Moving multisession Wary from DVD to Blu-Ray

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
pixelblip

Moving multisession Wary from DVD to Blu-Ray

#1 Post by pixelblip »

Hi
I've got Wary set up so that it saves to DVD after you logout.
It's really good this feature.....

If I want to move all of that over to a Blue Ray drive and get it to carry on writing is this easy to do? Can someone shed some light on it please?

Thanks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

If you mean to try to run Puppy from a multisession Blu-Ray disk, first, get a reusable Kodak BD-RE disk so you don't waste a lot of money while you're experimenting. They're $4 at Fry's electronics.

Then here's what you do:
  • 1. Boot the multisession DVD from the Blu-Ray burner. After Puppy is running, remove the DVD from the burner and replace it with the Kodak BD-RE disk (or a BD-R disk if you're feeling lucky.)
    2. With Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd, burn onto the BD-RE the same Puppy iso as you burned onto the multisession DVD you're using. This works best if you copy the iso to /tmp and tell Burniso2cd to burn from there.
    3. After burning is done, click the Save icon on Puppy's desktop. This will transfer everything you've saved from your old DVD onto the newly burned BD-RE.
That's it. Boot the newly burned BD-RE and what you get should be identical to what you get when you boot the multisession DVD. If you have trouble, I have to refer you to Ted Dog's posts in the forum. He's been working on running Puppy from a multisession Blu-Ray disk.

gcmartin

Approach which may move Puppy from 1 Live media to another

#3 Post by gcmartin »

@Flash offers an approach which should work.

I don't have a Blu-RAY. But, I have had some success in the past with moving from a DVD-R to a DVD-RW and also from a CD to a DVD. It is a 2-step process.

This was done for my LIve media systems that I have run with. So, I can suggest how I accomplished this and hope that it addresses your desire, as well.

Note: This procedure does NOT require that you boot from your LIve media...simply, use any Puppy distro.

Procedure
  1. "dd" your Live media (CD/DVD/BLU-RAY) to an ISO
  2. Use PBurn to burn your ISO in multi-session mode to your Blu-RAY.
Hope this helps

P.S. There is another method but, it would involve using DVD folder-file copying and ISOMaster to recreate the current Live media you have.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Gcmartin, using dd to make an iso from a CD or DVD can cause a problem if the CD or DVD is a rewritable one that was simply overwritten by Burniso2cd to make a live Puppy. Unless the CD-RW or DVD-RW was completely blanked before making it into a live Puppy, dd will copy everything from it, including the stuff it contained that Burniso2cd didn't overwrite with the live Puppy. The iso created with dd will probably still work correctly, but it may be huge. I know this because I did a similar thing once. :lol:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

I just followed my own advice above to move my multisession Racy Puppy from DVD to Blu-Ray disk. The difference in boot time is amazing. I didn't time it, but the exact same Puppy boots much faster from Blu-Ray than it did from DVD. I'd say a half to perhaps a fourth of the time. :shock:

I did try running Puppy from a multisession Blu-Ray disk when I first got a Blu-Ray burner. I don't remember it being this much faster. :D

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

The version of Wary prior to 5.3.3 does work with blu-ray but any single file over 4G will not display correct unless Blu-ray is force mounted as UDF. I'll post a burn script for a hybrid blu-ray bootable.
The only thing stopping full puppylinux blu ray support is boot script, mount utils and saving. All doable. But I haven't rerolled a init script in a while.

gcmartin

Puppy and UDF

#7 Post by gcmartin »

I know this thread is about moving multi-session Puppy from one CD/DVD/BluRay media to another, but, on the issues of Puppy and UDF...see this thread

Here to help

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

Hi, all.

Would these transfer procedures also work if the target disk is a double-capacity DVD ?

Thanks in advance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

I think so, though I've never burned a dual-layer DVD. I believe the drive reads the disk and reports its capacity and type, but, during burning, the actual changeover from one layer to the other is done entirely by the drive, transparent to the burning program. I could be wrong, but if I am I don't see what you could do about it. Keep us posted. :)