slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tlchost

Re: LibreOffice for Slacko

#581 Post by tlchost »

[quote="shinobar"
The latest version bigpup pointed, get_libreoffice-0.18-3 allows usb installed system. [/quote]

Yep...created the sfs...which doesn't work at all

Thanks anyway

01micko

#582 Post by 01micko »

The reason I disallowed usb in the original version is for 2 reasons.
1) slow media and can cause errors
2) most usb installs are on FAT partitions, symlinks are unsupported with FAT so the build fails.

I'll make an sfs soon.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

kevin bowers

#583 Post by kevin bowers »

What I have done is actually very simple. In fact the only renaming I did was as a precaution. I renamed (rather than deleting) the existing seamonkey directory in /usr/lib (which is the old version) to seemonkeyold in case there was any problem and I needed to restore back (which I didn't - it has worked OK on 2 machines running Slacko 5.3.3 so I have now deleted).

The downloaded tarball unpacks as a single directory named seamonkey (so does not need renaming). This can be done anywhere. After the rename just move the new directory into /usr/lib so it replaces the renamed one. No need to do anything with the files inside it.

I guess you could say all you need to do is download (to /mnt/home or /root), delete (seamonkey folder from /usr/lib), unpack (to /usr/lib).

You will find that features such as automatic and manual updates and the crash reporter are now included. Profile information such as bookmarks and settings are not lost because they are stored elsewhere.
Downloaded from http://download.mozilla.org/?product=se ... lang=en-US, installed as above, worked like a champ. The lady of the house is no longer bothered by the red nag banner!

tlchost

#584 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote:The reason I disallowed usb in the original version is for 2 reasons.
1) slow media and can cause errors
2) most usb installs are on FAT partitions, symlinks are unsupported with FAT so the build fails.
that could explain a lot
I'll make an sfs soon.
Thanks....I would greatly appreciate that.

Thom

Laie

#585 Post by Laie »

I installed Slacko on a SD-card but my computer stops booting with the following prompt:
puppy_slacko_5.3.3.2.sfs not found
Computer: Shuttle barebone XS35V2 (Atom D525 2x1,8 GHz, 4 GB RAM), no HDD
Somwhere in the forum I read about a bug that booting from a USB medium with no HDD built in would not work. Does it affect slacko, too?

01micko

#586 Post by 01micko »

Here you go Thom, and anyone else wanting to use Libreoffice-3.6.0

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/sfs_xz/ ... _en-US.sfs 125 M xz compressed. The xz compression will only work in Slacko (not k2.6.37.6), Racy, Dpup-Exprimo and Precise.

checksum-md5<-- 8d12769d7d71e503133f664979515b45 LibreOffice-3.6.0_en-US.sfs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somwhere in the forum I read about a bug that booting from a USB medium with no HDD built in would not work. Does it affect slacko, too?
No, it doesn't affect Slacko. There could be a number of reasons it is failing including the quality of the SD card. If you search there are work-arounds such as pointing the boot loader directly to the main sfs. You could also try a different filesystem on the SD card. Most use FAT but you may have success with ext2.

Volhout

Seamonkey 211

#587 Post by Volhout »

kevin bowers wrote:
What I have done is actually very simple. In fact the only renaming I did was as a precaution. I renamed (rather than deleting) the existing seamonkey directory in /usr/lib (which is the old version) to seemonkeyold in case there was any problem and I needed to restore back (which I didn't - it has worked OK on 2 machines running Slacko 5.3.3 so I have now deleted).

The downloaded tarball unpacks as a single directory named seamonkey (so does not need renaming). This can be done anywhere. After the rename just move the new directory into /usr/lib so it replaces the renamed one. No need to do anything with the files inside it.

I guess you could say all you need to do is download (to /mnt/home or /root), delete (seamonkey folder from /usr/lib), unpack (to /usr/lib).

You will find that features such as automatic and manual updates and the crash reporter are now included. Profile information such as bookmarks and settings are not lost because they are stored elsewhere.
Downloaded from http://download.mozilla.org/?product=se ... lang=en-US, installed as above, worked like a champ. The lady of the house is no longer bothered by the red nag banner!
Works like a charm. Thanks !!

tlchost

#588 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote:Here you go Thom, and anyone else wanting to use Libreoffice-3.6.0
01micko--thanks .....really appreciate it.

Thom

drblock2

Standalone Seamonkey and Opera

#589 Post by drblock2 »

I use several puppies in parallel so I prefer program directories. I followed directions above to download and extract the seamonkey tarball to a directory in /mnt/home (some other location outside the pupsave file would have done equally well).

Then used rox to drag the seamonkey executable seamonkey to the desktop. The associated icon is in /mnt/home/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/seamonkey.png (assuming, of course, that you have unpacked seamonkey into /mnt/home.

The configuration files are in /root/.mozilla. This directory should also be moved outside the reach of the pupsave file and symlinked back to /root/.mozilla. I have yet to try this, but it should work. This also might be a way of coordinating the settings between Seamonkeys that come as standard operating equipment with many puplets.

Mostly, I use Opera, which can also be installed as a stand-alone application in this way. The configuration files are contained in the
/mnt/home/operaxxx/profile directory so every puplet gets the same information without setting up symbolic links.

The stand-alone program directory also works fine with libreoffice.

So now we have three solutions: pets for individual pupplets, sfs-files for multiple pupplets (with load on the fly option) and program directories for completely self-contained applications. Vive la difference!

Laie

sd card won't boot

#590 Post by Laie »

01micko wrote:... There could be a number of reasons it is failing including the quality of the SD card. If you search there are work-arounds such as pointing the boot loader directly to the main sfs. You could also try a different filesystem on the SD card. Most use FAT but you may have success with ext2.
Thank you for your answer!

The SD card ist new and in good order. It is formatted to ext2.
The sd card contains the files
initrd.gz, ldlinux.sys, puppy_slacko_5.3.3.2.sfs, syslinux.cfg and vmlinuz.
the syslinux.cfg contains one line:

Code: Select all

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash
The last two lines on the screen are:
Loading drives needed to access disk drives.
searching for Puppy files ......puppy_slacko_5.3.3.2.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
#

What have I to add to point the boot loader directly to the main sfs?

01micko

#591 Post by 01micko »

Hello Laie,

Just some info about booting from SD card:

Not all cards are created equal! Price and age don't necessarily mean that it "just works". However there are alternative strategies.

Firstly, I would find out what your machine thinks the device is, for example, it could see it as a normal usb device (this is the case with older machines) in which case it will be /dev/sda, or /dev/sdb or whatever, or it could be seen as /dev/mmcblk0 or similar. Once you find that out you can add the "pdev" argument to the kernel line which should help to find the main sfs.

For example, if it's an "sd*" device, pdev1=sda1 or if it's a mmcblk device pdev1=mmcblk0p1. These both assume that boot files are on the first partition or there is only one partition.

You say you are using ext2, then maybe try FAT. "ext" filesystems use the extlinux bootloader while FAT filesystems use syslinux. There are also tutorials in the "Howto" section using grub4dos as the bootloader.

There is one more thing. The kernel in this release of Slacko does not have a patch that Barry uses called waitusb. Instead, this kernel has usb compiled into the kernel image instead of it being a module. Perhaps your machine needs that patch and if so then you should try Slacko-531. Even though it is older, it is only a minor downgrade from 533.

If all this fails, I suggest you post a new thread in the top section of the forum asking for help. The more eyes that see it, the more possibility that someone has exactly your problem and a solution.

HTH

rcrsn51

Re: sd card won't boot

#592 Post by rcrsn51 »

Laie wrote:

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash
IIRC, one solution was to remove the "pmedia=usbflash" and let Puppy search for the card other ways.

Volhout

several USB flash memories

#593 Post by Volhout »

I had a similar problem with my eeePC, but that only happened once in a while (looked like a timing problem where the SD card wasn't ready in time).
Then there was a suggestion to to direct pmedia to search to sdb1, and it worked.

But ...

In the eeePC the flash card enumerates as a USB device (i.e. sdb1). If I boot up with a USB stick in one of the 3 available USB ports as sdb1, and my sd card becomes sdb2.

So I have to remember that I boot without any other media inserted.

mikeslr

Standalone LibreOffice, Opera, Seamonkey, others

#594 Post by mikeslr »

This is just a follow-up to drblock2's post, but may also solve the problem with running Seamonkey unpacked to /mnt/home on a Fat32 USB-Key. 01micko is correct that symlinks don't work. But thanks to DaveS' original work on opera from mnt/home, I learned that scripts can call an executable wherever it's located. [I think, my mnt/home's been Ext4 for about a year]. After unpacking on /mnt/home, note where your executable is. Then [using rox] open a window at /root/my-applications/bin, right click and select create script. Open the script and add a line to call your executable. To illustrate, the following calls opera from the mnt/home/opera folder; Code:

#!/bin/sh
exec /mnt/home/opera/opera "$@"

Save the changes. You can then drag the script to your desktop, Or create a listing in Menu by (a) adding an icon to /usr/share/pixmaps; (b) opening as text one of the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications, saving it with an appropriate name; (c) reopening that .desktop and changing the executable argument to point to the script in /my-applications/bin; and the icon argument to your icon in /usr/share/pixmaps. [Make a pet with those 3 files to be used in other or future Puppies].

mikesLr

01micko

#595 Post by 01micko »

Clive

Are you aware you can make more trays for JWM at the top or sides of screen?

This app from mavrothal may be of interest to you, it will save your main tray looking like a side show :wink:

zigbert and DaveS have similar tray apps, or you can ignore all that and go it alone :)

Cheers

Clive

#596 Post by Clive »

deleted
Last edited by Clive on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#597 Post by 01micko »

Hi Clive

I see your point with urxvt. The icon showing in the tray is actually the one in the menu.. Menu>Utility>Urxvt terminal emulator. It is defined in /usr/share/applications/urxvtset.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=UrxvtSet setup terminal emulator
Icon=mini-sh.xpm
Comment=UrxvtSet setup terminal emulator
Exec=urxvtset
Type=Application
Categories=X-Desktop
GenericName=UrxvtSet
The icon is mini-sh.xpm, located at /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons. You can of course change that to /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/console48.png, use the full path as that path isn't in the search path for the DOTdesktop files.

kros54

tray

#598 Post by kros54 »

It's a little bit about that, but I think it is very useful
root/.jwmrc-tray

<JWM>
	<Tray  autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" height="32" >

<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
		<TrayButton label="" icon="logo-mini.png">root:3</TrayButton>

<TrayButton popup="Iron" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/www48.png">exec:defaultbrowser</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Geany" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/edit48.png">exec:geany</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="mtPaint" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/mtpaint.png">exec:mtpaint</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="mplayer" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/multimedia48.png">exec:gnome-mplayer</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="pupmenü" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/menu48.png">exec:PupMenu</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Konzol" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/console48.png">exec:urxvt</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Seamonkey" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/Seamonkey2.png">exec:seamonkey</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Show Desktop" icon="mini-desktop.xpm">showdesktop</TrayButton>

<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
		<Pager/>

<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
		<TaskList maxwidth="25"/>

<Dock/>

<!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->

<!--	<Swallow name="blinky">
			blinkydelayed -bg "#DCDAF5"
		</Swallow> -->

<!--	<Swallow name="xtmix-launcher">
			xtmix -launch
		</Swallow> -->

<!--	<Swallow name="asapm">
			asapmshell -u 4
		</Swallow> -->

<!--	<Swallow name="freememapplet" width="34">
			freememappletshell
		</Swallow> -->

<Swallow name="xload" width="32">
			xload -nolabel -bg "#888888" -fg red -hl white
		</Swallow>

<Clock format="%H:%M">minixcal</Clock>
	</Tray>
</JWM>
Of course, each variable.
Attachments
tray.jpg
(33.22 KiB) Downloaded 1562 times

8-bit

#599 Post by 8-bit »

I did not feel like searching through 600 posts in this topic, so I will ask in this post.
I tried to install slacko 5.3.3 frugally and no matter if I selected probe or vesa, I would get a black screen with only the taskbar and menu.

I tried running the xorgwizard a few times without the display screen changing.
So I reverted to a frugal install of slacko 5.3.2.9 and was able to have it boot to a usable desktop with internet access already taken care of.
That was nice in itself.
I noticed that pupradio did not seem to work with the normal tv selections that it had working before so I do not know what is up with that. Also, I had to download and install flashplayer myself s the menu item to install it did not work with a message asking if I had an internet connection working.
But so far, I like it although it would be nice to have all the updates needed in one post available for download as a pet one could install to correct errors.
And that goes actually for any version of Puppy Linux as to consolidating all updates in one post at the top of the thread for the Puppy version.
Having to search through say 600+ posts for updates and fixes is not the way I want to spend my time.
Now you have my two cents worth.

L18L

re: black screen

#600 Post by L18L »

8-bit wrote:I did not feel like searching through 600 posts in this topic, so I will ask in this post.
I tried to install slacko 5.3.3 frugally and no matter if I selected probe or vesa, I would get a black screen with only the taskbar and menu.
My_Official_Solution
Sure this helps 8)