Samsung CLP-320 Printer

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
SteveT

Samsung CLP-320 Printer

#1 Post by SteveT »

Because none of the drivers I tried from the forum worked with this printer on Slacko 5.3.3 I installed the Samsung unified driver from the Samsung website.

Although it has previously been reported that this software crashes CUPS in Puppy this has not happened with my set-up.

However, because the Samsung software failed to print I loaded the PPD file in CUPS with success.but I had to leave the Samsung software installed as well otherwise printing failed.

I also downloaded the Smart Panel and Printer Set Up utilities from Samsung and these operate successfully - so far other software has not been affected. However these two utilities have to be re-installed for each session.

I hope this information helps other users and I would be interested to hear if other users have had a similar experience.

I would also like to know why Samsung software caused CUPS to crash with other versions of Puppy but not the Slacko Puppy 5.3.3 I am using, or is it my PC - AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core with 2GB memory.?

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

@SteveT: I tested a recent Samsung Unified Driver v3.00.71.07 in Slacko and Lupu with my SCX-3200. It did not kill CUPS like the old versions did, so I expect that they have changed something in the installer.

OTOH, it still did not work correctly as you discovered. It got to "Choose a driver that will convert ...." and had to be cancelled. However, by that point in the procedure, it had installed some key files - /usr/lib/cups/filter/ rastertosamsungspl and /usr/share/cups/model/scx3200.ppd. So I was able to install my printer in CUPS using the standard auto-detection procedure.

The same thing has happened to you. The only question is whether colour Samsung models need additional content. If you go here, the samsung_mono-4.00.35.pet contains just the filter and the PPD file for the mono HL and SCX models.

In the past, I have tried to build the matching PET for the colour models, but testers could not get it to work. I have attached a new PET just for your CLP-320. It will require a fresh install so there are no conflicts with the Unified Driver. Please test and report back.

SteveT

#3 Post by SteveT »

Many thanks rcrsn51.

The samsung_mono-4.00.35.pet was one of the drivers I tried previously.

Many thanks for the one specifically for the clp-320.

I'll try it in a new install and report back too.

Thanks again,

Steve

SteveT

#4 Post by SteveT »

To rcrsn51

I've tried the samsung_CLP_320-1.1.0.pet and it seems to work well although the colour-matching is not as good as the Samsung software.

Not surprisingly both Smart Panel and Printer Set-Up utilities give a 'load a compatible driver' error.

I also tried the samsung_unified-2.5.3.pet and this is successful too.

Many thanks for your help.

Steve

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

SteveT wrote:I've tried the samsung_CLP_320-1.1.0.pet and it seems to work well although the colour-matching is not as good as the Samsung software. ...I also tried the samsung_unified-2.5.3.pet and this is successful too.
The old samsung_unified-2.5.3.pet has LESS colour-matching content than the samsung_CLP_320-1.1.0.pet, so I'm curious where the CMS functionality is coming from.

Did you get superior colour-matching with the unified installer OOTB, or did it come from the setup software?

SteveT

#6 Post by SteveT »

rcrsn51 wrote:
SteveT wrote:I've tried the samsung_CLP_320-1.1.0.pet and it seems to work well although the colour-matching is not as good as the Samsung software. ...I also tried the samsung_unified-2.5.3.pet and this is successful too.
The old samsung_unified-2.5.3.pet has LESS colour-matching content than the samsung_CLP_320-1.1.0.pet, so I'm curious where the CMS functionality is coming from.

Did you get superior colour-matching with the unified installer OOTB, or did it come from the setup software?
The better colour matching came from the Samsung Unified Driver (colours are lighter than the PET software)

Unfortunately I have to correct my earlier comments as with further testing the 320 pet has problems printing from Firefox/Seamonkey screens and Foxit pdf viewer.
Prints a duplicated page with a smaller font size and the printing is separated by blank lines - see attached file.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Run the CUPS web interface and find the definition for your printer. Does the Connection look like "usb://samsung..." or "mfp:/dev/mpf4....."?

Using a clean install, please try the PET below. Does it help?

If not, look in your Unified package folder and go to cdroot/LInux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd. Drag the entire cms folder into /usr/share/cups/model/Samsung. You should already have this folder containing a single file. Does that improve printing?

I can't figure out what additional content the Unified installer copies to your hard drive that has such an effect on print quality.

SteveT

#8 Post by SteveT »

Many thanks.

The connection gives usb://samsung....

I've tried the samsung_CLP_320-3.00.71.pet and it appears to work perfectly.

The colours are well matched and no problems with SeaMonkey - when I've loaded the other software I use I'll check again.

The Samsung Smart Panel and Printer Set-Up utilities also work.

Many thanks

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

SteveT wrote:I've tried the samsung_CLP_320-3.00.71.pet and it appears to work perfectly.
Excellent! Thank you for testing this. It resolves a long-standing problem with these Samsung colour models. It means that we can have a colour version of the samsung_mono.pet and avoid using the Unified Installer.

Users would still need to download the large CMS database, but they could then delete the files that don't apply to their model.
The Samsung Smart Panel and Printer Set-Up utilities also work.
Could you explain what you are doing with these? I tried installing them but couldn't make anything useful happen.

SteveT

#10 Post by SteveT »

Many thanks again for all the work you have put into this - it's much appreciated.

Regarding the Smart Panel and Printer Set-Up utilities I downloaded the files and unpacked them which put them into a 'cdroot' folder.
After going into the smartpanel sub-folder I clicked on 'install.sh' to install.
This put an icon on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen next to the firewall icon.
when this is clicked to open, it shows the current status of the printer including the toner left in each cartridge and access to the user's guide.

Using the same process to install the PSU connects this to the Smart Panel icon - this shows various pieces of information including the no. of pages printed and should allow you to change settings.

I've attached 3 screen images to demonstrate.

Let me know if you are able to get this to work - I still find I have to re-install this with each session at present.

Thanks again,

Steve

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

I must be missing a step. When I do this, I get the Smart Panel icon. But when I click it, I get "Please install supported driver or port".

I tried this with two monochrome printers. Maybe neither of them are supported by the Smart Panel? I notice that your setup is finding the usb://samsung device OK.

Are you also installing the Unified package?

SteveT

#12 Post by SteveT »

I had the same message as you at first with the PET drivers but not later but I don't know why it recognised the driver later.

I'm only running your latest 320 driver although when I installed both unified pet and your 1st 320 driver the smart panel did work.

I'll see if I can reproduce your error message with a new install.

If the monochrome printers have a smart panel file attached on the Samsung support web page I would expect them to work.

Are you using the same puppy as me?

SteveT

#13 Post by SteveT »

In a new install I loaded the samsung_mono-4.00.35.pet and installed my printer in CUPS using the SCX-3200 driver.

I then downloaded the Smart panel file for that printer from the Samsung website Smartpanel_0.93.tar.gz, extracted and installed it.

(my printer requires the 1.10 smart panel file)

This Smart panel found my printer (no driver or port errors) but no status was available as it was the wrong printer.

Is it the Smartpanel_0.93.tar.gz that you are using?

I hope this helps.

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

I duplicated your procedure - Slacko 533, the samsung_mono-4.00.35.pet and the Smartpanel_0.93.tar.gz. I got the same "Please install supported driver or port". error.

I suspect that some models just don't support the Smart Panel feature, even though it's listed on the web site.

In any case, I have posted a new samsung_colour-3.00.71.pet here. I hope that it works equally well for other CLP/CLX models.

SteveT

#15 Post by SteveT »

Sorry to hear that.

I have also gone through the same procedure with an Epson D92 and SCX-3200 driver and this gives the driver, port error so you may well be right.

May be worth contacting Samsung.

SteveT

#16 Post by SteveT »

You may also like to know that the Smart Panel and PSU software conflict with Thunderbird when printing an email - letters are very widely spaced.

Printing PDF files, text and Firefox pages appear not to be affected.

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are you saying that Thunderbird prints OK if Smart Panel is NOT installed?

I can't see how Smart Panel affects the operation of the printer driver.

SteveT

#18 Post by SteveT »

Printing in Thunderbird was fine once I uninstalled Smartpanel and PSU However I haven't been able to reproduce this problem today - no problems with Thunderbird - I did change Thunderbird preferences yesterday though.
(they were the initial default settings)