Linux for Compac Armada 1572 48 Mb

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
fossiili

Linux for Compac Armada 1572 48 Mb

#1 Post by fossiili »

I have a Compac Armada 1572 48 Mb. Windows 95 runs well in it.

I know, that 48 Mb is not enough for Puppy but I tryed to start Puppy 1.0.8. The Puppy starting 3.5" floppy works well and installation from CD starts.

A problem appears when Puppy installer asks for some login name and password. root or guest does not work or I can not guess the right password. What login name and password I should use :?:

Is there any really small Linux hopefully as a live CD you could recommend for my Compac?

I know that somewere in the Internet 64 Mb memorychips even for 1572 are sold. Unfortunately I do not have a credit card. Any possibilities to buy from Europe so I could use international bank transfer?

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

Perennial enquiry!! When you see a request for U/N & P/W it just means you haven't got enough memory for Puppy. eBay?
I resurrected my old Armada - no screen and k/b, so std. units attached externally! It has a C550 and I fitted 256Mb. It runs P2alpha perfectly, Touchpad, everything. Extremely slow to boot first time around, but beautiful when it finally makes it.

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

How many spare SODIMM slots do you have?
I possess one only spare:
Toshiba THLY6480H1FG-80 DIMM 144PIN 64Mb
which works in Armada.
If you remove your present SODIMM, this one may run P2 on its own? However, if you can add this one you would have 112Mb, which would be more than adequate for any Puppy version provided you have a swap file or partition, even of quite modest size.

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

Any chance of a reply, foss?

SnowDog

#5 Post by SnowDog »

Puppy will run on several 1500 series armada's with 48Mb ram.
I have five of them, 1571DM, 1598DMT, 1590DMT, 1530DMT,1573DMT.
I have tried the same memory chip and one of two hard drives in them all (running Puppy 2.02, or Puppy 1.09 CE) and also booted them all from cd. They all work, but some of the bigger apps are slow to start.
I have 250Mb swap partition and the rest ext2 on one hdd.
I have NTFS, 250Mb swap and ext2= 1gig on other drive, dual booting XP and Puppy.

P.S. - SAGE... All my 1500's have only one sodimm expansion slot.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

I checked my Armada E500 (now 550) - it has two SODIMM slots. It is very easy to check in this instance, they are underneath where the k/b used to be, smiling up at me! So much more convenient for upgrading? It doesn't have a screen either, but works very well with conventional peripherals.

SnowDog

#7 Post by SnowDog »

Yes Sage, I have a pair of those as well (e500's). That's very handy having the little clips to lift the keyboard. They are also capale of carrying three batteries at once by replacing the floppy and cdrom.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

Sage

#8 Post by Sage »

I know nothing of 'handy' and 'little clips', SD. My E500 was a gift, presumably because the k/b and screen had been smashed!!!

SnowDog

#9 Post by SnowDog »

Oops.
Re-reading your post, I realize that you said you had no keyboard.

They have four wee plastic clips along the top of the keyboard, which one simply "clicks" toward the bottom with a pointy type tool. This releases the keyboard (except for the ribbon cable) and allows it to be stood up or flipped over, thereby allowing almost instant access to the two sodimm slots beneath. Both of mine are complete and working, or I'd send you some spare parts. They are really quite nice machines.

Incidentally, Do you know anything about Sager laptops? In particular, the sound system in same?
I have an otherwise nice PIII that I can't seem to talk into making any sounds in Puppy, Debian, Knoppix, Mepis or DSL (haven't tried windows).

Sage

#10 Post by Sage »

If you ever encounter a scrap k/b that would be doubly useful as there's only a single PS/2 port, so I must rely on the Touchpad rather than a proper mouse. I don't have a splitter and the USB-PS/2 cable is unreliable in Linux.
Other than that, I've no desire to replace the screen as I'm tripping over old monitors here, and - surprise, surprise - crt s use half the juice of many lcd s!
As for Sager, never heard of them, but I might sue them for trade mark violation......

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Sage wrote:...crt s use half the juice of many lcd s!
Where do you get the information for such a statement? I measured the power consumption of same-size CRT and LCD monitors set to approximately the same brightness, and the CRT uses approximately 5 times the power that the LCD uses.

Billcnz

#12 Post by Billcnz »

Very early LCD's used to suck a lot of current but the technology has changed a lot since then. If you google: "LCD versus CRT" you'll find several sources saying the LCD's use a lot less energy up to 70% less for the same size screen.

Sage

#13 Post by Sage »

You are, of course, almost correct, Billcnz. Most of the lcd s kicking around here are early varieties. You might find this article helpful, too:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33794
Although this is a contemporary evaluation, it more or less fits with my observations, which I found quite surprising. Moreover, we have some of the greediest traders in the world - rip off Britain. They are still still trying to dump tons of old stock on uninformed consumers which are power hungry. 90% of lcd TV s on the high street still don't have a Freeview tuner, most DVD recorders still don't have twin tuners, and they have homed in on HD-ready as a selling point, without explaining that the standards are still not agreed and that Sky requires an horrendous extra subscription for the only available partial HD service.
Probably, we are still a decade away from OLED s, advanced led back lighting and reflective lighting technologies?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

Thanks for the link, Sage. The article referred to tested the various display technologies used as TVs, not monitors. I wouldn't think there'd be much difference between the power consumption of a TV and a monitor, especially between LCDs, but my Watts Up power meter measured much more difference between monitors than the article shows between TVs. Nevertheless, LCDs generally use less power than CRTs, and far less than plasma. I haven't had a chance to measure the power consumption of a plasma display. It's surprising how much power they use.

SnowDog

#15 Post by SnowDog »

SAGE:
re: trade mark violation...
I hadn't made the connection till you mentioned it. Sage/Sager :-)

I will keep an eye out for a spare keyboard for you.
Do you have any spare batteries for those (e500's) or for the 1500 series? and/or, if you need any other parts for obscure laptops, just give a holler, as I may have some.