Puppeee missing plug-ins, but which ones?

Booting, installing, newbie
langstracht

Puppeee missing plug-ins, but which ones?

#1 Post by langstracht »

I have a brand new installation of puppeee.

And already I have been on a number of sites which refuse to co-operate displaying the unhelpful message that I am missing a necessary plug-in - and giving no indication of which one it is.

Does anyone know how to identify which one it is ... and how/where to get it.

TIA

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

hi langstracht

maybe you're missing 'flash' http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/getflash-1.1.pet (once installed use the menu entry to install flash)

i'm only guessing as you didn't say what sites are giving you this message?
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

langstracht

#3 Post by langstracht »

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to help.

I wasn't being cute with not revealing the troublesome sites. Rather I was hoping for a generic "solution" to a missing plug-in problem.

That said I've downloaded the package and, much like the dog who finally caught the car it was chasing, I'm not sure I know what to do with it.

My preference would be to use the package manager but it can't find it - as in "find" turns up no results. That said "flash" (in contrast to "getflash) turns up three versions of flash - which, being at the top of the window, I assume means they are available as opposed to installed.

Can I prevail upon you to help me some more?

Please. And thanks.

Shep

#4 Post by Shep »

The sooner the computing world can rid itself of this Adobe abomination (flash) the better off we all will be. :twisted:

To see whether you have the flash player installed, open a terminal and at the command line type:

find / -name 'libflashplayer.so*'

If you are using firefox and have the flashplayer already installed, you'll see this line (among others):
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so

When you download and install a .pet it is supposed to place this file in this location. So if you think you have just installed the flash player, that command line instruction will confirm it. If you are using seamonkey, I think the file is the same one, but the installed pathname will differ a bit.

Good luck!

666philb

#5 Post by 666philb »

to add to what shep says...... getflash is a flash installer / updater

left click on a the .pet to install it.
once installed 'get flash' will then appear in the menu in the internet category. run getflash from the menu to install the flash plugin

if this doesn't work, a link the a particular site you're having trouble with would help
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

langstracht

#6 Post by langstracht »

Thanks for the respomse.

"Find" came up empty so, as I thought, it is not installed.

And that was the question, preferably using the package manager, "how do I install it?"

Oh and I have been using the Chrome package that came with puppeee - can't seem to find a version number but it's based on Puppy 4.3.1.

As for the flash abomination - Roger that.

My "main" machine runs on ubuntu - and this morning's update containing ONLY flash crashed. The first time EVER that an update has crashed ....

langstracht

#7 Post by langstracht »

Left clicking on the icon does nothing, Right clicking brings up a pop up menu containing, among other things Open With and Set run action and Link. But no "install".

666philb

#8 Post by 666philb »

hmmm it should install by left clicking...... (maybe puppeee is double click?)

if it still doesn't work you can install manually.
download this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19554672/libflashplayer.so and place it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Note: you should be aware that the puplet called puppeee is outdated and isn't maintained anymore.

langstracht

#9 Post by langstracht »

Well, duh!

Double left clicking .. and it was installed in an instant. Presumably successfully.

I guess your reference to "the puplet called puppeee is outdated and isn't maintained anymore." means I should abandon puppeee (installed for all of 36 hours) and find me another distribution.

If so, your, or whomever's, recommendation as to the "best" distribution for an Asus 701 Eee would be much appreciated.

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

Was flash the problem?
Is it now fixed?

About Puppeee,
It was designed specifically for Eee pc's it just is not being updated anymore with new changes to Puppy.
If it works for you and does what you need. no problem using it.

If you want newer Puppy versions, try them and see how they work. They are just not specifically made for the Eee pc.
Lucid 528.005
Slacko 5.3.3
These would be good ones to start with.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

langstracht

#11 Post by langstracht »

Hello. Thanks for responding.

Yes I think that installing flash got rid of the "plug in needed" problem.

That said, and maybe forum protocol says I should start a new thread, now I have another problem.

A number of video sites tell me that "The xine engine failed to start" .. because "No input plugin was found".

So, encore, help!!!

Thanks for the nugget on other distros. I'll certainly keep them in mind. But maybe I'll stick with puppeee for a while and see how it goes.

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

A number of video sites tell me that "The xine engine failed to start" .. because "No input plugin was found".
Could you post link to a problem video site.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

And if this cmd runs- the output: ldd /usr/bin/xine

Your browser of choice?

langstracht

#14 Post by langstracht »

In response to:

Could you post link to a problem video site.

Only with difficulty I'm afraid.

The gxine 0.5.9 "media player" has a bunch of built in menu items. Clicking on some of them results in the message. If there is a url associated with the link I don't know where it is.

Actually I had thought/assumed that the error message was about my machine rather than the site being accessed.

In response to

ldd /usr/bin/xine

the command returns:

No such file or directory.

I hope this is what you were asking.

Semme

#15 Post by Semme »

From a shell then: which xine

And- your browser?

"A number of video sites.."

Are you sure you can't provide a site? Name one that throws the message..

Both video'n audio?

langstracht

#16 Post by langstracht »

From a shell then: which xine
I'm not at all sure that this is what you mean but

sh which xine returns

/bin/which: /bin/which: cannot execute a binary file
And- your browser?
Chrome
Are you sure you can't provide a site? Name one that throws the message..
As I said I cannot find the urls ... but for example "NASA TV" gives the error.

As far as I can tell the problem is limited to video.

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

Shell, terminal, console.. all the same. What you're trying to run there is a script, which *which* is not.

While this page works fine for me, Chrome isn't a practical browser to configure. If you had told me FF or Opera I'd have said "yeah, we can pass the video." As it is, I don't have an answer.

Perhaps it's best for you to move along and choose one of current flavors of Pup, say Saluki.. Slacko or Lucid would be better suited as well..
Attachments
nasatv.jpg
(52.07 KiB) Downloaded 268 times

langstracht

#18 Post by langstracht »

Perhaps switching os's is a good idea. As long as it "works" with the Eee.

But, sorry to say, I'm confused.

The video doesn't play in a gxine window. What does Chrome have to do with that?

While I like Chrome the only reason it's there is because it was part of the puppeee installation.

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

Well, I'm under the impression you're browsing with Chrome when Xine throws that error, no?

Question: Is there a Pfind utility under *filesystem* in your menu?

Yes? Search for libflashplayer.so and pass it's location..

Put this in Chrome's address bar: chrome:plugins

Is Flash the first listing?

langstracht

#20 Post by langstracht »

Well, I'm under the impression you're browsing with Chrome when Xine throws that error, no?
'Fraid not. The "problem" is when I use the stand-alone gxine player. I had never tried watching video within Chrome (on the Eee). But I did so now and it worked fine.
Question: Is there a Pfind utility under *filesystem* in your menu?

Yes? Search for libflashplayer.so and pass it's location..
pfind did not find libflashplayer
Put this in Chrome's address bar: chrome:plugins

Is Flash the first listing?
about:plugins shows Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53 first, gxine starter 2nd.

Back to you ...