Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
aarf

#2101 Post by aarf »

Sage wrote:
this ...(w.h.y.).... is less than a week old.
Didn't you hear? The old ones are best![/code]
yes i can believe that. The new one is very fine. When i first plugged it in i thought there are going to be problems with clogging or bending, and fixing. didnt think about restricted current flow but seems highly likely.

don570

#2102 Post by don570 »

Beta version of Softmaker office program can be
downloaded for free. License serial number is emailed to user.
http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofl_en.htm

aarf

#2103 Post by aarf »

Battery full. Charger plugged in. Remaining battery charge is staying full when i plug in the external thick cable flat plug toshiba 500G harddrive. Not like what was happening last night.

kevin bowers

#2104 Post by kevin bowers »

don570 wrote:Beta version of Softmaker office program can be
downloaded for free. License serial number is emailed to user.
http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofl_en.htm
That's where I've heard of Softmaker before--I have used Textmaker (included in this suite). It's a very good wordprocessor, does everything you ask it to with no extra fuss. There is a .pet somewhere for it, but I guess it's a little outdated now, huh?

otropogo

lupupluslibre iso corrupted?

#2105 Post by otropogo »

After downloading the lupupluslibre iso on the first page of this thread, I forgot to check the md5sum (I've very rarely had a bad download).

I used burniso2cd and did opt to verify the burn, and it was good.

But when I checked the md5sum, it was wrong. I then tried booting with the disk, and got a "kernel corrupted" error message after the initial puppy logo.

Is there another site where I can download a fresh copy? I can't find my original iso download.

Have investigated the lupupluslibre ISO corruption problem further today:

I checked the file size of my recent corrupted lupupluslibre download and found it only 182MB in size, where it should have been 296MB. I downloaded it again, using Seamonkey 2.11

... some possibly erroneous statements removed.

Update. Having finally downloaded a lupupluslibre ISO of the correct size (296MB), I checked the md5sum, and it failed also:

the sum given on the download page (first post in this thread):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=1665

shows the following md5sum:
LupuPlusLibre 5.2.8.005-2 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupup ... .005-2.iso
4f581325d497077be811f88800aeff3a
Whereas the md5sum calculated on my system shows as follows:
sh-4.1# md5sum *.iso
610448a6f7e45733a6ae0589fbb203a8 lupulibre-528.005-2.iso
sh-4.1#
Can it be that the ISO is good, but the wrong md5sum is posted on the website?

Perhaps someone who has saved a working copy of the ISO could run md5sum on it to test this?
Last edited by otropogo on Wed 22 Aug 2012, 19:37, edited 2 times in total.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

don570

#2106 Post by don570 »

I made a pet to launch the beta version of Softmaker apps
using the start menu.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 950#647950

bigpup

#2107 Post by bigpup »

From Adobe's website:
Mozilla, Firefox, SeaMonkey (Flash Player 11.2 is the last supported Flash Player version for Linux. Adobe will continue to provide security updates.)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

kevin bowers

Re: lupupluslibre iso corrupted?

#2108 Post by kevin bowers »

otropogo wrote:After downloading the lupupluslibre iso on the first page of this thread, I forgot to check the md5sum (I've very rarely had a bad download).

But when I checked the md5sum, it was wrong. I then tried booting with the disk, and got a "kernel corrupted" error message after the initial puppy logo.

Is there another site where I can download a fresh copy? I can't find my original iso download.

I checked the file size of my recent corrupted lupupluslibre download and found it only 182MB in size, where it should have been 296MB. I downloaded it again, using Seamonkey 2.11

Update. Having finally downloaded a lupupluslibre ISO of the correct size (296MB), I checked the md5sum, and it failed also:

LupuPlusLibre 5.2.8.005-2 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupup ... .005-2.iso
sh-4.1# md5sum *.iso
sh-4.1#

Perhaps someone who has saved a working copy of the ISO could run md5sum on it to test this?
sh-4.1# md5sum lupupluslibre-528.005-2.iso
4f581325d497077be811f88800aeff3a lupupluslibre-528.005-2.iso
sh-4.1#

otropogo

Re: lupupluslibre iso corrupted?

#2109 Post by otropogo »

kevin bowers wrote:
otropogo wrote:After downloading the lupupluslibre iso on the first page of this thread, I forgot to check the md5sum (I've very rarely had a bad download).

sh-4.1# md5sum *.iso
sh-4.1#

sh-4.1# md5sum lupupluslibre-528.005-2.iso
4f581325d497077be811f88800aeff3a lupupluslibre-528.005-2.iso
sh-4.1#
Thanks Kevin.

I've figured it out now. I downloaded lupulibre instead of lupupluslibre. The md5sum is correct, I just got the wrong download. Unfortunately, I failed to notice the "plus" missing in both my download and in my md5sum report.

OscarTalks

#2110 Post by OscarTalks »

I've added a version of DeaDBeef 0.5.5 Audio Player compiled in Lucid Plus 528-005 here:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 264#637264

It needs libiconv as a dependency so I have posted a .pet of that up there also.
Oscar in England

otropogo

upgraded to LupuPlusLibre 5.2.8.005-2 and lost video

#2111 Post by otropogo »

I finally got the right iso for LupuPlusLibre 5.2.8.005-2, and after booting it, found that Gnome Mplayer (the only video player that comes bundled with it so far as I can see) no longer plays video. Or if it does, it plays it somewhere out of sight. All I get is the audio control panel and the audio. Never happended to me before.

I can still play some video clips on VLC, but it won't handle most of the mp4 files I have.

Is there a fix?

aarf

Re: upgraded to LupuPlusLibre 5.2.8.005-2 and lost video

#2112 Post by aarf »

otropogo wrote:I finally got the right iso for LupuPlusLibre 5.2.8.005-2, and after booting it, found that Gnome Mplayer (the only video player that comes bundled with it so far as I can see) no longer plays video. Or if it does, it plays it somewhere out of sight. All I get is the audio control panel and the audio. Never happended to me before.

I can still play some video clips on VLC, but it won't handle most of the mp4 files I have.

Is there a fix?
i had to long mess with the mediaplayer too but did succeed in getting it to function correctly.

aarf

#2113 Post by aarf »

functioning settings
Attachments
gnome mplayer config luci528.png
(42.11 KiB) Downloaded 995 times
gnome mplayer config2 luci528.png
(46.07 KiB) Downloaded 985 times

Atle

#2114 Post by Atle »

Hi all...

Is there a sort of release schedule for 5.2.8? I have based my "derivate" on 5.2.8.004 and since its a long time since April and the 005 version, I am curious about the 006 version?

Also I wonder a bit about how it will go if I make a "derivate" qs big as 680mb. The general idea can be found around some threads here and there, but most recent here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80646

and at:

http://www.schoolux.org

I come to realize that I want to stick to THIS puppy and not stumble around with new stuff like Precise.

My question around the 680mb version is if it will all load into ram at first boot or if it needs to be "sliced", so that the "fat" part containing the Edu content, could be a SFS or a .PET, that can be installed after one have done a installation...

My hope is that one can run it from the CD and that it load to 50% of ram and then needs the CD to store the rest or something like that. Just imagine I remaster a CD from a 5.2.8 whereas the /root contains something like 500mb of data in the webserver folder. Also there might be some size on the database file that i guess is in another folder without me knowing where.

My hope is to be able to boot on PC with 256 ram only but that might not be possible. I can live with 512, but 256 would be awsome...

The whole point is to be able to have a ISO file as large as 680mb and then boot on as little as possible... I have not really gone to the step of trying this out, but I hope for some qualified guessing or just hard facts, be em good or bad for this project:-)

Atle

Pelo

On est revenu au temps du cinéma muet

#2115 Post by Pelo »

I can look at 'The Artist', french movie. But the other ones ?
adding alsa pet xxxxxx.24 lets you hear her voice. But why the trade marked Lucid 528 has not yet included and resolved the problem ?
Pourtant, cette distro a beaucoup de charmes.

I use now Precise 5.2.60 which is perfect and also provides Ubuntu packages. And i have Linux Mint.

Pelo

Do little puppies, please

#2116 Post by Pelo »

Do little puppies, please, We shall add by ourself what we need. Give us the speed, the decorative themes, we have a lot of puplets at our disposal. It's fun, i like it.
But please try to improve the old pets to make them attractive. Using Ubuntus repository will make us to go away and use UBUNTU, or LINUX MINT. Show your difference.
We dont have any product which can be used seriously by a professional. It's not my problem, i use Puppy for fun. But if i had to use it at my work, it would be impossible.
For instance, Improve Business repository, when i say business, it's a great word. We just need some nice program to make our domestic accounts, but a nice one !
Even Ubuntu has nothing new to propose ! fine cover, and inside old and ugly programs, (when they work).
Désolé.worried.

Atle

#2117 Post by Atle »

I agree with you Pelo that the .pet's that are here and some very unique ones are mostly forgotten and hidden in this forum.

And that is a big shame. Just here the other day Barry him self wrote about ShareInternet, that is a real hidden treasure as if it was something new...

The author, Gyro on this forum made this in 2009.

Tell me one distro that has a better solution for "just" sharing internet or becoming a router than Puppy? Yet it took 3 years to "discover" this brilliant small Pet.

So its not the first time I say this. I even tried once to make a contest like Pet of The Year, but there was non or little support for that.

I do not agree that Puppy users will jump to Ubuntu as you use the Ubuntu repo, but what i can not understand is why one does not use repo from smaller distroes like Tiny Core and Slitaz. This due to all these dependencies and simplicity.

There are many other pets hidden around in this forum and its a shame.

I just need to ask once again if there is like a plan for more new versions of 5.2.8 like 006 or something? Can Playdayz say a few short words about that? The reason I ask is because I like to make a plan my self on releasing stuff and I really love 5.2.8, but like to know if all efforts are now in Precise?

bigpup

#2118 Post by bigpup »

With work on Puppy being done by volunteers, all over the world, and only a very loose sense of organization, provided by Barry Kauler. Programs and versions of Puppy will only improve, when someone takes it upon them self to work on it and post their work, for others to use.
Most everyone works on Puppy for fun and as a hobby. I know I do. It is always what do I want to do, not what do I have to.

If you are not making money, on what you program, there is no constant reason to come up with a newer version, that you can get more money for.
Most of the really useful programs do get improved, but again only when someone wants to do it.
I think at some point you would be done with improvements and only be adding complexity and bloat.
Look at a typical remote control. Do you even know what half the buttons do?
I sure do not! :shock: :D :wink:

Yes programs do seem to get lost in all the forum posts and Puppy related web sites. Some effort has been made to organize Additional Software section of the forum.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

Useful Pets -- Puppy is a Do-Acracy

#2119 Post by mikeslr »

We can stand around cursing the darkness. Or we can each light a small candle. Or as someone in my Company said in a stage-whisper, as we stood around 4:30 on a dreary November morning listening to the Top Sergeant drone on: "If we all take a bite out of him, maybe he'll go away."
I'll mention this again. Perhaps less sarcastically. A year or so ago, after some objections, the Additional Software Sub-forum was re-organized to provide an index. But it doesn't work automatically or magically. Someone has to write a post on it describing an application and linking to the tread containing the download link of the application. Preferably, that someone would be the application's creator. But it could be any forum member.
Most applications are NOT distro-dependent. Some are Kernel dependent. But the only certain way to find out is to try an application in other than the Puplet used to build it. In the latest versions of precise, exprimo, and slacko, I still use a great thesaurus, artha, created by sikpupy, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48854, three years ago for Puppy 4.31, which was a T2 build.
If you have a favorite application --one that you alway install as it hasn't found its way among the applications provided by a Puplet Dev-- see if it's shows up on the Additional Software Sub-forum. If it hasn't, post about it. If it has, and it works well under a new Puplet build, post that information. That post will move the application to the top of the Additional Software Sub-Forum's Catgory Discussion tread and keep it within the public's short attention span. If it doesn't work well under a Puplet, post that in the tread of Puplet in which it doesn't work. That's the only way the Dev, and those testers who build applications, will know. Perhaps there's only some lib file missing: an easy fix which can turned into a pet to be installed along with the original application when it's to be used in the Puplet otherwise missing it. And that fact should be posted to the thread on the Additional Software Sub-Forum regarding the application. Or perhaps an entirely new build will be necessary, a new thread on the Sub-Forum started, with a link to it on the old thread.
How are those who can supposed to know if we don't tell them?

mikesLr

Atle

#2120 Post by Atle »

I honestly do not think the .pet's should be located in the forum at all.

Like all the .pet's for 5.2.8 should be found in the NEWS section on QuickPet and then organized at some webpage the NEWS points to.

A forum is not the place anyone expects the packages to be found.

Its ok with not all off them being in the lets say Lucid repo, but the forum is just not where anyone would look for it.

So if we narrow the focus and just thinks about 5.2.8.006...

Then what? Could there be a LARGE step for Puppy if one really did this and lighted a small candle for each of these nice little Pupplets?

I can step forward and write a few words about LHMP, as that is the pet I have fought the most with. I can also work with some forum members that would like to help out on this by making a website that is possible for more than just one member to post to etc and host it.

What is a real asset here in this forum is that one can easily give trust to a whole lot of people as one is "proven" by your own forum history and contributions.

I have no problem raising my hand to be the one to add the first .pet into such a system, structure it a bit and then give other forum members the possibility to add more .pet's.

If there was one thing that is going to lift Puppy fast, its to give reasonable attention to the pets as some of them are very unique and can not be found in any other distro...

By adding a little description(not really found in the Lucid repo or packet manager) we then "denerd" Puppy a bit for others to be able to show off more aggressive stuff in their OS:-)