Dell Lattitude D400 locks up on closing lid

Please post any bugs you have found
shadowspawn

Dell Lattitude D400 locks up on closing lid

#1 Post by shadowspawn »

I don't know if it's similar to this http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70622 but what I tried didn't work. (I tried out the 5.1.3 wary but it does the same thing.)

This is for Lucid 5.2.5

Please excuse me if this bug is posted somewhere else, but I could not find it. If it is posted elsewhere I will delete this and put this information in that thread.

This is for a Dell Latitude D400. I can reproduce this by using a USB Flash drive "live" distro or frugal full install on any type of drive.

I'm using a CF/IDE system, so I thought it was that, put in a regular HD (and even no HD, booted live with no HD), and then live with a regular HD. All combinations lock up when I close the lid, it never comes back to life. (The firewall is automagically done, so maybe that's why no response to ping)

I've tried using wlan and wired as my connection, and no network setup.

Xubuntu/ubuntu/debian/edubuntu/DSL I've tried, and it doesn't happen. (Doesn't happen with windows XP either, so I'm really guessing hard here I know, but it's not hardware).

I've ran memtests and dell's own diagnostic and it doesn't report anything bad.

I use puppy on a few older machines and this one is the only one that does it. Is there something I can do, using a live USB flash, to try to see what it is?

I'm not doing anything special, it's just an install without any configuration. It's easy for me to test: boot with the USB, go through the setups for wireless, everything works flawlessly (and lovely).

When I shut the lid and open it, the machine never comes back to life.

I have a different Latitude (d505) and Puppy is OK with that. Also a couple of thinkpads I tested with and no problems on shutting the screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

HiDeHo

#2 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi shadowspawn here are some things you can try.
  1. when you shut the lid does the laptop go into sleep or hibernation mode. if it does you will need to have a swap file or swap partition the same size as you have ram. eg for 4gb ram you need 4gb swap file or partition to achieve sleep or hibernation
  2. make sure you have the correct graphic driver installed on the computer with the issue.
I hope one of these options helps you.
HiDeHo is an ideas man. loves to come up with ideas that others think are good and can use
[b]if you are a sneeky computer geek check out sneekygeekers [url=http://www.sneekygeekers.com]click here[/url][/b]

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

I think this is a hardware problem , probably of the lid manager acpid . But mostly it seems to be kernel failure. You should post that at kernel.org or in the users section.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

I have seen some state, tapping the power button, when you open lid, works.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)