Karl Godt

#141 Post by Karl Godt »

Henry, there is nothing much you can do exept
1) blacklist all graphic drivers
2) down or upgrade hardware
3) use modeset=0 for the main kernel graphics driver
4) use an older or even newer kernel
5) use a kernel with other .config configuration

From what i can see in your list the older kernels and newer work better with your graphics .

Karl Godt

#142 Post by Karl Godt »

Before i forget : It seems to me that since busybox init is exec from /sbin/init script, the kernel parameters are not getting passed anymore to rc.sysinit script .

Code: Select all

### kernel parameters ###
parse_kernel_params(){
for item in `cat /proc/cmdline`;do
#bash [[ "$item" =~ "=" ]] || item="$item=1"
#ash
[ "`echo "$item" |grep '='`" ] || item="${item}=1"
item=${item//\./DDD}
eval $item
export $item
done
}
parse_kernel_params
### kernel parameters ###
Last edited by Karl Godt on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

#143 Post by Henry »

Karl,

I do thank you for your observations. There is a lot here that I don't understand. I will get back when I do or if I have an intelligent question.

As a longtime user of puppy only I see the difficulty of making all the right choices. Not so simple as "new computer, new Racy, no problem."

I find I need a new kernel to accommodate the graphics and the newer wireless detection on my new computer. Both work except for the described problem. I also want xfce for my established business praciice, hence the choice of RacyNop. I am still hopeful. QuirkyNop has filled all my needs for years, but it does not fit the new netbook for portable wireless.

I am simply a long term user, not a developer, and want Racy to be all it can.

http://www.henrystrobel.com/linux.htm
http://www.henrystrobel.com/

Karl Godt

#144 Post by Karl Godt »

Henry wrote:Karl,

I do thank you for your observations. There is a lot here that I don't understand. I will get back when I do or if I have an intelligent question.

As a longtime user of puppy only I see the difficulty of making all the right choices. Not so simple as "new computer, new Racy, no problem."

I find I need a new kernel to accommodate the graphics and the newer wireless detection on my new computer. Both work except for the described problem. I also want xfce for my established business praciice, hence the choice of RacyNop. I am still hopeful. QuirkyNop has filled all my needs for years, but it does not fit the new netbook for portable wireless.

I am simply a long term user, not a developer, and want Racy to be all it can.

http://www.henrystrobel.com/linux.htm
http://www.henrystrobel.com/
I have a Dell Optiplex 745 Desktop which is similar to the Small Form Factor too and it ran nice on racy-5.2.2 . I was using CRT 17"" AOC Spectrum 7Glr monitor and LCD 19" EIZO FlexScan L768 monitor .

The intel graphics chip seems not to work nicely ootb with Xorg-1.3.0 server on my side . I made it work, but partly disabling all kernel graphics drivers and when i drop to the prompt and start xwin again i get only 680x480 resolutions . Xorg-1.3.0 seems alter the kernel to confuse VGA and DVI/HDMI after it is launched once .

Xorg-1.11 had no problems, but on your side it might be the monitor .
The problem i had with kernel-2.6.39 was it would not reboot without kernel parameter reboot=f . So im am stuck with kernel 2.6.37 and lower .

[edit : also check if acpi=off is leftover somewhere from your old Shuttle ST62K .. , these dells seem to need acpi enabled [optiplex 755 Mini Tower refused to load i915.ko when booted with acpi=off] . In my experience acpi=force is not needed , will experiment with acpi_enforce_resources=lax .
/edit]

[update:
acpi_enforce_resources=lax
and
modprobe -v i915 modeset=0 did not work for me but
modprobe -v i915 modeset=1

options i915 modeset=1
is the default on racy-5.2.2
in /initrd/pup_ro2/etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
[/update]

Henry

#145 Post by Henry »

Thanks, Karl,

QNop-12r1 stiil perfect in the old business Dell Optiplex 745 desktop.
RacyNop 522 frugal install in the new Acer Aspire One netbook with "blind logout." Usable. Hard drive formatted to ext2 before the frugal install, grub4dos.

Monsie

Wary and Racy 5.3 final

#146 Post by Monsie »

On my Pentium3 desktop running Wary 5.3, Partview is giving me a reading of 4gb capacity for my CD drive instead of the usual 700 mb. or so. Apparently, I have a DVD drive on my old system! The readings for my other drives appear accurate. Here's a screenshot.

Monsie
Attachments
partview-bug.jpg
(166.06 KiB) Downloaded 723 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Henry

Using RacyNop-5.2.2 r1 in desktop - SOLVED

#147 Post by Henry »

Removed.

vtpup

CUPS 1.3.11 Landscape printing problem

#148 Post by vtpup »

I could not print in Landscape mode from both QCad and Libre Office. Both are essential to my work. After a lot of time troubleshooting these issues it turns out that CUPS 1.3.11 has this as a known issue, fixed in later versions. I have read also that Barry chose 1.3.11 after experiencing problems with CUPS 1.4.1 using his USB printer, which wasn't recognized.

CUPS has moved on and is now at ver 1.5+ Supposedly the Landscape problem was solved by 1.4.2.

The problem seems to be centered around filtering via xpdf, If PS level 2 is chosen in Libre Office rather than pdf, landscape printing seems to work temporarily.

I wonder if this issue has been addressed or will be addressed?
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

canbyte

#149 Post by canbyte »

Does racy 5.3 support dual monitors? Somewhere I read that Barry had put some code into xorg.conf in the Woof lineup, of which racy is a descendent, no? Can I assume that any procedure needed is self evident or is manual setup needed here as well? Thanks

My previous attempts to setup are here, but am not getting too far.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 829#642829
[color=orange]1. Dell Dimension E521, AMD Athln 64, 2 GHz 1.93GB ram,
Puppy 533 on CD, accesses flash drive only,
FFox Nightly12.0
2. Compaq P3 733Hz 375RAM
Printer: Oki C3400 > LAN [/color]

rerwin

Package of fixes ported from lucid pup

#150 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
I created a set of fixes made to lucid pup that are also appropriate for all woof-generated puppies. I posted it in the precisepup 5.2.60 thread because that puppy was the latest at the time. I know a few of the affected scripts received further updates from you, so that needs to be accounted for. The posting includes unified difference listings to assist integration of the changes.

Please check the posting here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 525#633525
and consider the fixes for inclusion in woof. Thanks.
Richard

Dewbie

#151 Post by Dewbie »

Latest WakePup2 .pet file creates floppy and works fine with 4.x Puppies and Wary 5.1.1.

The problem is with Wary 5.1.4.1.
After .pet is installed, floppy cannot be created, as dialog box will not open.
Check dependencies installed pkg shows nothing missing.
Launching from terminal generates error message (see attached).

This might also affect later Wary builds.
I only have Wary 5.1.1 and 5.1.4.1 (and dial-up); that's why I'm referring strictly to those two.
(I'm also curious as to whether this problem affects recent builds of Lucid and Slacko.)
Attachments
Wakepup2-error.jpg
From terminal
(8.85 KiB) Downloaded 1480 times

01micko

#152 Post by 01micko »

Dewbie,

That was part of my crusade to get rid of gtkdialog2 awhile ago, so i patched it, actually only took a minute. I can't test as I have no working floppy drives.

NOTE: the image is not present in the pet, if you want the image to do a proper test download wakepup2 first.. either get the one from the link in Dewbie's post or from ibiblio/pet_packages-4
Attachments
wakepup2_NOIMAGE-120804.pet
(1.93 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Dewbie

#153 Post by Dewbie »

Thanks for posting, 01micko.
Is the NOIMAGE .pet supposed to be installed with the WakePup2 .pet?
I tested this; makes no difference with Wary 5.1.4.1; same problem.
Again, my concern is that this might also affect later Wary builds.

NOIMAGE .pet also blocks WakePup create boot floppy when tested with Wary 5.1.1 and 4.x Puppy Linux. Without NOIMAGE .pet, everything works OK.

So apparently the gtkdialog / WakePup2 issue started somewhere between 5.1.2 and 5.1.4.1.

Attached is an image of what's supposed to appear when everything is working correctly with a WakePup2 .pet installed.
Attachments
Create-wp2.jpg
(47.48 KiB) Downloaded 1409 times
Last edited by Dewbie on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 08:24, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#154 Post by 01micko »

Dewbie wrote:Is the NOIMAGE .pet supposed to be installed with the WakePup2 .pet?
Yes.

Install the NOIMAGE pet second. Maybe those older wary versions don't have gtkdialog4? It requires gtkdialog4 as the older gtkdialog3 has a bug where it can't read from stdout, resolved by moose-on-the-loose I believe. If there is no gtkdialog4 in your wary you can download it and install it from ibiblio or mirrors. I'm pretty sure all wary versions have the prerequisites.

Your screeny looks almost identical to what displays on my desktop. I just can't test the underlying code. ie: writing the image.
Attachments
capture32552.png
(37.97 KiB) Downloaded 1778 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Crash

#155 Post by Crash »

I tried 01micko's fix and it writes a boot floppy fine using Wary Puppy 5.3.

I'll take a look at the script and see if it can be modified with an "if exist" branch or something so it works with all versions of Puppy.

/// Edited a few hours later:

Attached is an "A" version of 01micko's pet file. It works with either the older or newer versions of Puppy Linux. It looks for gtkdialog4 and uses that if it exists. Otherwise, it uses gtkdialog2.

/// Edited Aug. 9:

I replaced the "A" version with the attached "C" version (the "B" version didn't work too well).
This version first tries to use gtkdialog2, then gtkdialog4, and then gtkdialog3 as a last resort.
This isn't too hard to do in a ten line program, but would be kind of a pain in a thousand line program.

/// Third edit Aug 15:

I posted a full version of Wakepup 2, using this script and an updated floppy image, at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80291

///
Attachments
wakepup2_NOIMAGE-120804C.pet
(2.04 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Last edited by Crash on Wed 15 Aug 2012, 08:06, edited 3 times in total.

rerwin

Multisession boot-up ignores file deletions

#156 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
While attempting to develop in a multisession environment, I discovered that if I delete a file, save to CD, then reboot (without further saving), the deleted file remains in place. The whiteout file for it does get written to the generated delta directory but appears to be ignored in the process of setting up the pup_ro1 layer in the reboot session.

I assume the fix belongs in the initrd.gz file, which is currently outside of my "territory". Now that I have pointed out the issue, I trust that the solution will be obvious to you. Please consider correcting this during your woof upgrade. Thanks.
Richard

Karl Godt

#157 Post by Karl Godt »

I would like to add a request for pupzip script.

After a while running Puppy Linux i found out that I do not like files to be extracted with the original file "being deleted" .

Cause is if it is a .diff file for example, any accidentally changes to that file are permanent, for example.

I have added these two lines to the .gz and .bz2 parts :

cp "$1" "${1%/*}"/tmp-"${1##*/}"
before bunzip2 or gunzip is executed
to create a temporary file
and
afterwards to restore

mv "${1%/*}"/tmp-"${1##*/}" "$1"
Not sure about .wh. whipeout files created in that process, though.
I am starting to use the term "whipeout" for the "official" term "whiteout" , because these .wh. files mainly get created while removing files.

Monsie

Wary and Racy 5.3 final

#158 Post by Monsie »

Hi Barry,

This is a follow-up to my post from July 8th concerning a bug with partview. I had a look at the file, and, where the optical drives are tagged, I changed the value on line #63 from:

ASIZE=4300000
to:

ASIZE=700000
So, now partview is showing a respectable 683 mb capacity for my CD rom drive as seen in my screenshot. Please check and confirm if this simple fix is all that is needed here.

Thanks,
Monsie
Attachments
partview-fix.tar.gz
(155.59 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Monsie

Wary and Racy 5.3 final

#159 Post by Monsie »

Barry,

On second thought...

I believe that partview is supposed to show the size of the disk partition and not necessarily the actual size of the drive --right? I also think there needs to be a value for the partition size whether the disk is a DVD or a CD, so, I changed line #63 to read:

ASIZE=4300000 700000
Since I am using a CD-r that has been "finalized" the partition size of the CD is that portion which I actually used when I burned the data onto it. Since I did not use up the disk capacity, then I show a reduced partition with zero free space as shown in my new screenshot.

That said, is it also necessary to change line #56 to read the same, namely:

ASIZE=4300000 700000
Hopefullly, I've got it right now...

Thanks,
Monsie
Attachments
partview-fix2.tar.gz
(155.68 KiB) Downloaded 502 times

Dewbie

#160 Post by Dewbie »

wakepup2_NOIMAGE-120804C.pet

Congratulations, Crash...you nailed it! :)
Last edited by Dewbie on Sat 11 Aug 2012, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.