lucent winmodem/juno

Using applications, configuring, problems
darkerror05

lucent winmodem/juno

#1 Post by darkerror05 »

im tring to connect to my juno isp with a lucent winmodem in my laptop. Juno is a ppp with chap athentication so that should bo ok to connect with gtdial i think. I downloaded the ltmodem driver pupget and installed it as an alien package(i could seem to get it to install as a local pupget). I rebooted. I started the modem wizard, hit ttyLT0, and i get a message; failed to load module, then i click ok, the i get the message fail, /dev/ttyLT0 does not have an irq assined, blah blah, however for linmodems the test may fail but the modem may still work. The i clicked save. The i set up the gkdial and it wont connect any ideas?
-darkerror

Billcnz

#2 Post by Billcnz »

If the module fails to load it may be you downloaded the wrong version for your version of Puppy, the current one works with Puppy 2.02 but make sure you got the one for the 2.6 kernel. Use the Pupget manager to install, there's an icon for installing a binary package.

In a console type: modprobe ltserial
(or if you reboot it should do it automatically)
To check it's loaded type: lsmod
In the list of modules you should see ltserial and ltmodem.

Bill

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Are you using puppy 2.02?

darkerror05

#4 Post by darkerror05 »

oh i forget to say im useing 1.09. it should be the right driver i used the one with 2.4.29 in the name.
-darkerror

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

the mystery of ltmodems deepens! i tried getting mine to work with 1.09, gave up & went back to 1.08. when 2.01 came out, i could get it to see the modem, but connection was at a crawl, so back to 1.08.

with 2.02, i tried several times with no success, then for unknown reason, today it sees it, and works fine. so all i can say is try a few times, and maybe recite an incantation to the ltmodem gods!

darkerror05

#6 Post by darkerror05 »

muggins: could you mabey give me directions on how you got it to work in 1.08 please. There shouldnt't be to much of a difference bettween 1.08 and 1.09 . Thanks.
-darkerror

muggins

#7 Post by muggins »

darkerror,

all i did was download the ltmodem module from ibiblio to usbkey,(in internet cafe), Start->Setup->Packagemanager->Install/Remove Pkgs,
select required package, select "Local", then point to my usbkey & worked. Same process also worked for pup1.09, however when i try modem wizard & click ttyLT0, under 1.09, it can't find the IRQ, whereas with 1.08 it can.

good luck,
muggins

darkerror05

#8 Post by darkerror05 »

i just realised that during boot that it give the error : cannot locate module LT_serial. I dont know if this helps.
-darkerror

Billcnz

#9 Post by Billcnz »

The LT_serial it's reffering to will be the lucent driver but maybe the format is slightly different in the 2.4 kernel version because in the Puppy 2 version it's all lower case and doesn't have the underscore. Have a look under /lib/module/kernel version/ for the ltmodem folder. There should be two modules in this folder, with the 2.6 kernel it's ltserial.ko and ltmodem.ko, as I said the format may be different in the earlier kernel but you should still have the two parts. If I type modprobe ltserial in a console it loads both of the modules into memory, then if I type lsmod it will list the loaded modules and I can see ltmodem and ltserial are there:

sh-3.1# modprobe ltserial
sh-3.1# lsmod
Module Size Used by
ltserial 10672 0
ltmodem 556784 1 ltserial
usb_storage 84800 0
snd_mixer_oss 18512 0
snd_seq_midi 8576 0

So check if the modules are there and in the same format as what is trying to be loaded at boot. Also running the command: "depmod -a" may help it find the modules, then try to load them with modprobe as above and see what you get.

Bill

darkerror05

#10 Post by darkerror05 »

ya i checked earlier and the modules are there. I tried depmod and i get : depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.29/sound/oss/viaudiocombo.o.gz . Then i tried modprobe and it loaded the modules with warnings that it will tant the kernel. But it loaded the modules and the modem wizard works. Now how to i make sure the kernel startes at boot?
-darkerror

muggins

#11 Post by muggins »

you can try putting modprobe ltserial in /.etc/rc.d/rc.local

darkerror05

#12 Post by darkerror05 »

is there a way to make a file that i can click on the desktop to start the module?
-darkerror

Billcnz

#13 Post by Billcnz »

I believe the taint kernel message is normal for this driver due to it being half proprietary and half open source, maybe the depmod fixed it, have you tried a reboot since? If not you could add the modprobe line to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local but someone else may want to comment here as I'm not running Puppy 1.09 only the version 2 series.

Bill

EZ4arabs

#14 Post by EZ4arabs »

muggins wrote:the mystery of ltmodems deepens! i tried getting mine to work with 1.09, gave up & went back to 1.08. when 2.01 came out, i could get it to see the modem, but connection was at a crawl, so back to 1.08.
Can you please provide a working link for 1.08

Thanks

MU

#15 Post by MU »

EZ4arabs

#16 Post by EZ4arabs »

Thank you muggins for pointing that out and thank you MU for the link.
As you said muggins "the mystery of ltmodems deepens!",it worked and not only that but the sound too which didn't work on 1.0.9CE and the max. resolution i could get with 1.0.9 was 800x600 but with 1.0.8 i can choose more than that.

Thank guys,you guys are the best.

wish i had saved the scanModem results when i run it on 1.0.9 to compare with 1.0.8 results maybe it will shed some light on why it works on 1.0.8 but not later editions?!
good luck to the rest who still looking for ways to use their soft modems on Linux.

muggins

#17 Post by muggins »

ez4arabs,

as i mentioned above, i didn't have much success with pup2.01 but, after several attempts, pup2.02 managed to get ltmodem up & running. so if you want to experiment maye just try & see if the pup202 can load the module for you.