Microsoft, Puppy and the UDF Format

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
rjbrewer

#21 Post by rjbrewer »

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Smithy

#22 Post by Smithy »

zigbert wrote:
Smithy wrote:If I can achieve the same thing with Pburn in a multisession way, that would do!
The only reason for using UDF (as I see it) is if your files are more than 4Gb. Else, a multisession with ISO9660 combined with an extended filesystem (Rockridge and/or Joliet) would be just perfect.

The above answer is only true if you mean audio-files written to a data-CD/DVD. If you on the other side actually mean an audio CD, you wouldn't use UDF, so ISO9660 would obviously also fail (Pburn supports burning Audio-CD). Audio-DVD is a completely different story. It is a set standard, but never active used. If this is what you are talking about, we have to dig deeper to learn more about the Audio-DVD specs.

Sigmund
Hi Zigbert, yes I am just burning data, wavs, .pod files (music application file) so I will try out multisession. If I was burning 4gb+ I would just burn a closed DVD.

Giving up on reading my old discs now as after trying various codes on this thread, the Veritas/Sonic udf/packet writing formatted discs could not be read.

Cheers to everyone for help on this issue !

Master_wrong

#23 Post by Master_wrong »

@Karl
Code:
mkdir /mnt/DVD
mount-FULL -s -o nostrict /dev/sr0 /mnt/DVD
i tested this to read udf disc burned by nero linux and it work.

shouldnt this be implemented in puppy ?

Thanks
Cluster-Pup v.2-Puppy Beowulf Cluster
[url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=499199#499199[/url]

Ted Dog

Blueray boot

#24 Post by Ted Dog »

Just got a blu ray burner and a 50 pkg. PuppyLinux has some unpolished support. But no coasters yet. Pburn throws an error but disks are readible in mythbunu, but not puppy 5.3.3

Working on it and will have something in a few weeks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#25 Post by Flash »

Hey Ted! Long time no hear from you. :D

Late last year I got a LG Blu-Ray burner and several Kodak BU-RE disks to learn on. I found that Pburn generally has no trouble burning to Blu-Ray disks, including rewritable ones, though there was some odd thing I can't remember. I may have mentioned it in the Pburn thread.

Ted Dog

#26 Post by Ted Dog »

add -UDF and remove Joilet switches works for my blu-ray bootable puppies.
I made a little script/system. First open a downloaded puppy-version iso. click and copy everything inside the iso into a isotemp folder copy or move (what I did, its faster on the same drive) large file stuffs up to 24.02 G as shown by right clicking on isotemp folder and properties. Then run the burn script, 35mins later repeat, until all files are backed up. Hope to finish backing up my 'storage' 1.5T HD to blu-ray bootable data discs before :shock: Monday. Need to add a 'beep' or 'bark' to the script, this blu-ray burner is so quiet I can't tell if its finished burning.

Karl Godt

#27 Post by Karl Godt »

Master_wrong wrote:@Karl
Code:
mkdir /mnt/DVD

Thanks
Really dont know for the moment ..

Have a quriky burner atm that only cp 1GB from a disk- no more, but burned PUPPY 130 MB OK ...

Many of my old UDF would not mount with it, will have to test to mount them with a reader-only .. have to rearrange the cables .. might be a kernel issue .. will have to test on vista .. at least i was not able to mkudffs on it .

But nice to hear that it worked for you . Bookmarked this page .. cos i cannot remember the syntax exactly some days later ..

musher0

#28 Post by musher0 »

Sorry to put the bushel in front of the light, but I'd like to ask what may be an essential question...

What is the utility of the UDF format nowadays ?

And its corollary:

What is the utility of having UDF in Puppy? (Besides reading data from UDF CD's burnt in Windows or other distros, of course.)

Thanks in advance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

gcmartin

I recently ran into some issues with UDF media

#29 Post by gcmartin »

I recently received a couple of sticks of files that Windows users have burned onto Live media (DVD). No PUPPY that I have would read them.

At first, I had assume that I had made some mistakes. So, that what led me to try differing distros. I tried
  • LightHouse64 - My 64bit production system
    FatSlacko - My 32bit production system
    RACY, Puppy, FatDOG601, etc.
For those who are unaware of this problem, this may help you:
Scenario
Windows user uses their system to copy a file (say an ISO, for instance) to a new DVD media. It is given to you. You wait for your PUP to register its icon and you click on it when it arrives onto your desktop.

(What was so embarrassing about this is that they were staring over my shoulder as I was "flailing" around the desktop trying to read this in front of these seasoned Windows users. Sheer embarrassment!)

The only system(s) that I have which had no problem with the media is Windows and my MAC.

I, too, thought this odd and am hoping that the recent distros in alpha-beta-RC testing acknowledge this thread and add this into the system, OOTB....please. As minor as this may seem, addressing this should help the broad spectrum on our community.

Thanks for understanding the need of something which is expected to be so simple...reading media without thinking about its formats/protocols.

Here to help.
Edited to add picture of the desktop error resulting when DVD clicked
Attachments
fromLH64.png
UDF error from just one of the Puppy distros
(14.53 KiB) Downloaded 876 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 18:32, edited 2 times in total.

Makoto

#30 Post by Makoto »

musher0 wrote:Sorry to put the bushel in front of the light, but I'd like to ask what may be an essential question...

What is the utility of the UDF format nowadays ?

And its corollary:

What is the utility of having UDF in Puppy? (Besides reading data from UDF CD's burnt in Windows or other distros, of course.)

Thanks in advance.
I believe all DVD-Video and Blu-Ray video discs are written using different versions of UDF. Not sure about commercially-released/retail data DVDs/BDs - I haven't checked, but they're probably also written using a UDF format (like ISO+UDF).

I think most burning programs also default to a hybrid UDF mode when burning data DVDs.

Overall, I'd say that if you plan to work with DVDs or BDs from some outside source, you'll probably have to deal with UDF-format discs at some point.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

tazoc

Is there a way to detect a UDF disc?

#31 Post by tazoc »

Code:
mkdir /mnt/DVD

Thanks
Thank you Karl, that works in Lighthouse64 for a Windows 7 install disc I have. (udf kernel module was already loaded.)

Unfortunately blkid and probepart just tells me its media type is 'iso-9660', so I don't know how to automate that in pmount. Is there a way to detect a UDF disc device from the command line, prior to mounting the disc?

-TaZoC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

pemasu

#32 Post by pemasu »

Not sure if this is of any help, but disktype tells me something:
# disktype /dev/sr0

--- /dev/sr0
Block device, size 6.628 GiB (7116390400 bytes)
CD-ROM, 1 track, CDDB disk ID 023BFD01
Track 1: Data track, 2.197 GiB (2358986752 bytes)
UDF file system
Sector size 2048 bytes
Volume name "ICE_AGE"
UDF version 1.02
ISO9660 file system
Volume name "ICE_AGE"
Publisher "FOX"
Preparer "CVC"
Data size 6.628 GiB (7116390400 bytes, 3474800 blocks of 2 KiB)

musher0

#33 Post by musher0 »

@Makoto : Thanks for your answer.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Karl Godt

Re: Is there a way to detect a UDF disc?

#34 Post by Karl Godt »

tazoc wrote:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/DVD

Thanks
Thank you Karl, that works in Lighthouse64 for a Windows 7 install disc I have. (udf kernel module was already loaded.)

Unfortunately blkid and probepart just tells me its media type is 'iso-9660', so I don't know how to automate that in pmount. Is there a way to detect a UDF disc device from the command line, prior to mounting the disc?

-TaZoC
Oh god . disktype is heavy . But for comparison Windows Vista also fires the DVD drive up at DirectX/xwin $Windowmanger/boot .. and seems to automount. Have no idea about the commandline for windows though(used a "black 98" once and can remember windows fdisk command).

But my blkid s on Macpup_F3(430/2ttuuxxxdevx) can find it :

1:
bash-3.00#

Code: Select all

file `which blkid`
/bin/blkid: symbolic link to `busybox'
BusyBox v1.19.4 (2012-04-19 16:14:01 GMT+1) multi-call binary.
Copyright (C) 1998-2011 Erik Andersen, Rob Landley, Denys Vlasenko
and others. Licensed under GPLv2.
See source distribution for full notice.
:
/dev/sr0: LABEL="SUSE9-2-V0-WINBM" TYPE="udf"
2:

/sbin/blkid -c /dev/null /dev/sr0
:
/dev/sr0: LABEL="SUSE9_2_V0_WINBM" TYPE="udf"

/sbin/blkid -v
:
blkid 1.0.0 (12-Feb-2003)
3:

/usr/local/sbin/blkid -c /dev/null /dev/sr0
:
/dev/sr0: LABEL="SUSE9-2-V0-WINBM" TYPE="udf"

/usr/local/sbin/blkid -v
:
blkid from util-linux-ng 2.16.2 (libblkid 2.16.0, 10-Feb-2009)

Tazoc, my guess is that there a newer defaults in util-linux/busybox. Busybox also has a hund reds of configuration options. The */local/* is configured i think simply "./configure" . UTF-8 seems to confuse things around too. I am starting to compile things "--with-system-gettext" or whatever that configuration option precisely is named since that helps with gtk-2.0 special non-english-chars. Maybe is important to all that poping ntfs malaisse around. Or Win7/8's newer udf -version is not recognized (by the kernel driver).

Further
/sbin/probepart is a script by BK that i have altered in different ways on my full installations to guess udf. Here the Macpup_Foxy3 version :
Attachments
probepart.bz2
should go to /sbin
crappy but that shows that i did not made it in 5 minutes.
(2.97 KiB) Downloaded 623 times

tazoc

blkid -p

#35 Post by tazoc »

Thank you Pemasu and Karl. :D

I think I'm using a blkid from Slackware64 and I found that 'blkid -p' works here.

bash-4.1# blkid -v
blkid from util-linux 2.19 (libblkid 2.19.0, 10-Feb-2011)
bash-4.1# blkid /dev/sr1
/dev/sr1: LABEL="GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD" TYPE="iso9660" 
bash-4.1# blkid -p /dev/sr1
/dev/sr1: LABEL="UDF Volume" TYPE="udf" USAGE="filesystem"
bash-4.1# blkid --help 2>&1|grep 'superblocks'
  -p          low-level superblocks probing (bypass cache)
-TaZoC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Karl Godt

#36 Post by Karl Godt »

Mine manpage of blkid does not have the -p option ,
E2fsprogs version 1.41.3 October 2008 BLKID(8)
but i can confirm that the -p option works for blkid from util-linux-ng 2.16.2 .

For removable devices a fixed /etc/blkid.tab is nonsense imo .

gcmartin

UDF is only understood if you read this thread

#37 Post by gcmartin »

One of us wrote:Thanks to Master_wrong, this works in L64 for a Windows 7 install disc I have.

mount-FULL -s -o nostrict /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd
Paste this into a terminal: (If your disc is in the second drive use /dev/sr1 instead of /dev/sr0.)

Unfortunately blkid and probepart just tells me its media type is 'iso-9660', so I don't know how to automate that in pmount or Drives Manager.
I used this approach and got favorable results on my LiH64 system

bash-4.1# mkdir /media/dvd
<root> ~
bash-4.1# mount-FULL -s -o nostrict /dev/sr0 /media/dvd
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
<root> ~
bash-4.1#
And I now have it mounted so that ROX/PBurn and other subsystems can make use of the DVD's data.

Now for the obvious question
I am sure we are asking ourselves, shouldn't Puppy be using that mount command instead of the one we are using. Is this just one more of those steps Puppy takes as it matures? Can the Puppy system alias this or something so that it not left to the user to just give up?

Understanding this, i thought it to be helpful to try the mount-FULL command on a Puppy ISO disk as well.

bash-4.1# mount-FULL
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw,relatime)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /initrd/pup_rw type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=3482168k)
tmpfs on /initrd/pup_ro1 type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1364328k)
tmpfs on /initrd/mnt/tmpfs type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=364932k)
/dev/loop0 on /initrd/pup_ro2 type squashfs (ro,noatime)
	o
	o
	o
	o
bash-4.1# mount-FULL   -o username=root //192.168.1.42/HDD_a /mnt/NAS2
<root> ~
Thus, I am able to view my mounts (all USBs/HDDs/all DVD UDF media) and, as well, mount a remote LAN resource.

Question 2
How does a community find, like this, get rolled into the base distro build system such that its replaces the old mount command with the modern version which doesn't carry the limitations?

A community request
Could others also test the use of the mount-Full command to insure that compatibilities are not overlooked and shortcomings are missed?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. None of what has been found or shared here is major. But all of it does help in the maturity of Puppy. Its only a show-stopper when someone who isn't expecting a problem hits this.

Anyone know how to make BarryK aware of this need for switching the mount command (certainly would be nice to make him aware of our findings)?

Here to help
Edit: spelling and context corrections
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

Smithy

#38 Post by Smithy »

Gave the code a try with a UDF disc (single layer) and a second one.
No Joy. But glad something's working for someone!
These discs can be read and written to in windows, but not on Puppy.

sh-4.1# mount-FULL -s -o nostrict /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
       missing codepage or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

gcmartin

#39 Post by gcmartin »

Smithy wrote:Gave the code a try with a UDF disc (single layer) and a second one.
No Joy. But glad something's working for someone!
These discs can be read and written to in windows, but not on Puppy.

sh-4.1# mount-FULL -s -o nostrict /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
       missing codepage or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
Hi @Smithy,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can open /mnt/dvd in ROX and see all the files. I got the same message you got and I was able see the UDF files in ROX.

I'm not sure about the read-only portion and have appealed to others for understanding and expansion to what we can do should the media have been created multi-session.

But, I think you can "read" your files on the UDF media now.

Smithy

#40 Post by Smithy »

Hi gcmartin, I just tried, I navigated through mount/sr0 (the dvd drive) and it is empty. Tried also dvd folder, that is empty.
I am using 3HD derivative, don't know if the kernel might make a difference.

EDIT..omg..slap me round the head with a catfish, just stuck a dual layer in there, clicked on dvd in rox, and like you said, all the files are there!

And it mounted like lightning, usually have to sit there for a good minute while windows chuntles away loading a dual layer up.

Just tried a few others that are in an "open" state, i.e nearly full but have a coupla gigs left for writing to, and they show up as blank, so possibly closed discs are able to be read in puppy.

Anyways, very good news!