should be able to add mount -a to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and have your partition mount at boot time.

bongmaster

#10 Post by bongmaster »

i have added a mount command to rc.local.. that should clear that up..

i really need to stop the firewall from blocking everything wen i set it up then it wouldnt be too bad..

still trying to figure out why some people are blocked.

[Edit] I have tried configureing the firewall in a few different ways.. but nothing seems to stop it from blocking everything..

activate firewall = no one gets in.
deactivate = its buisness as usuil (appart fromthe few having problems accessing)

is there another firewall with puppy, or a .pup? (what is the firewall with puppy 2.02? )
*Under Renewal*