Puppy Derivatives and which Window Manager?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mikeschn

Puppy Derivatives and which Window Manager?

#1 Post by mikeschn »

Does anyone have a list of Puppy Derivatives and which Window Manager is used?

e.g.

Saluki ==> XFCE
Precise Checkmate ==> LXDE
Dpup Exprimo ==> JWM

etc..

Thanks,

Mike

Tote

#2 Post by Tote »

mikeschn

#3 Post by mikeschn »

That's perfect!

Thanks!

Tote

#4 Post by Tote »

You're welcome. :)

mikeslr

Regarding Window's Managers

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi anyone reading this,

Once you figure out how to customize it, xfce (which can be installed via a pet into most Puppies) is the most customizable.

I hate wading thru menus, or having to minimize open windows to get to desktop icons. There are about 12 applications I use with some frequency. Several Puppies come with Openbox + fbpanel. fbpanel's taskbar is easily customizable so that 5 applications are always available. If you search you'll find a pet for "Launcher" that creates a second customizable panel on which you can add another 8. You can set it to be "hidden." Unlike wbar, it is not always hidden, but will pop-up on mouse-over.
But you don't have to install Openbox to obtain almost as many "always available, 1-click away" applications.
fbpanel can be added to any window's manager, except Xfce. You can customize it's config file to show up, for example, in the center of the left edge. It doesn't interfere with the use of Menu, but if your use Opera with a panel, that panel would have to be on the right.
Attached is a screeny of my desktop using Jwm with fbpanel and launcher. I customized this Pup before I realized I could just use fbpanel as described above. Haven't changed it: "it ain't broke."

mikesLr

mikeschn

Re: Regarding Window's Managers

#6 Post by mikeschn »

mikeslr wrote:Hi anyone reading this,

Once you figure out how to customize it, xfce (which can be installed via a pet into most Puppies) is the most customizable.

I
Hey Mikeslr,

Where can I find the XFCE pet? And which distro is it for?

(I already have Saluki)

Mike...

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

Hello, mikesir and clive:

Bravo for your iconless desktops ! :D

I like it!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Marv

Iconless desktop

#8 Post by Marv »

Another iconless fan here. I've used wbar (in boxpup), fbpanel, conky, but currently happily use the built-in panel in xfce4 in Saluki 021 and 023. It is readily customized, easily supports 10 or so launchers, drive mounter, clock calender, retrovol, battery app, free space app and more. If compositor is turned on in xfce, it can be fully transparent and will autohide if you want. My wbar/conky setup in boxpup is beautiful but the one-stop-shopping and overall utility of the xfce4 panel has won me over.

:D
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.