How do I Update Seamonkey Browser?

Booting, installing, newbie
slacker

How do I Update Seamonkey Browser?

#1 Post by slacker »

I have Slacko Puppy ver 5.3.3 running on a live CD and I save my Puppy sessions on a USB Flash Drive. I have 1Gb of RAM in my PC.
I searched this forum to no avail for a very simple step-by-step process to update my Seamonkey browser to the latest version (I'm getting a warning that my version 2.9.1 may have security issues & I should update.). There are lots of esoteric posts that have fragments of the process, but I have not found a stand alone step by step process containing EVERY step with the details.
So, starting with a download of the file seamonkey-2.11.tar.bz2, can someone please identify the simple step by step process to update?
Learning this as a generic process will be helpful for updating other apps too.

P.S. I only intend to use Puppy for better security when doing online financial related activities. If I had piles of free time, I would love to learn all the esoteric nuances of Puppy linux, but I'll save that for another day.
My analogy: I just want a milk shake. I just don't have the time to learn how to start and grow a dairy herd just to get a milk shake. Please don't interpret this as being disrespectfull to anyone on this forum. I have the utmost respect for every one here who is likely enjoying the experience of learning to use Puppy linux. By nature, I'm somewhat of a geek. I'm sure that just learning and doing the steps to update Seamonkey will be fun. Thank you in advance!

majorfoo

Re: How do I Update Seamonkey Browser?

#2 Post by majorfoo »

slacker wrote:I have Slacko Puppy ver 5.3.3 running on a live CD and I save my Puppy sessions on a USB Flash Drive. I have 1Gb of RAM in my PC.
I searched this forum to no avail for a very simple step-by-step process to update my Seamonkey browser to the latest version (I'm getting a warning that my version 2.9.1 may have security issues & I should update.). There are lots of esoteric posts that have fragments of the process, but I have not found a stand alone step by step process containing EVERY step with the details.
So, starting with a download of the file seamonkey-2.11.tar.bz2, can someone please identify the simple step by step process to update?
Learning this as a generic process will be helpful for updating other apps too.

P.S. I only intend to use Puppy for better security when doing online financial related activities. If I had piles of free time, I would love to learn all the esoteric nuances of Puppy linux, but I'll save that for another day.
My analogy: I just want a milk shake. I just don't have the time to learn how to start and grow a dairy herd just to get a milk shake. Please don't interpret this as being disrespectfull to anyone on this forum. I have the utmost respect for every one here who is likely enjoying the experience of learning to use Puppy linux. By nature, I'm somewhat of a geek. I'm sure that just learning and doing the steps to update Seamonkey will be fun. Thank you in advance!
Check out the following:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80088

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Namely the comments offered by <wink> OscarTalks. Most other updates are easier..

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

In Seamonkey navigation toolbar:

Help->Check for Updates

If it finds any it should offer to download and install.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

slacker

The Seamonkey Update Worked!

#5 Post by slacker »

Majorfoo & Semme:

Thank you for identifying the discussion link below.
Per "OscarTalks" Sat 04 Aug 2012, 09:39 post at,
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80088

I renamed the existing ver 2.9.1 seamonkey directory in /usr/lib to seamonkeyold so I could restore to older ver 2.9.1 if needed.
Then I extracted the ver 2.11 tar to /usr/lib and the update worked. Then I deleted the seamonkeyold directory and the ver 2.11 tar source file.

When I rebooted my PC (to verify the update was persistent), the update still worked. However, the free space in my SLACKOSAVE file went from approx. 110M to 68M. Not sure why that happened if all I did was substitute the old seamonkey directory with the new. Perhaps new ver 2.11 seamonkey directory size increase over the old accounts for this approx 42M reduction? Somehow, that seems like a BIG change for a minor update.

BigPup,
Perhaps your update method would use up less SLACKOSAVE space?

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Slacker- you'll discover a few things here that'll help you uncover where that space is being used. On my install SM gobbles up roughly 74mb's between system and user directories. If the new one runs OK, then there's no longer a reason for any fallback. The folder that needs to be backed up, the one holding your settings, is named *.default (* being numerical) in your users .mozilla/seamonkey folder. Hey, if there's more than one- profiles.ini'll tell you which one it's using. If you wanna increase your savefile, that option's under utility..

OscarTalks

#7 Post by OscarTalks »

The original SeaMonkey 2.9.1 in Slacko is compiled with all update facilities disabled so can not be updated from the Help menu. The Update option is not there. That is why it has to be done by substitution of the folder.

The new SeaMonkey 2.11 does include the update facility for future updates, but won't do anything now because it is the current version anyway.

I must admit that I didn't monitor how much extra space the new one occupies in comparison to the old. I have ample space in my save-file so it wasn't a major concern at the time. 42M is the size of the new folder and since the old one is part of the distro it may be that deleting it does not recover any save-file space.

If save-file space is a concern maybe you could place the new folder in /mnt/home (which is outside the save-file) and put a symlink to it in /usr/lib rather than the folder itself. Just tried that in my Slacko and it does work and save-file space does increase by the 42M. The only thing I am not sure about with this is that it may not survive a reboot if your /mnt/home is not in a Linux (ext2, ext3 or ext4) partition. If it is ntfs or vfat then it may not work. Perhaps someone who is set up like that can do a quick test and report.
Oscar in England

slacker

Learning the SM Update Process was Very Helpful

#8 Post by slacker »

Semme & Oscar,

Being a Puppy newbee, your insights/info were very helpful with respect to: save-file size usage, and the settings folder.
I'll be exploring the settings folder, and reading the thread on the save-file.
The size of the save-file is a minor issue for my needs (large capacity flash drives have been steadily trending towards very inexpensive).

I will be curious to see how it goes when the SM v2.11 UPDATE facility processes the next version.

Thank you,
J-

mcewanw

symbolic links to external Seamonkey on ntfs is also okay

#9 Post by mcewanw »

OscarTalks wrote:...
The new SeaMonkey ...

If save-file space is a concern maybe you could place the new folder in /mnt/home (which is outside the save-file) and put a symlink to it in /usr/lib rather than the folder itself. Just tried that in my Slacko and it does work and save-file space does increase by the 42M. The only thing I am not sure about with this is that it may not survive a reboot if your /mnt/home is not in a Linux (ext2, ext3 or ext4) partition. If it is ntfs or vfat then it may not work. Perhaps someone who is set up like that can do a quick test and report.
My /mnt/home is on an ntfs partition and I have the latest Seamonkey 2.12.1 untarred onto there rather than into my pupsave file. I renamed the /usr/lib/Seamonkey folder in the pupsave to /usr/lib/SeamonkeyOLD then, in Rox, right-clicked the new /mnt/home/seamonkey directory and chose Link... (and checked it was a relative i.e. Symbolic Link). From that Link... window, I dragged the link over to /usr/lib.

In other words, I made a symbolic link from /usr/lib/seamonkey (in the pupsave) which pointed to /mnt/home/shared_browsers/seamonkey on my ntfs hard drive partition (which is outside the pupsave). It works fine.

To save a bit more space, I similarly make a symbolic link /root/.mozilla pointing to a copy I make of the original /root/.mozilla to /mnt/home/shared_browsers/.mozilla. That also works fine even though the underlying partition is ntfs on my computer. In fact, I similarly symbolic link /usr/lib/mozilla to /mnt/home/shared_browsers/mozilla

I have three frugal puppy installs on this computer (Slacko 5.3.3, Wary 5.3, and Lupu 5.2.8-005) and they all have these symbolic links in them allowing them to share the same external Seamonkey and plugins (including flash).[Wary 5.3 needed dbus pets installed from the Wary repository]. I plan to use the same arrangement for Skype.
Last edited by mcewanw on Sun 16 Sep 2012, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

8-bit

#10 Post by 8-bit »

In my case, I first copied the /root/.mozilla directory to /mnt/home.
I then renamed /usr/lib/seamonkey (dir) to /usr/lib/seamonkey-old.
I then installed the downloaded seamonkey.
I then deleted /root/.mozilla.
I then created a system link of the /mnt/home/.mozilla in /root/.mozilla.
So now I have all my bookmarks, and passwords as well as plugins preserved after the manual update.

mcewanw

yes symlinks CAN be used on and to ntfs filesystems!

#11 Post by mcewanw »

8-bit wrote:In my case, I first copied the /root/.mozilla directory to /mnt/home.
Yes, it is well-known (which is the dangerous assumption I refer to below...:-) that you can use symlinks anywhere on Linux when the underlying partitions are compatible (e.g. ext2, ext3 etc). But is your /mnt/home an ntfs formatted partition, which is what OscarTalks was asking about?

There is a common misconception that you can't use symlinks at all when ntfs is involved, but that is an inaccurate point of view. The misconception may arise from relying on untested information found on the web (trusting googling too much...). Like urban myths these so called technical truths circulate and even skilled users sometimes help spread them because they didn't take the time to actually test what works and what doesn't. In fact, as far as I know (and I have tested this on my system) you can:

1. use relative or absolute symlinks from your pupsave file to files or directories stored on ntfs.

2. use absolute (but not relative) symlinks back the other way. i.e. you can create absolute (but not relative) symlinks on the ntfs filesystem pointing back into your pupsave... (because the pupsave is considered to be a different filesystem by the underlying ntfs, which can't handle that)

3. use absolute or relative symlinks on the ntfs filesystem itself to any files or (sub)directories that are also on that same ntfs filesystem. Hence, if you untar a big package onto your ntfs /mnt/home it will be fine even if their are relative symlinks inside it because all parts of it are on the same ntfs filesystem, and you can point to it from other filesystems (such as your pupsave without problem).

The important point here is that you can indeed copy files or directories out of your pupsave onto a mounted ntfs partition (or ext2, ext3 etc of course...) and point to them using symlinks.

The moral is that we should never assume we know something technical unless we actually try it out ourselves. Facts are facts only once verified (I remind myself... :-)
github mcewanw

8-bit

#12 Post by 8-bit »

When I talked about making a system link, it was on a linux partition.
I do not want trouble trying to have one to a directory or file stored on an NTFS partition.
As a matter of fact, all of my Puppy stuff is on a second hard drive dedicated to it.
I installed EasyBCD on Windows on the first drive to boot various versions of Puppy on the second drive.
So other than the install of EasyBCD on the Windows drive, no Puppy files are there.
And my reasoning for putting the .mozilla directory in /mnt/home was so that I could seamlessly use it between booted versions of Puppy.