location of pupsave

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
jillpad

location of pupsave

#1 Post by jillpad »

I'm using Lupu 5.2.8, booting from usb as my netbook has no optical drive. My flash drive has two partitions, both of which are recognised by Puppy but only the first partition is recognised by XP. I wanted to keep my storage simple: partition 1 for Win stuff, and 2 for Puppy. However, I screwed up. Although the Lupu .iso is on 2, on shutdown I got confused - not an entirely uncommon experience! - when asked where to locate pupsave. So it's now on 1,

Is there any way I can move Pupsave to partition 2, and at the same time get subsequent saves directed there? It isn't important, but it would help me feel rather more organised than I actually am.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

You can certainly move the pupsave file just by mounting both partitions and dragging it over.

But it's risky to move a savefile when it's in use. If you had an optical drive, you could boot off the Live CD using the option "puppy pfix=ram". This would start Puppy without using the savefile.

Since you are using a flash drive, locate the file "syslinux.cfg" and open it in a text editor. Add "pfix=ram" to the end of the "append" line.

Reboot. Move the savefile to sdb2. Change syslinux.cfg back to normal.

Reboot.