Ov-Precise updated iso starts on page 8 No longer AVAILABLE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gcmartin

That is taking what he meant out of context. He indicated th

#81 Post by gcmartin »

James C wrote: ... .Just wanted both sides presented.
Having read and understand most, if not all of the Linux author's comments over the years on this subject, I think some have taken these snippets "out of context". In many societies that has been the case, and its no different here (referring to context).

In reality, the tests that have been conducted over the years (not just those the we, ourselves, here in Puppyland has done) show that there is NO NEGATIVE RESULTS! The benefit for those machines which have the PAE hardware is that they can address ALL RAM that can be loaded on those PCs and the users will never have to change the OS in any adding of RAM he would desire.

The Linux author NEVER said "don't use it" as some in the forum have tried to deduce. in fact, if you go back over time you see that he provided Linux with this ability as CPUs moved from 32bit to 64bit and as RAM became cheaper and larger in size.

Linus Tovalds has shown us the way for 32bit systems.

Puppy benefits in that it does something VERY UNIQUE to 32bit Puppy design. PUPPY will actually make that RAM addressable and USES!!! that RAM when the system is booted when he embraces the portions not used for system operation into the Puppy filesystem. This improves all kinds of speed benefits in overall system operation.

PAE in Puppy 32bit distro operations is a significant benefit to anyone of us who has a system that exploits it. Negative system operations have not been reported in Puppyland. Also, in the larger picture of those who have performed system tests. Test results have been done multiple times publicly (see Google) and privately (among CPU vendor's internal reports). This technology in LInux works!

Hope this clarifies. And hope others understand what Linus Tovalds meant if you go back and take in context what he meant instead of trying to take a single statement and derail a positive effort. Puppy users have already tested this. It works in our favor.

Lastly, I agree with Tovalds that he shouldn't waste anymore time trying to extend 32bit life. 64bit is here and we should use it...if possible. His plate if full as he continues to have Linux address the current and planned changes that are afoot in the Computer Systems and Pheripheral vendors and Operating Systems Arena.

I will make no further comments on this subject in this thread. I feel its the wrong place of the PAE discussion. I only offer this to the thread's author as I thought it would be of help to him (and us) in understanding. I did NOT request him to change directions, simply to have an understanding which could help all of us. I also mentioned about a statement describing platform expectations. The Puppy Forum Community have a thread that has shown all of us that PAE, in fact, works and works well to our benefit. It also includes test results from many in the community.

I have no agenda as I try to help. Puppy continues to operate as a best of breed version of Linux for what it provides us.

Here to help

oldyeller

#82 Post by oldyeller »

I have just done doing the final build, which I am still testing before I upload it. Thanks to pemasu we got the repo working.

My thoughts on pets is it wrong to put pets that work on precise from other distros into the one the I have done?

Also still seeing about the help in abiword.

As far as geany goes, I remember some where on the forum that a memeber was able to change the background color. I don't know if that is way the bg is a different color or not.

James C

#83 Post by James C »

One final comment to gcmartin, it's customary procedure when you accuse someone of misquoting or quoting out of context to produce some evidence proving your allegation.A simple quote,and link to the source, from Linus Torvalds where he recommends using PAE on a desktop computer (not a server) would suffice.
We can agree to disagree but I certainly don't appreciate it being implied that I misquoted anyone.
Back to the normal precise thread. :)

James C

#84 Post by James C »

I am in the process of compiling k-3.2.27 (the newest version of the long-term support kernel)......... takes a while on that old Athlon XP though. :lol:

If you would like a kernel pet and source sfs I'll gladly upload them. It's primarily for my personal use but I don't mind sharing...... :)

EDIT:
Build failed....try again tomorrow I guess..... :lol:

pemasu

#85 Post by pemasu »

I have compiled in Precise Puppy 3.2.27 using Barry`s specs, I just included those missing dvb tuner drivers.
It is still pae kernel.... without taking any sides. Lol. I just used Barry`s DOTconfig without thinking anything.
I decided to update previous kernel to the latest LTS updated version.
I can upload my product...but it will be tomorrow. Today too busy.

James C

#86 Post by James C »

Great news...a new kernel is always good. :)

Re-compiling 3.2.27 (non-pae) here too ....... had an aufs problem earlier but the old Athlon XP is churning away again..... :lol:

Billtoo

#87 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote:I have compiled in Precise Puppy 3.2.27 using Barry`s specs, I just included those missing dvb tuner drivers.
It is still pae kernel.... without taking any sides. Lol. I just used Barry`s DOTconfig without thinking anything.
I updated my slackware 14 install this morning and it updated the
kernel to 3.2.27-smp, it downloads more than one version of the kernel
and the version used on this pc sees all of the ram.
I see no mention of PAE, it shows this in the grub4dos menu.lst file:

title Linux huge smp 3 2 27 smp (sda2/boot)

Hardinfo shows:

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
Memory 4070MB (273MB used)
Operating System Slackware 14.0

Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 3.2.27-smp (i686)
Compiled #2 SMP Mon Aug 13 17:44:26 CDT 2012

Is this is an alternative to PAE?

Ray MK

#88 Post by Ray MK »

Hi pemasu

Would like to try the latest LTS kernel
So an upload when you have time would be great.

Thanks - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

oldyeller

#89 Post by oldyeller »

pemasu wrote:I have compiled in Precise Puppy 3.2.27 using Barry`s specs, I just included those missing dvb tuner drivers.
Looking forward to this as well. with all these kernels it will be interesting to see the possibilities that will come.

Cheers

scabz

#90 Post by scabz »

oldyeller wrote:My thoughts on pets is it wrong to put pets that work on precise from other distros into the one the I have done?
I was just wondering that myself.
I think pets should be compiled in puppy percise or created from ubuntu percise debs, just my opinion i dont know what is right.

but there are some apps and libs that just will not compile for me.
QT, umplayer, smplayer and smtube all compiled fine for me.
xine-lib, xine-ui, vcdimager and a few other that are needed for goggles music manager will not compile for the life of me.

stuff i compiled in lucid works in percise like googlesmm and needed dep..
so i dont know where to go from here.

oldyeller

#91 Post by oldyeller »

scabz wrote:
oldyeller wrote:My thoughts on pets is it wrong to put pets that work on precise from other distros into the one the I have done?
I think pets should be compiled in puppy percise or created from ubuntu percise debs, just my opinion i dont know what is right.

xine-lib, xine-ui, vcdimager and a few other that are needed for goggles music manager will not compile for the life of me.

I like that fact that you have done some and shared it with us. I think that I will do what playdayz does and undeb and make into pets ones that will not compile.

I really have no idea on how to compile anything myself, but is a good time to learn

James C

#92 Post by James C »

Quick update.......

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.2.27_5.2.60 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Thu Aug 16 11:18:05 CDT 2012
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.15 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Unknown distribution
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc21949
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : Unknown (Window Manager: JWM)

Now for some sanity testing ......... :)

scabz

#93 Post by scabz »

here is SMPlayer and SMTube Compiled in Percise

Needs Qt
smplayer-0.8.0-i486.pet Download
smplayer_DOC-0.8.0-i486.pet Download

smtube-1.1-i486.pet Download
smtube_DOC-1.1-i486.pet Download

here is my Qt stripped and made as small as i can make it, do not use to compile only use to run apps. to compile use my sfs's from page 5
qt-4.8.2-i486-stripped.sfs Download

oldyeller

#94 Post by oldyeller »

I have just uploaded and posted about the Final build.

I will continue to update and fix things as needed like geany and help for abiword.

I have put in desksetup-7.0 and getflash-1.1

Now I am getting started to do pets so if anyone wants to help go for it and I will put them in the repo.

I would like to thank:
BarryK
pemasu
Mick
playdayz
roadkill13
James C
Lobster
Sylvander
peebee
majorfoo
Billtoo
splot
LateAdopter
scabz
Eyes-Only
gcmartin

oldyeller

#95 Post by oldyeller »

scabz wrote:here is SMPlayer and SMTube Compiled in Percise

Needs Qt
smplayer-0.8.0-i486.pet Download
smplayer_DOC-0.8.0-i486.pet Download

smtube-1.1-i486.pet Download
smtube_DOC-1.1-i486.pet Download

here is my Qt stripped and made as small as i can make it, do not use to compile only use to run apps. to compile use my sfs's from page 5
qt-4.8.2-i486-stripped.sfs Download
I just add the pets to the repo

thanks

Billtoo

#96 Post by Billtoo »

scabz wrote:

Gogglesmm is available in ppm, it's an older version but it's working okay.
Attachments
gogglesmm.jpg
(44.07 KiB) Downloaded 841 times

pemasu

#97 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. Quick comment. Not much time in this evening:
Only possibility as far as I know is that it is pae kernel. What I know it is the only way in kernel how you can make 32 bit kernel to see more than 4 Gb ( shows 3 Gb ) of RAM. I havent seen any other kernel configure options than pae for more than 4 Gb RAM. And surely 3.2.27 kernel does not have any new options.

You had 4 Gb of RAM. It might be that slackware shows the 4 Gb as 4 Gb, kernel has the limit for non pae as 4 Gb. So...you would need more than 4 Gb RAM to see does it see those excessive Gb`s.

Billtoo

#98 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote:Billtoo. Quick comment. Not much time in this evening:
Only possibility as far as I know is that it is pae kernel. What I know it is the only way in kernel how you can make 32 bit kernel to see more than 4 Gb ( shows 3 Gb ) of RAM. I havent seen any other kernel configure options than pae for more than 4 Gb RAM. And surely 3.2.27 kernel does not have any new options.

You had 4 Gb of RAM. It might be that slackware shows the 4 Gb as 4 Gb, kernel has the limit for non pae as 4 Gb. So...you would need more than 4 Gb RAM to see does it see those excessive Gb`s.
I haven't updated this install yet but hardinfo shows:

Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 8188MB (423MB used)
Operating System Slackware 14.0

Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 3.2.26-smp (i686)
Compiled #2 SMP Tue Aug 7 15:22:26 CDT 2012

pemasu

#99 Post by pemasu »

Definitively pae kernel.

scabz

#100 Post by scabz »

Billtoo how did you make gogglesmm?
Was everything compiled from source or created from precise debs?
was the libs included in the pet or are they separate pets?