PPracer/Tuxracer [SOLVED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
steve_s

PPracer/Tuxracer [SOLVED]

#1 Post by steve_s »

I just wanna get this to run on this card.

What Puppy am I using? Whichever one will work with this card and run this game.

My youngest is saying, "Remember tux racer?""When can we get that one again?""Is that running yet dad?""Did you get that on my computer yet dad?" and so on.

What puplet do you advise? i got a few frugal installs on this one, so yet another one ain't gonna matter as long as I can get this game running! :wink:

or I can put in a new one and compile or whatever, just tell me what you recommend, anyone!
Last edited by steve_s on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Re: PPracer/Tuxracer

#2 Post by Billtoo »

steve_s wrote:I just wanna get this to run on this card.

What Puppy am I using? Whichever one will work with this card and run this game.

My youngest is saying, "Remember tux racer?""When can we get that one again?""Is that running yet dad?""Did you get that on my computer yet dad?" and so on.

What puplet do you advise? i got a few frugal installs on this one, so yet another one ain't gonna matter as long as I can get this game running! :wink:

or I can put in a new one and compile or whatever, just tell me what you recommend, anyone!
I found this version of tuxracer in precise puppy beta 2 5260, it works fine with my nvidia card, don't know about your ati card though.
There are plenty of other games in the precise repos though if this won't work for you.
You need to add all the precise repos in ppm and update them, then exit and restart ppm.
Attachments
preciseppm.jpg
(51.23 KiB) Downloaded 1466 times

steve_s

#3 Post by steve_s »

Billtoo wrote:...it works fine with my nvidia card, don't know about your ati card though.
thank you, Billtoo! I greatly appreciate the response.

But, in this case, its all about that card. ATI bites for Opengl support overall, it seems. And, in this case, its just that game my kid is looking for; he's got wesnoth and others he likes covered and the whole Xbox thing, etc.

But it's just that game. :?

It doesn't seem hard to get that game for whatever version of puppy I'm lookin for, certainly not as hard as gettin' that card going.

I was just leaving the door open to posters so that they might suggest any version of puplet they like for that card and/or game or any other possible combinations of the two that I hadn't thought of/knew about.

Billtoo

#4 Post by Billtoo »

steve_s wrote:

But, in this case, its all about that card. ATI bites for Opengl support overall, it seems. And, in this case, its just that game my kid is looking for; he's got wesnoth and others he likes covered and the whole Xbox thing, etc.

It doesn't seem hard to get that game for whatever version of puppy I'm lookin for, certainly not as hard as gettin' that card going.

I was just leaving the door open to posters so that they might suggest any version of puplet they like for that card and/or game or any other possible combinations of the two that I hadn't thought of/knew about.
I have an ATI radeon x1600 PCI express card (in a box on the shelf), it used to work well with lupu when xorghigh was installed, most likely will work well with 3 headed dog but I don't think I ever ran it with that.

steve_s

#5 Post by steve_s »

Billtoo wrote:
steve_s wrote:

I have an ATI radeon x1600 PCI express card (in a box on the shelf), it used to work well with lupu when xorghigh was installed, most likely will work well with 3 headed dog but I don't think I ever ran it with that.
Good! That's what I'm looking for...ok, got a 4.0 I'm gonna try to get it to go today. After that fails ;-) I'm going to give it a try on lupu 520. Will post back.

steve_s

#6 Post by steve_s »

It looks like we've made some progress.

I put a Lupu520 frugal on there with devx. I installed the ATI driver for the x1650 card, and i think its installed (how do I check?).

The reason I think it installed is that I re-ran xorgwizard, selected 'Choose' ('Probe' borks the X settup as it must be picking something wrong) and scroll to ATI Radeon, select 1280x1024x24 and it sets up great (x16 borks).

Again, how can i check to see if that's running?

I then tried to run 'exremetuxracer' but it said in terminal:

Code: Select all

can't execute binary
which is a message I've never seen before.

So, at the very least, I'm looking for another version of Tuxracer.

On the plus side, this version of Puppy had a newer version of Wesnoth available and the youngest is lovin' that. :wink:

steve_s

#7 Post by steve_s »

You need to add all the precise repos in ppm and update them, then exit and restart ppm.
Just FYI, running without internet on that PC, so i've gotta download what I need on another internet device, then transfer it...yeah, would be much easier running it via the package manager.

steve_s

#8 Post by steve_s »

Still no luck.

Anyone have a version of Tuxracer/ppracer that has worked with this?

I tried a couple of versions, no dice.

I even tried compiling from scratch but it gave an error code after I tried to run it. It looked like the version of tcl that I have may not be set up right or I didn't use the correct settings or something. Gonna look for a different one in the forums today...

darkcity

#9 Post by darkcity »

which version numbers have you tried + what errors when compiling/running?

steve_s

#10 Post by steve_s »

darkcity wrote:which version numbers have you tried + what errors when compiling/running?
exremetuxracer-0.4.pet
Ppracer-0.5cvs.pet
ppracer-0.3.1.pet

I'll install a different tcl/tk tonight and try and compile again and post back the results.

steve_s

#11 Post by steve_s »

I went a different route and put Lighthouse puppy on there, 5.03.
Also put the sfs's mariner and voyager from the same on there.
Worked like a charm, found the ati driver (didn't run auto config in xorgwizard but instead selected ati then radeon from a list) and set it up easily, already had tux racer and variety of other games.
Call this one solved.