Puppy presentation at Pensacola LUG

Promote Puppy !
J_Rey

Puppy presentation at Pensacola LUG

#1 Post by J_Rey »

Well, I've somewhat recently started becoming involved in my local Linux Users Group. The next meeting I'll be doing a presentation on the uniqueness of Puppy Linux. So here's a snippet from my announcement:
There will be an old computer or 2 to show it off.
Guaranteed to have something you didn’t know already.

We’ve been around since 2003 but all levels of Linux experience welcome.

Will be in the board room at Ozone Pizza Pub in Pensacola like normal. Certainly a reasonable drive if you’re in Northwest Florida or Coastal Alabama.

Hope to see you August 21, 2012 @ 7:00 PM or next time when you can make it.
One thing is I still need help getting the touchscreen to work on a 1990's tablet like I posted in another thread.

Last thing is what about you? Help support your local Linux User Group!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Be sure to demonstrate how Puppy can run from a multisession CD or DVD! :)

raffy

good

#3 Post by raffy »

Good initiative - good luck!

Yes, a hard-disk-less demo will be something different.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Last thing is what about you?
If you get someone to film your presentation maybe we can all attend 8)

Also you will find many presentations/tutorials on the web that may be useful
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gcmartin

Interesting.

#5 Post by gcmartin »

This is a very good idea for those of us who have opportunity to show the benefits of Puppy.

I have a demo that I put together at beginning of year showing LH64 running remote bootable PCs where I encourage the community to connect to a switch I provided and they booted their laptops (PXE) and PCs.

"Impressed the hell out of them!" Especially their ability to connect their Windows over the LAN to the folder of multimedia that LH64 allows via its SAMBA.

All of this was run from the LIve DVD media that the HP Touchsmart booted from while NEVER touching the HPs HDD while explaining that if they wanted it was no effort to put LH64 on the HDD.

I have found that users (geeks) don't care much about old PCs anymore. They were much more concerned about present day stuff than the P4 version 1 laptop I showed up with. (I have seen this, as well, at other presentations I have attended or shown. No one wants to hear about old stuff as they don"t see themselves in the past on old stuff since new stuff has become so cheap)

Lobster has given a very good idea to me. I, like many of you, have a Google ID. Using it, any of us can do a presentation that would be interactive with users on the LAN with very little fuss. I have not tried this, so I am curious about how many of us:
  • know that they can do this using their ID?
  • know how to do this?
  • are willing to try this as a demo or with their next demo?
Anyway, this is great news from the OP. I wish you well in your presentation. And I hope all of us has given you additional ideas to impress your audience in you demo.

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

@gc -- often forgotten is that, although new tech is indeed getting cheaper, so is older tech -- and older tech is getting cheaper faster. Oh, and we don't have the privilege of infinite landfill space. Oh, and recycling any kind of tech usually doesn't work out so well for the environment.

I have a friend whose family has a bit of money, he has an ASUS desktop with an Intel i3, 8gig RAM, and Win7. (...and can't imagine how anything as small as puppy could possibly be anywhere near as useful useful...) The best system in my house has 4gig RAM and an Intel Atom D525 -- and Windows XP. The system I'm typing this on now, is a Dell Inspiron 6400 that I've upgraded to an Intel Core2Duo T5500, 2gig RAM, and a 250gig HDD... mostly to support, yep, WinXP.

I also have a laptop that is straight from The Seventh Layer of Dell, a Latitude CPi courtesy of 1999 that I'm considering nicknaming "Dante". It has a 300MHz Pentium II and 64mb RAM (it /had/ 128 and then a slot went bad :( ). Hard drive is an 8gb microdrive cuz I'm fresh out of "real" laptop HDDs. It's sllllooooooooow.

Quite honestly, if I could make the Dell CPi as fast as my admittedly rather sluggish ASUS 1000HEB netbook (also WinXP), I'd be quite happy with it. If the CPi really /is/ inadequate (I'm not convinced of that) then there's a couple of Pentium III laptops I have which would work just as well... TBH, if I *could* buy a bare-knuckles-top-of-the-line system (i7 CPU, 256gig SSD + 8tb of HDD, 32gig RAM, 4 super-awesome graphics cards linked in quad SLI, etc., etc.) I wouldn't know what to do with it! ...and TBH, I'd rather have the CPi to begin with, if it can be made to work well.

Why not make older, less powerful tech /useful/? If not to those who can have the latest/greatest/newest/"best" (usually only the first one, in my experience!) then to the rest of us...?

dogle

#7 Post by dogle »

Thanks to J_Rey .... for doing what you're a-doing, spreading the joys of Puppy a piece wider apace (and for pepping up your LUG).

Sock it to 'em!