Wireless USB adapters that work with Puppy Linux?

rmcellig

Wireless USB adapters that work with Puppy Linux?

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I would like to know which USB adapters work with Puppy Linux 5.2.8 hopefully out of the box. I would love to hear from Puppy uses that actually use a USB adapter to connect wirelessly and that works hopefully out of the box.

ozsouth

Netgear WG111 variants

#2 Post by ozsouth »

Netgear WG111 variants use the P54usb driver (in 528). I have this device - bit dated though.

kattman

#3 Post by kattman »

For range and speed this one is great http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833381004

rjbrewer

#4 Post by rjbrewer »

The chipset and driver are the primary consideration, not
manufacturer.

Try to avoid latest (wireless N) which may not have Linux
native drivers for them yet.

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Eldon

#5 Post by Eldon »

Well, you'll still have to configure it anyway.

The ones that don't work, you can usually make work with the windows driver through ndiswrapper,

I'm using slacko 5.3.1 and a netgear adapter wpn111 a/b/g that I got cheap on ebay almost a year ago.

But it only works if you use the windows driver because puppy doesn't have one for that wpn111 atheros chip.

I think that as long as you can do that, it doesn't (necessarily) matter if it's b/g/ or N wifif as the above poster said.

But if you want something for which the drivers are in 5.2.8 you can maybe find out by looking up the chipsets and models of the ones you might buy, then load puppy and go to the network config to manually load a driver, and see if there's a driver that's likely to support what you want to buy.

In my case there's an atheros usb wifi driver, but for a different chipset, and mine's not supported...but I'm still using it right now.