slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
OscarTalks

#561 Post by OscarTalks »

gerry wrote:if updater works now, it will be up-to-date for ever?
I think that in most cases, with most recent Puppies, the update process for Seamonkey goes OK. There will now be a few extra tick-boxes that have appeared in your preferences menu including one for the crash reporter. You can enable automatic updates and I think that will work, although I believe it is better to disable that and just do a manual check and update from the help menu at a time of your choice when you are able to monitor the process.
Oscar in England

mikeslr

Pets or SFSes -- Why either

#562 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All, but especially for gcmartin:

Pet or SFS? Why either?

Some time ago playdaz wrote about the advantages of "program folders" and provided a tutorial. Then DaveS followed it up by creating pets called Foxyfox and Opera-from-mnt/home (I think). Essentially, to use a program folder all you do is download the latest tgz from Seamonkey, Opera, Firefox, whatever; unpack it in mnt/home and create a symlink of its executable in one of the directories in puppy's executable path. Drag & Drop the symlink onto the desktop and give it a nice icon. Or fancy things up by creating a .desktop file so it shows up in your menu. Voila! the latest Seamonkey, Firefox, Opera. Usable/Accessible in every Puppy. Create a pet of the symlink, icon and .desktop to avoid having to manually recreate them in another puppy.
Program folders work in almost every Puppy configuration: Frugally Installed to a hard-drive, a USB-Drive, included on a CD/DVD [but if the latter, a SaveFile must be used if you want to preserve changes]. I'm fairly certain they'll even work with Full Installs.
Of course, if you're a fanatic about minimalization just unpacking a tgz may leave you with some “unnecessary

dk60902

#563 Post by dk60902 »

grump wrote:I'm now happy to say that it is stable again. The defrag seems to have fixed matters. Now all that remains is to re-do the installs of the few things I like using.

I wrote earlier today: -

I'm sad to say that Slacko 5.3.3 has cacked itself on my old Toshiba A200 laptop after months of reliable service, and I can't revive it. I run it from a CD and save on the HDD. I've even tried starting from scratch - copied off the save file and deleted the slacko sfs, and it runs ok first time but fails to save the initial setting (eg hostname etc,) properly at shutdown. It saves something but on restart I have a screen full of caution triangles, the default background is missing and it wants to do the initial setup stuff again. Back to Lupo for the time being. I'll defrag the HDD on XP and try again later.

Also posted in the Puppy on laptops thread.
I learned from my mistakes that once I get a good setup going, I make weekly backups of my savefile in case it gets corrupted or I screw something up. I put it on a flash drive, and also another copy on the HD of the computer. All I have to do is delete the corrupted savefile and replace it with my backup. I'm up and running again.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

bigpup

#564 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:1. I've just downloaded...
slacko-5.3.3-highmem-PAE-SCSI.iso

2. If I burn the live CD and run it with access to the slackosave.3fs file for...
slacko-5.3.3.1-SCSI.iso
Will this cause a problem?
Or will it be able to update the slackosave file OK?
Well, this would really be downgrading the save file from Slacko 5.3.3.1 to 5.3.3
Only way to know is try it.
Not really sure what the update process, for save files, would do with that.
I do not think the PAE would be an issue and the difference between Slacko 5.3.3.1 and 5.3.3 is not much.
I think the best answer is nobody knows till you try it.
Make a backup copy of the save file, you know why. :wink:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#565 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:Tried to do THIS with the ISO file, but it couldn't be mounted [as per part 1]. :(

I've done that OK with the ordinary ISO file [slacko-5.3.3.1-SCSI], and that worked OK, and is in use and doing the necessary. :D
Detailed many step process you are trying to do.
First idea is just did step in error.
From my experience with mounting iso files in file managers, it does not mount sometimes and seems to lock in a state where it will not. Nothing seems to work to fix.
I have done a complete reboot of Puppy and mounting an iso file now works.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sylvander

#566 Post by Sylvander »

bigpup wrote:First idea is just did step in error.
From my experience with mounting iso files in file managers, it does not mount sometimes and seems to lock in a state where it will not.
Previous to this problem event, every time I tried to complete the process there was no problem; it "just worked".
Or at least, the process could be completed, though sometimes the config change was ineffective.
So this failure to successfully mount the ISO seems most unusual to me.

bignono1

removed 532 and installed 533

#567 Post by bignono1 »

bignono1

removed 532 and installed 533

#568 Post by bignono1 »

sorry

kevin bowers

#569 Post by kevin bowers »

Sylvander wrote:Tried to do THIS with the ISO file, but it couldn't be mounted [as per part 1]. :(

I've done that OK with the ordinary ISO file [slacko-5.3.3.1-SCSI], and that worked OK, and is in use and doing the necessary. :D
Did you check the md5? I had no problems mount/unmounting the ISO in Rox, it's on a FAT32 filesystem if that matters.

Don't know about updating the savefile, but doesn't Slacko use a Slackosave.xxx where LuPu uses a lupusave? I don't have a frugal install to check on.

KJ

ROX "rescan" and "home" icons

#570 Post by KJ »

Slacko uses "slackosave-xxx.xxx savefile naming. I use Grub4dos to boot it from a ext2 partitioned full size SD card mounded in a USB convertor on my older Acer laptop with great success. You can even manually lock the SD card to "read only" if you want absolutely no saves made to your OS.

Will someone please give me the full paths for the ROX "rescan directory contents" and "change to home directory" icons.

I have used pfind with every *.png, *.rpm combo I can think might work and have viewed hundreds of icons but not these two exact icons. Thanks ... KJ

Sylvander

#571 Post by Sylvander »

kevin bowers wrote:Did you check the md5?
Yes, and it was OK.

kevin bowers wrote:I had no problems mount/unmounting the ISO in Rox, it's on a FAT32 filesystem if that matters.
It won't mount using ROX either.
The ISO file is in a folder on an NTFS filesystem.

kevin bowers wrote:Don't know about updating the savefile
I can choose to manually copy or save the changes made during the session [back to the pupsave file], either during the session or at shutdown/reboot, or not at all.

kevin bowers wrote:doesn't Slacko use a Slackosave.xxx where LuPu uses a lupusave?
Correct.
In this case I'd be using a different version of Slacko to the original version of Slacko.
The personal save file is named slackosave.3fs, but can it be used for 2 [fundamentally?] different Slacko versions?

kevin bowers

#572 Post by kevin bowers »

OscarTalks wrote:
gerry wrote:Oscar- there must be a simpler way!

I downloaded.

I unpacked (in /tmp).

Where does the renaming come in?

And do I have to go through /usr/lib/seamonkey/ and check each file against the unpacked one, and replace the old by the new one if they are different?
What I have done is actually very simple. In fact the only renaming I did was as a precaution. I renamed (rather than deleting) the existing seamonkey directory in /usr/lib (which is the old version) to seemonkeyold in case there was any problem and I needed to restore back (which I didn't - it has worked OK on 2 machines running Slacko 5.3.3 so I have now deleted).

The downloaded tarball unpacks as a single directory named seamonkey (so does not need renaming). This can be done anywhere. After the rename just move the new directory into /usr/lib so it replaces the renamed one. No need to do anything with the files inside it.

I guess you could say all you need to do is download (to /mnt/home or /root), delete (seamonkey folder from /usr/lib), unpack (to /usr/lib).

You will find that features such as automatic and manual updates and the crash reporter are now included. Profile information such as bookmarks and settings are not lost because they are stored elsewhere.
Downloaded from where?

kevin bowers

#573 Post by kevin bowers »

Sylvander wrote: The ISO file is in a folder on an NTFS filesystem.
It's a long shot, but try copying the .iso to a FAT32 or ext(x) filesystem? Sometimes NTFS and Puppy (well, all Linux) don't get along.

Sylvander

#574 Post by Sylvander »

kevin bowers wrote:try copying the .iso to a FAT32 or ext(x) filesystem? Sometimes NTFS and Puppy (well, all Linux) don't get along.
Here's the thing...
Every other time previous to this failure to mount the ISO...
When I was normally able to mount various ISO files with no problem...
ALL such ISO files are on this very same partition that uses an NTFS filesystem.
So it would seem that Puppy has had no problem with this NTFS filesystem.

gerry

#575 Post by gerry »

Kevin- I Googled "Seamonkey", top hit was the Seamonkey site, clicked on "Download", .........

EDIT: Chose "save" rather than "Run". It downloaded the file into the /tmp directory.

Gerry

OscarTalks

#576 Post by OscarTalks »

kevin bowers wrote:Downloaded from where?
Seamonkey download page is here:-
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases

You can even select a language option from the list of Linux versions down the right-hand side of the page.
Oscar in England

tlchost

LibreOffice for Slacko

#577 Post by tlchost »

Appears that LibreOffice 3.60 is avialable. Wondering if it can be made available in the repository?

Thanks

Thom

bigpup

Re: LibreOffice for Slacko

#578 Post by bigpup »

tlchost wrote:Appears that LibreOffice 3.60 is avialable. Wondering if it can be made available in the repository?

Thanks

Thom
LibreOffice downloader
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65918
Do not be concerned about the beta quality tag.
01micko states he will keep it that way because of future adjustments that may be needed to program.
Latest version of LibreOffice downloader
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 235#643235
YaPI(any iso installer)

tlchost

#579 Post by tlchost »

bigpup wrote: LibreOffice downloader
Thanks anyway...but I have a bootable usb system, so that application is not an option.

Thom

shinobar

#580 Post by shinobar »

bigpup wrote:LibreOffice downloader
tlchost wrote:Thanks anyway...but I have a bootable usb system, so that application is not an option.
The latest version bigpup pointed, get_libreoffice-0.18-3 allows usb installed system.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 235#643235
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]