Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 17:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
peebee

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2012, 18:03    Post subject: Re: Module blacklisting problem  

01micko wrote:
I wonder if it's really loaded? I did have a similar issue with nouveau being reported as loaded but I knew it wasn't (with lsmod). The nvidia driver still installed fine, if nouveau is loaded it can't install.

Can you please zip (or gzip) your /etc/rc.d/MOSULESCONFIG file to make sure it made the skip list, or just post the 'skiplist' variable.

Cheers

Hi Mick

I wanted to blacklist b43 and did so in the boot manager - but it will not go away! It is loaded and in use despite being blacklisted - see netwiz screenie attached after blacklisting and rebooting.

MODULESCONFIG is attached - skiplist has b43 appended so it should not be loaded....

Thanks
peebee
MODULESCONFIG.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  MODULESCONFIG.gz 
Filesize  2.64 KB 
Downloaded  374 Time(s) 
capture7965.png
 Description   
 Filesize   26 KB
 Viewed   3692 Time(s)

capture7965.png

rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2012, 19:49    Post subject: Fix for blacklist and preference issues?  

01micko,
I found the reason for the blacklisting not working. Script /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe, line 103, needs the "-b" option, to use the blacklist. Here is what I ended up with:
Code:
MODULE="`/sbin/modprobe -i -b --show-depends $MODALIAS 2>/dev/null | tail -n 1 | rev | cut -f 1 -d '/' | rev | cut -f 1 -d '.' | tr '\-' '_'`" #120809
I will add that to my collection of fixes for woof.

Looking further, I think the same addition should be made to the other 2 similar statments, line 117 and 153, to restore the preference operation. This may explain peebee's problem with module wl, which is related to the preference, ssb:wl.

My interpretation of all this is that until now the -b option was the default, and that now it is required. Otherwise, why have it?

To keep things simple, I attach the corrected module loader, including other woof fixes for firmware loading and modules loaded specifically by udev rules. Please test with it. Thank you.
Richard
rerwin_woof_fixes-delta-3a.pet
Description  Corrected pup_event_backend_modprobe.
Fixes blacklisting and preferences.
pet

Download 
Filename  rerwin_woof_fixes-delta-3a.pet 
Filesize  4.04 KB 
Downloaded  379 Time(s) 

Last edited by rerwin on Thu 09 Aug 2012, 23:15; edited 3 times in total
grump

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2012, 20:09    Post subject:  

I've had a play on my old Toshiba A200 laptop - running from a live CD

pfix=ram gets me to a black screen - maybe a failed x
pfix=ram, nox gets me to the prompt ok, but I can't remember how to start the command line x config wizard
Then made a copy of my slacko save and just let the puppy have it's way (ie update the save file etc - I got a desktop but no mouse control - neither the touchpad nor usb mouse. Maybe no keyboard controls either?

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012, 00:50    Post subject: Re: Fix for blacklist and preference issues?  

rerwin wrote:
My interpretation of all this is that until now the -b option was the default, and that now it is required. Otherwise, why have it?

To keep things simple, I attach the corrected module loader, including other woof fixes for firmware loading and modules loaded specifically by udev rules. Please test with it. Thank you.
Richard

Thanks Richard.

I'm sure this is to do with the new "kmod" implementation which replaces "modules-init-tools", mentioned in the first post under the "developer" heading. There were sure to be some bugs turn up with that and I'm glad you found the cause. I'll put your fixes in the next version.

-

grump.. don't worry too much about this alpha, it was to mainly to put it in the wild and see what bugs were flushed out. Fortunately, many have been and should be squashed for the next alpha.

For general users it might be better to wait for either the next version or beta, which will be some weeks yet. Realistically, I can't go beta until Slackware goes final as they will likely be applying patches at least until RC.

Cheers

Sage

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012, 06:33    Post subject: Realistically, I can't go beta until Slackware goes final as
Subject description: DW today!

Quote:
NEW • Development Release: Slackware Linux 14.0 RC1
Slackware Linux In the most recent changelog entry, Patrick Volkerding declares the Slackware "Current" tree, the distribution's development branch, release-candidate quality: "Good hello and happy Thursday! Mercury went direct early yesterday morning and it was like the bugs started to fix themselves. It's almost enough to get me believing in that hocus-pocus nonsense. So, here's a bunch of updates that fix all of the reported issues in the beta and we'll call this the 14.0 release candidate 1.
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012, 07:33    Post subject: Re: Fix for blacklist and preference issues?  

01micko wrote:
rerwin wrote:
Please test with it. Thank you.
Richard

Thanks Richard.
I'm sure this is to do with the new "kmod" implementation which replaces "modules-init-tools", mentioned in the first post under the "developer" heading. There were sure to be some bugs turn up with that and I'm glad you found the cause. I'll put your fixes in the next version.
Cheers

Richard's fix pet works for me - thanks Richard
Cheers
Peter

Jim1911

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:47    Post subject: USB Logitech Receiver not recognized  

USB Logitech Receiver not recognized, however unplugging it and replugging it allowed it to be recognized.

Although after using "Desktop Templates for desk icons" and shutting down, another problem occurred. Upon reboot there were no icons, mouse did not work, but did work after unplugging and replugging the receiver. Selecting "Desktop Templates for desk icons" gave an error message that the pinboard is not working.

After another reboot, USB Logitech Receiver is not recognized even after unplugging and replugging.

Cheers,
Jim
image-4.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   14.94 KB
 Viewed   1747 Time(s)

image-4.jpg

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2012, 07:08    Post subject:  

Jim, I don't know why your logitech wireless setup isn't loading but I suspect it's something to do with rerwin's fix. Can you install rerwin's pet and reboot please?
I'll have to fix the desktemplates since I have removed slickpet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not so good news with Intel. I can't get it to work at this stage. I have recompiled several kernels, with/without modesetting, no difference. It does seem that whether modesetting is enabled or not in the kernel is not the issue, but it must be turned off at the command line level (done with the i915.conf rule) for the majority of hardware, radeon included. The string you add to the kernel line is:

i915.modeset=0 (tested and it boots direct to vesa on my eee pc, and brookdale)

Radeons it is already off. Nvidia should not matter.

The current kernel has not got the modesetting kernel modules for X anyway. It seems they are needed for the newest hardware, Ivy-bridge and Sandy-bridge intels, Evergreen radeons and newer. I have what i thought was a reasonably new radeon but it is low end, kernel modesetting does not work with it. There is also a userspace xorg driver called "modesetting". I may have to eliminate it and people who need modesetting can download it.

Still, all this is a waste of time if I can't get the Intel xorg driver to load!!! I get hold of a 945G (I think) tomorrow so will have a go with that. The 915 in my EEE 701 only boots to 'vesa' and seems can only use vesa. When Intel loads there is a "no screens found" error in the xorg log. Same with my Brookdale, the log from it and the EEE are almost identical.

I'm going to install slackware-current on my eee pc right now to see if I can debug.

You reckon testing is fun? Laughing Try developing! Laughing Laughing

pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2012, 07:12    Post subject:  

01micko. Did you remember that logitech wireless receiver fix in kernel DOTconfig. There was that hid section need for compile that locitech receiver in, not as module. I posted about it in some of your thread, maybe this one. I can dig the needed DOTconfig configuration again.
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2012, 07:44    Post subject:  

Quote:
01micko. Did you remember that logitech wireless receiver fix in kernel DOTconfig. There was that hid section need for compile that locitech receiver in, not as module. I posted about it in some of your thread, maybe this one. I can dig the needed DOTconfig configuration again.

One letter answer ... "Y" Wink. That was the first thing I checked when I saw the report, but I do think it's the bug rerwin fixed.

LateAdopter

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2012, 13:19    Post subject:  

01micko

Quote:
I have what i thought was a reasonably new radeon but it is low end, kernel modesetting does not work with it.

Have you tried your Radeon card with fatdog64 600?

With my RS880G, which is a 3 or 4 year old design, the Xorg R600g driver, in FD64, does DRI2, KMS and 3D acceleration perfectly. The R600g plus Evergreen should work too.

The R600g requires KMS because it no longer has userspace modesetting, I think it happened when Gallium 3D was merged last year.

Kirk and jamesbond seem to have got the kernel sorted.
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2012, 18:38    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Jim, I don't know why your logitech wireless setup isn't loading but I suspect it's something to do with rerwin's fix. Can you install rerwin's pet and reboot please?
I'll have to fix the desktemplates since I have removed slickpet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
upon startup, unplugging and plugging in the logitech receiver did connect the mouse. However, after installing rerwin's pet I see no change. Rebooting after pet installation, unplugging and plugging in the logitech receiver is still necessary to connect the mouse.
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2012, 18:53    Post subject:  

Jim1911 wrote:
upon startup, unplugging and plugging in the logitech receiver did connect the mouse. However, after installing rerwin's pet I see no change. Rebooting after pet installation, unplugging and plugging in the logitech receiver is still necessary to connect the mouse.

Ok, you have the keyboard too right? It depends on the same receiver? I gather that is working so it looks to me like a driver bug in the kernel. The next will have a later kernel for testing, when I solve this intel thing.

Cheers

Jim1911

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2012, 19:03    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:

Ok, you have the keyboard too right? It depends on the same receiver? I gather that is working so it looks to me like a driver bug in the kernel. The next will have a later kernel for testing, when I solve this intel thing.

Cheers
Keyboard is usb, only the mouse is wireless.
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2012, 20:29    Post subject:  

Ok, sorry about that Jim, looks like the next version will ship with k3.5.1 anyway as I have intel booting and running with KMS!

With KMS enabled in the kernel, my eee-701-Sd boots to no X, but this happens all the time on that thing for me even in Lupu. Running xorgwizard and I get a nice desktop with intel xorg driver.
It's a 915GM/GMS/915MS Express Graphics Controller (rev 02)

The other intel which I thought was 945 intel is actually :
Cantiga Graphics Controller (rev 07), using intel driver. (Now called "Ark" ...GM45)

The third victim is my trusty old Brookdale, which has served me really well for years. The graphics chip is known to be flakey on those things, we had to jump through hoops (charlie6, MHHP, cowboy, rerwin) to get the thing going in 530 with k2.6.37.6.
Intel Corporation 82845G/GL [Brookdale - G] Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01) using intel driver. Boots straight to desktop.EDIT: I think the kernel devs have finally got KMS right! Fullscreen flash plays almost perfect on the the Brooky. A first. Formerly played ok in a window but fullscreen was quite choppy.

Interestingly, on all 3, glxgears reports real garbage numbers, around 300 f/5secs (60fps), but I think that is to do with glxgears and not the performance. I'll do some more tests later, but I might ship this one, after a little bit of tidy up. Gets big though with mesa included it's over 150M Shocked .

I'll probably ship with KMS turned off by default for Radeon, you can turn it on later easy enough.

Going by the xorg wiki, all intels except old i810's and i815's are KMS supported in the kernel (since 3.5). For the older ones, hopefully the i915.modeset=0 kernel line string should be ok.

Page 3 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: