Are Applications Modified for Puppy?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
gerry

#1 Post by gerry »

Are applications modified in any way when included in Puppy? If so...

Debian had a row with Mozilla several years ago, because they wanted the freedom to fix problems in Firefox themselves in advance of the official fix from Mozilla. This lead to the rebranding of Firefox as Iceweasel, because Mozilla said that if you call it Firefox then it's got to BE Firefox.

Is Puppy in danger of being in the same situation with (for instance) Seamonkey? Or Abiword?

Gerry

Monsie

#2 Post by Monsie »

That's an interesting question, gerry.
I am guessing it has to do in part with the difficulties you have been having with SeaMonkey in Slacko.... (I just finished reading some bits from that thread).

The short, quick answer is yes.... but not in the sense that you are talking about so, no I don't think Puppy has too much to worry about.

In terms of third party software such as browsers, any modifications done would be within the allowable parameters that are involved with compiling the source code. So, for example, I believe that SeaMonkey can be compiled so as not to include automatic updates, but someone else can confirm this... As far as I know, however, nobody within the community is re-writing browser code to take care of security issues etc, like the debian developers/maintainers. So, no, we're not in the same league as Debian.

That said, I'm sure some other members can add some meaningful bits to this discussion.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

They may be compiled or packaged differently for example without help files, some other bloat such as themes may be stripped out.
The idea is not to modify code (that has been done for bugs) but to use the standard package as efficiently as possible. Package developers are informed of any bugs in the hope they will modify the code.
Puppy on occasion goes back to older code when newer code is unreliable or unstable or not working with Puppy components. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D