Puppy latest MATE desktop, beginning !

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Jejy69

#41 Post by Jejy69 »

Sorry for double post.
Locale ready, in the first post. :)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

darkcity

#42 Post by darkcity »

Jejy69

#43 Post by Jejy69 »

Wow, so cool, thanks Darkcity :D

Jejy69

#44 Post by Jejy69 »

News : Mate 1.4 puppy released.
To see the news, go to the first page ! :D

Jim1911

#45 Post by Jim1911 »

Your Mate desktop is fantastic using the precise base. :D Also the integration with the pup menu appears to be flawless. This is the best gnome implementation that I've seen in puppy.

It's working great with my usual applications.

The only problem that I've noted so far is that my Logitech receiver will not connect to the mouse until it is unplugged and replugged. This is probably a problem with the kernel as I've experience this problem with other pups.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
image-3.jpg
(50.46 KiB) Downloaded 979 times

James C

#46 Post by James C »

Precise-MATE looking good and working well here so far. :)

Jejy69

#47 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !
Your Mate desktop is fantastic using the precise base. Very Happy Also the integration with the pup menu appears to be flawless. This is the best gnome implementation that I've seen in puppy.

It's working great with my usual applications.

The only problem that I've noted so far is that my Logitech receiver will not connect to the mouse until it is unplugged and replugged. This is probably a problem with the kernel as I've experience this problem with other pups.
I feel that I reach my goal :D . I hope your issue'll be fixed in the next release of Precise.
Now, I wait an update for others mate applications like the terminal, and a Precise updated.
Thanks to try all ! :)

Jim1911

#48 Post by Jim1911 »

Jejy69 wrote: I feel that I reach my goal :D . I hope your issue'll be fixed in the next release of Precise.
Now, I wait an update for others mate applications like the terminal, and a Precise updated.
Thanks to try all ! :)
Looking forward to your future releases. Can we expect a MATE_desktop.sfs that may work with other pups such as Slacko or just updated iso as precise is updated?

Cheers, :D
jim

josejp2424

#49 Post by josejp2424 »

muy bueno amigo .

Jejy69

#50 Post by Jejy69 »

A Mate SFS ? Yes sure !
I need more time, there are some libraries... But it's possible.

Eyes-Only

#51 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Jejy!

WOW!! :shock: This latest Mate which you've based upon Precise... I think this is the "way to go" if at all possible - although I do realise how difficult it is to maintain two builds of Mate upon two versions of Puppy. ( Meaning: One Mate desktop per Slackware base and one for Precise. ) However, for those of us who are completely unable to run the Slacko version of Puppy but would still like to have a modern, updated, Puppy with new kernel and latest possible software ( not to mention the long-term service offered by Ubuntu Precise ), and if Debian-based builds run perfectly fine upon our machines, then it only seems logical to keep maintaining such a version for us if at all possible. I just so wished that I could do it for you so as to take the burden from off your shoulders as you are doing so much hard work around here!

And so very many of us appreciate it as well!

At any rate, you've now created this Mate-1.4 desktop upon Ubuntu Precise so that as long as I remain upon this planet at least I'll have a modern and updated Puppy that I can so easily enjoy on my piece-of-junk computer.

Vive Jejy69! ;) Merci mille fois mon chum, et mille fois plus! ( "Long live Jejy69! Thanks a million buddy, and a million times more!" )

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

peebee

#52 Post by peebee »

Hi Jejy

Just wanted to report how well Precise-Mate is working for me - I particularly like how well integrated the networking is integrated into the system. It's a pleasure to be able to open normal windows to both a samba-share and an ftp site and to simply copy items between them. There must be quite a lot of traditional puppy bits that could be deleted as they are now redundant.

I've successfully added:

Broadcom WL driver for my wifi
Frisbee
Chromium browser
Flashplayer
Libreoffice and JRE sfs's
Suspend via the acpi deamon

The only oddities I have to report are:
1. the prescence of 3 "loop" devices showing in the computer view - presumably from sfs's

2. the large number of "system" packages that the Puppy Package Manager is showing....

see the 2 attachments

Hope you will keep going with this "experiment" when new versions of Precise appear.

Cheers & congrats
peebee
Attachments
installedpkgs.results.gz
remove false .gz added to post
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 826 times
loops.png
(63.99 KiB) Downloaded 2298 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jejy69

#53 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

Thanks Eyes-Only, an updated desktop is indeed the main goal of this :D. Now, I try to create the SFS package for it.

Hi Peebee !

I didn't test the network, I'm glad it works, you can thanks the gvfs packages :lol: , it is really useful.
For issues :
I'm sorry, I have forget to clear the PPM, I use some packages to prepare mate desktop for Puppy. I'll clear it in the next release, I hope with Mate 1.5 & the final Precise Puppy. :D

There is indeed a bug at the mounted file. all SFS, saves files are named "loopxx", but I don't know how to rename this locations...
It is not practical at all ... "loop" are not exactly devices in fact... :?
Hope you will keep going with this "experiment" when new versions of Precise appear.
Yes, I will continue, if you like. Moreover, I prefer mate, compared to others like gnome because fewer issues with administrative applications, and more light.

Again thanks, Cheers ! :)

mrokosz

Mate precise

#54 Post by mrokosz »

Mate desktop looks professional, I like it. I hope You continue Your work and will release the final puppy precise with mate desktop. Is it possible to create similar interface under JWM or replace JWM with Mate. My old computer consumes much more CPU resources and duble the RAM usage. Also icons looks excellent comparable to the puppy JWM versions. I runing Mate on HP mini pro, but I can't use on my old P3 500MHz Sony Vaio with 256MB RAM cause it runs to slow

mdisaster2

#55 Post by mdisaster2 »

Precise Mate is working very well on my Toshiba laptop - Mate is gorgeous and all the hardware works as expected (ok, I didn't test the webcam yet, but it doesn't work out of the box with any linux and even in Windows it's not that great either) 8)

Some things I noticed on my machine:

1) gparted crashes at startup, wit this error message:
/usr/sbin/gpartedbin: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/gpartedbin: undefined symbol: _ZN4Glib11thread_initEP17_GThreadFunctions
2) the first run "woof woof" screen has no icons for the buttons (clicking the placeholders works as expected)

3) Puppy Package Manager starts up without thumbnails and with the repository name where the package description should be. Switching to the Ziggy interface fixes the problem for both the Ziggy and Classical interfaces.

4) the default terminal font is sort of broken (wrong spacing between chars), I switched the profile settings to Ubuntu Mono which works better for me.

5) my laptop has three primary partitions:
/dev/sda1 (400 Mb, hidden Win7 boot partition, no drive letter, no file system)
/dev/sda2 (148 Gb, C: disk, NTFS, windows system disk)
/dev/sda3 (148 Gb, D: disk, NTFS, data disk)

At startup I get only two drive icons on the desktop, ie sda1 and sda3. The C: disk does not show up. However on the Computer view all the three partitions are present and work as expected (if I mount sda2 it shows up). Not a big deal but there is the potential for some happless windows user to nuke the boot partition so I thought I'd better report it...

6) right-click on the clock shows a menu with no text.

(note: I'm running without a save file until I retrieve the micro USB thumbdrive I want to install Mate Puppy on, maybe this is the reason for some of the above issues?)

All in all, congrats for a great job. I'm glad that I stumbled on this thread while looking for something else, and I'm definitely looking forward at the final version :D

Daniumta

#56 Post by Daniumta »

Great job!!

How can i use something like pwidgets using mate?

it seems to work fine in jwm, but don't show anything in mate desktop...

Can u help me?

Sorry about my english...

peebee

#57 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:News : Mate 1.4 puppy released.
To see the news, go to the first page ! :D
Hi Jejy69

Any chance of an updated Precise Mate now that BarryK has released Precise Puppy 5.4??

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81672

PLEASE!

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Payoon

Mate for precise 5.4

#58 Post by Payoon »

Hi Jejy69,
that would also be my question. Any idea about precise 5.4 with lxde?

Currently I use lupu 528.05 with some makeshift older lxde version, but I found your mate puppy quite elegant. So I would be glad to upgrade.

Regards

Payoon

mini-jaguar

#59 Post by mini-jaguar »

There is actually an .sfs for Slacko in the link from the o.p.

I can't get it to run though, is there a secret?

I've already tried the Slacko .iso and I will try the Precise version sometime, but I just want to try this .sfs now.

wimpy

#60 Post by wimpy »

Edit: I deleted this since it was Off Topic. I may start a new topic later.
Last edited by wimpy on Tue 26 Aug 2014, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal