shareInternet-2.2.6.pet - Puppy as router - bugfix

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Atle

Your Pet is nominated for QuickPet in Lucid 5.2.6

#81 Post by Atle »

Still i admit its not been tested yet, as I do not have two PCs at the moment.

Can anyone please check if it works in 5.2.6?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=1140

The nominee list is here http://privat.schoolux.org/index.php/lucid-526

Forum thread here:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70450

blindsound

from 3g to ethernet

#82 Post by blindsound »

Hi,
I'm trying to share my 3g modem connection with ethernet port (connected to linksys wifi).

I'm not shore what i'm missing on the sharing part, i did try the same thing using a mac computer and work great. Try again with puppy and got stuck.

Is there any way I can check if internet is really sharing? Did try to connect directly to another computer (no linksys wifi, just ethernet from port to port) and couldn't get any connection shared.

I try using Firewall installer and "shareInternet" (got the green light) but internet is not being shared.

I will really appreciate any help.

WB7ODYFred

testing connection for Internet Sharing? Ping your computr

#83 Post by WB7ODYFred »

Ping your Computer to test connectivity between Computer Interfaces.
List the IPTABLES to see what goes where??
For purposes of notation:

Internet<===>WiFi ath5k----Desktop----E'netPort1<==crossover ethernet cable===>Server(2nd desktop)

Internet<===>WiFi 192.168.1.9----Desktop----E'net 10.0.0.4<==crossover ethernet cable===> 10.0.0.40 Server(2nd desktop)

HERE IS the CONNECTIONS here.
1.) Wifi Card and one Ethernet card in PuppyLinux Box
2.)cable to [HUB] cable to [Server static 10.0.0.40]
192.168.1.9 (dhcp WIFI Ath5k card) <---> [PuppyLinux CoolPup Box] routing 10.0.0.4 (eht0) <----cable to switch/hub -----> [ switch/hub ]
<------- cable to server -----> [ 10.0.0.40 (eth0) Server set with static IP ] * router DHCP server is turned off (not needed)

This shareInternet app worked for me when I manually ran "AppNow"
I also used Rox-Filer to open diretory /root/my-roxapps/ and just clicked on the directory named shareInternet. It ran the script and placed a green dot over the shareInternet ICON. Now my internet was sharing/routing to the server at IP number 10.0.0.40

Code: Select all

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   180 2012-07-25 17:12 shareInternet
Here is a sequence of Shell Commands that work for me on PuppyLinux.
  • ifconfig ( List wired interface configuration)
    iwconfig ( List wireless interface configuration)
    route -n (what is the present route setup?)
    ping -c 3 he.net (check that we can ping through Wifi to an internet address for Hurricane Electric in Fremont California. ie easy to type address)
  • ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.4 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    ping -c 3 10.0.0.40 (check if I can ping the server at 10.0.0.40 through eth0 from PuppyLinux Box
1. Start Sharing Internet
2. Stopped Sharing Internet (id Flushes out old rules from iptables which maybe causing your source of problems with NOT SHARING! )[/list]

/sbin/iptables -L -v -n –line-numbers
  • 3. Start Sharing Internet (initializes IPTABLES with the rules)

/sbin/iptables -L -v -n –line-numbers
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
4. From the Server Box, Ping the Puppy Linux box (check ethernet cable / hub is connected)
ping -c 3 10.0.0.4 (check cable is connected to Puppy Linux box)
ping -c 3 216.218.168.2 (Check if can ping "he.net" website )
ping -c 3 he.net (check if internet connection sharing is working!)
This command exercises the DNS (Domain Naming Service) Look Up from servers outside the PuppyLinux box and the local server box.

Phil Chen has an example of using RAW iptable commands to perform the port forwarding.
http://www.philchen.com/2011/06/21/how- ... eriptables
*Make sure the iptables service is started, then run the script

*Beware /sbin/iptables -F will flush your existing rules if you have any so make sure you run
/sbin/iptables -L -v -n –line-numbers and see. If you have any rules add them to the script.

*If you are using a different src and dst IP you will want to enable ip forwarding:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
Google is your friend. Good Luck searching and reading.
Well Minded search of Puppy Linux Forums!! Really Good Tool
http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

I worked this out for me. Tell / Share with others what worked for you.
"shareInternet" app uses linux shell scripts so will work on most any PuppyLinux version. It is not a binary file tied to ONE version of Linux. It might also work on other Linux Distributions if the script files are edited to match the proper DIRECTORY names for that Linux Distribution. Download and unpack with command

tar xvf  shareInternet-2.2.4.pet
Then read and study the shell script files.
I ran "firstTime" script to install shareInternet.

The test_share_internet.sh script basically runs the comand to list the IPTables from puppylinux acting as a router. you can see the ethernet eth0 port forwarded to the wifi wlan0 port.
Fred
Attachments
test_share_internet.tar.gz
test_share_internet.sh bash shell script
test_share_intrnt_output.txt output from test script before and after running shareInternet
shareinternet_image.png Green Dot over shareInternet ICON
shareinternet_image_off.png NO Green Dot over shareInte
(34.41 KiB) Downloaded 1186 times
shareInternet_image.png
ShareInternet_image.png with the Green Dot
(15.09 KiB) Downloaded 3660 times
Last edited by WB7ODYFred on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 00:50, edited 3 times in total.

blindsound

Great!

#84 Post by blindsound »

Thanks for the reply Fred !
I'm facing some issues with the computer holding Puppy, so my tests are suspended at the moment.
As soon as I solve it, I will follow you steps.
Thanks again!

aarf

#85 Post by aarf »

havent read the thread through.
want to put these link here for cross reference and so i dont lose this thread when i finally get my new equipment. was worried about getting the right driver for the hostapd pet.
dont know if it is a driver problem with shareinternet.pet for wifi hotspot.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68127
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68045

gyro

#86 Post by gyro »

Useful things to know about shareInternet.

1) Do NOT use it in conjunction with any "firewall" software, including puppy's own.

Why is it so?

shareInternet does not need to be configured with the 2 network interfaces, it works them out itself,
including which one is the upstream interface and which is the downstream interface.

This is so it can be used just as easily to share a PPP connection over wired ethernet,
as to share a wired ethernet over wifi, or wifi over wired ethernet.

But, this requires the names of the appropriate connections to be reflected in the iptables rules used as the firewall.
So shareInternet generates it's own iptables rules, after it works out which interfaces to use.

2) The other most likely problem with running shareInternet, is configuring the downstream interface.

shareInternet can work it all out provided there are 2 and only 2 active interfaces,
one of which is correctly configured as an upstream interface and the other correctly configured as a downstream interface.

upstream requirements:
Normal client network interface, usually configured using dhcp.

downstream requirements:
Usually this interface is configured statically.
Define an IP address and subnet-mask, in a different subnet from the upstream interface.
i.e. if the upstream network is 192.168.1.0 then choose something like 192.168.2.1 as the IP address of the downstream interface.
Neither a Gateway nor DNS should be supplied for this interface.
The classical network wizard allowed you to do this. Some of the newer network configuration utilities will not.

3) shareInternet can not have driver problems. It is just a script that works out what needs to be done, then runs appropriately configured standard software, in an appropriate manner.

4) If I remember correctly, the pet contains a "dnsmasq" binary. If it does, it might be appropriate to replace it with a newer version.

gyro

Atle

#87 Post by Atle »

Gyro...

What is your opinion on level of difficulty to use ShareInternet and Hostapd, as for sharing a mobile internet connection by using your built in Wlan card(if supported by Hostapd)

I find ShareInternet one of the most inventive Pet's and must say its been REALLY useful and also is a great showcase for Puppy technologies.

Atle

gyro

hostpad?

#88 Post by gyro »

Atle,

Thanks for your kind words.

Sorry that I haven't replied earlier; I don't look in this forum very often these days.

As to Hostpad and ShareInternet, it should not be a problem so long as Hostpad always runs first.
Since ShareInternet's only requirements are 2 active interfaces with IP addresses, 1 of which must have a gateway defined. ShareInternet should not care if wifi interface is a normal client or an AccessPoint. Just remember that if wifi is the downstream interface then it should have a statically defined IP and no gateway defined (since it is the gateway for all downstream devices).

Gyro

technosaurus

#89 Post by technosaurus »

I've been working on a "web accelerator" and ad blocker app (started out of frustration with webpage lockups on waiting for ajax.googleapis.com and kindof exploded as I considered the possibilities)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82639
I was wondering if modification of /etc/hosts or /etc/resolve.conf affected the internet sharing.

For instance, does Pup-advert-blocker block ads on the shared connections?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

gyro

#90 Post by gyro »

technosaurus wrote:For instance, does Pup-advert-blocker block ads on the shared connections?
If the downstream computers use "dhcp" to configure their network, then "dnsmasq" on the sharing computer will be their dns server. So any changes on the sharing machine that get seen by dnsmasq will affect the dns results for downstream computers.
So, the real answer to your question is in the dnsmasq doco.

However if the downstream computers set their own dns server IP address, then the sharing computer can have no influence on their dns responses.

Once the downstream computers start sending packets to outside IP addresses, only the firewall rules can make a difference.

Gyro

mpierrat25

tuto

#91 Post by mpierrat25 »

[Resolved] sorry forgot this post I just re read the thread and I got it!!

I'like to test and use this facility but failed , please help.

My config :

wrt54G feeding puppypc via Wifi (wlan0 slacko 5.4)
puppypc connected via ethernet (eth0) to android netbook

as soon as i run shareinternet I lost the Internet on wlan0

Please let me know how to setup interfaces.

regards

Atle

#92 Post by Atle »

Has anyone tried, have opinion or experience with replacing the Ethernet with a USB cable? I think my crossed ethernet cable is broken and also see that using USB might... thats a might... be just as good? Or?

Agnishom

#93 Post by Agnishom »

I am using Lucid Puppy 528. I installed the dotpet but I cannot find an way to start the program.

What to do?

Semme

#94 Post by Semme »

Agnishom- is pups firewall enabled? You should have a few scripts in /usr/local/shareInternet..

Read on.. you might not need it.

gyro

#95 Post by gyro »

Agnishom wrote:I installed the dotpet but I cannot find an way to start the program.
If I remember correctly there is a ROX application somewhere in "/root". Could be in "/root/my-applications" or something like "/root/my-rox-applications".
When you find it, you can just drag it to the desktop.

gyro

Atle

#96 Post by Atle »

Gyro...

I might be out of luck here, but is there a way to share internet using USB cables or even a USB hub? Could that possibly work?

How about "one to one" PC connection as twisted Ehternet does?

gyro

#97 Post by gyro »

Atle wrote:I might be out of luck here, but is there a way to share internet using USB cables or even a USB hub? Could that possibly work?
Basically you are out of luck. USB is not usually part of networking.
Atle wrote:How about "one to one" PC connection as twisted Ehternet does?
Yes, here you have a chance. First thing to watch is that you may need a "crossover" cable.
If you connect both PC's to an ethernet switch, this will be sorted automatically by the switch.

gyro

Atle

#98 Post by Atle »

Hi Gyro...

I used to have a smartphone. And that could share internet by USB or Wlan.

Due to the Wlan using all the battery, I normally used USB and also then charged the phone at the same time.

Puppy Linux has so far just accepted the USB connection as IF it was a normal ethernet coming out of a router.

I could test this my self, but dont have the gear as we speak.

But what i wanted to test was if you use a Puppy that supports ShareInternet and hook it up to a USB hub in order to hook up more Puppy computers, if that would provide internet sharing?

I guess the main issue is a matter of testing, but also if ShareInternet could share internet using USB, as my android did.

Imagine playing LAN games over USB :-) OR other possibilities that arises.

Justplaying around with the idea as ShareInternet is ranked as one of the very best pets out there. ITs homebrew and uniqe

gyro

#99 Post by gyro »

Atle,

shareInternet simply doesn't work at that level. It only works after you have 2 working network interfaces. Usually you can see these using the "ifconfig" command in a console.
So, if you find a way to get Puppy to talk IP over USB, then shareInternet will do what you want. If Puppy can't do it, then shareInternet won't either.
Imagine playing LAN games over USB
I can't get my mind past the simplicity of playing LAN games over an ethernet switch.

Gyro

Atle

#100 Post by Atle »

:-)

Thanks Gyro...

I try just for the fun, if i get my hands on the right gear:-)