Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Security/Privacy
Fprot Updater fails with "expired license key" message
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Author Message
otropogo


Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 702
Location: Southern Rocky Mt. Trench

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012, 00:38    Post subject:  Fprot Updater fails with "expired license key" message
Subject description: As of August 18 , 2012 attempts to update the sigs file with xfprot fail
 

The message is:

"error update server expired license-key"

Judging by messages posted in the fprot forum, it doesn't matter how recent the version of Fprot for Linux is, they are all affected by this failure, including those just downloaded and installed.

Mine worked just two days ago under Lupupluslibre, and it's

Package v. 6.0.2, Engine v. 4.5.65.1, circa 2007!

https://forum.f-prot.com/index.php?topic=2601.0

_________________
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

Last edited by otropogo on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 21:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Semme

Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 3967
Location: World_Hub

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012, 04:46    Post subject:  

Looks like you can enable debugging.. though I'd probably give'm a few days..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
otropogo


Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 702
Location: Southern Rocky Mt. Trench

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:10    Post subject:  

Semme wrote:
Looks like you can enable debugging.. though I'd probably give'm a few days..


The updater seems to be working again this morning. It now says the sigs are up to date...

Is there a pet for a more recent version of xfprot or fprot, or a deb package one could use in Lupuplus?

_________________
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Semme

Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 3967
Location: World_Hub

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:52    Post subject:  

According to F-Prot, they're @ v6.2.1. Pup forums say otherwise..
Code:
F-PROT Antivirus CLS version 6.5.1.5418, 32bit (built: 2010-09-10T17-02-09)

FRISK Software International (C) Copyright 1989-2010
Engine version:   4.6.2.117
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
otropogo


Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 702
Location: Southern Rocky Mt. Trench

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012, 21:25    Post subject:  

Semme wrote:
According to F-Prot, they're @ v6.2.1. Pup forums say otherwise..
Code:
F-PROT Antivirus CLS version 6.5.1.5418, 32bit (built: 2010-09-10T17-02-09)

FRISK Software International (C) Copyright 1989-2010
Engine version:   4.6.2.117


According to a post in the fprot forum linked in my original post above, the current version is 6.7.1

_________________
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Semme

Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 3967
Location: World_Hub

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug 2012, 00:31    Post subject:  

*Poor* labeling- 6.2.1.. Update if you like. Manual should be fine..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
otropogo


Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 702
Location: Southern Rocky Mt. Trench

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug 2012, 13:28    Post subject:  

Semme wrote:
*Poor* labeling- 6.2.1.. Update if you like. Manual should be fine..


Thanks for your help, Semme.

_________________
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Semme

Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 3967
Location: World_Hub

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug 2012, 19:57    Post subject:  

You're more than welcome. Did you happen to update- the engine?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
otropogo


Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 702
Location: Southern Rocky Mt. Trench

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug 2012, 22:52    Post subject:  

Semme wrote:
You're more than welcome. Did you happen to update- the engine?


Not yet. There are a couple of problems.

1. I haven't got an md5sum or hash for it, and

2. when I extracted the archive the archiver said "wrapper exited with an error",

3. I don't know how to install it, since I've never done it without a pet or a bundled version before. I don't even know whether I have to uninstall the old version first.

Any suggestions?

_________________
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Semme

Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 3967
Location: World_Hub

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2012, 06:42    Post subject:  

Is the current install located in /opt?

You extracted using?

Which Pup?

Code:
F-PROT Antivirus CLS version 6.7.10.6267, 32bit (built: 2012-03-27T12-34-14)

FRISK Software International (C) Copyright 1989-2011
Engine version:   4.6.5.141
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
otropogo


Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 702
Location: Southern Rocky Mt. Trench

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2012, 13:45    Post subject:  

Semme wrote:
Is the current install located in /opt?


yes

Quote:
You extracted using?


XArchive 0.2.8-6 was used to extract, it was suggested on download by Puppy as default app.

Quote:
Which Pup?


Lupuplus libre is the pup, not sure which version. Have misplaced the original iso downloaded, the LiveDVD I burned with it has died, and I am booting the updated 5.2.8.sfs with an older Lucid 5.2.8 LiveCD. The current version of Lupupluslibre linked on the Lucid 5.2.8 thread seems to be corrupted (md5sum doesn’t match),

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

so I’m unable to get a fresh copy.

Have just noted that the sfs file loaded (I believe!) is called lupu_528-0.sfs and is dated as "changed" Sept. 7, 2011, and "modified" August 20, 2011. The copy burned to CD is called lupu_528.sfs and is dated Aug. 17, 2011. They seem to be the same size - 125M (130916368 Bytes), according to pmount.. This is baffling, as I recall the lupupluslibre download being substantially larger, around 300MB, IIRC.

So I guess I don't really have a clue what I'm running.


This is one of the more annoying aspects of the pupply version proliferation...

Update: looking through the pet manager, I see that what's on this desktop machine is instant update Lucid 528-001

Also checked the file sizes of my recent corrupted lupupluslibre download and found it only 182MB in size, where it should have been 296MB. Am now downloading it again, and keeping my fingers crossed.


Correction: I must have interrupted the second incomplete download. The third had the right MB count of 296, but failed the md5sum check. Hoping someone with the current lupulibre ISO can tell me whether the md5sum on the Lucid page is wrong.

Quote:
Code:
F-PROT Antivirus CLS version 6.7.10.6267, 32bit (built: 2012-03-27T12-34-14)

FRISK Software International (C) Copyright 1989-2011
Engine version:   4.6.5.141

_________________
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

Last edited by otropogo on Wed 22 Aug 2012, 23:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Semme

Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 3967
Location: World_Hub

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2012, 15:46    Post subject:  

528's fine. As suggested in the readme, I'd probably remove the old one, then run a manual install from their tarball. In other words.. you can remove it via PPM, which should wipe out the f-prot folder in opt, while effectively breaking any symlinks in /usr/local/bin. You could just as well delete it. You might wanna backup your current def file before proceeding, that is- if ya think ya can handle the manual install. Hint: Rt-clk the pet and >> file >> extract here.. then take a look..

Any symlinks to fpscan and/or fpupdate in /usr/local/bin on your current install? There an f-prot.conf in /etc?

Most of these <-docs> appear to be useless for the current version..

Code:

 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/fpscan /usr/local/bin/fpscan
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fpscan.1 /usr/local/man/man1/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fprot-conf.5 /usr/local/man/man5/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fpupdate.8 /usr/local/man/man8/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/fpscand /usr/local/sbin/fpscand
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/fpmon /usr/local/sbin/fpmon
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fpscand.8 /usr/local/man/man8/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fp-milter.8 /usr/local/man/man8/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fp-qmail.8 /usr/local/man/man8/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fpmon.8 /usr/local/man/man8/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fp.so.8 /usr/local/man/man8/
 cp /opt/f-prot/f-prot.conf.default /opt/f-prot/f-prot.conf
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/etc/f-prot.conf /etc/f-prot.conf
 chmod a+x /opt/f-prot/fpscan
 chmod u+x /opt/f-prot/fpupdate
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/man_pages/scan-mail.pl.8 /usr/share/man/man8/
 chmod +x /opt/f-prot/mailtools/scan-mail.pl
workstation_contents.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   60.46 KB
 Viewed   1081 Time(s)

workstation_contents.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
otropogo


Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 702
Location: Southern Rocky Mt. Trench

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2012, 23:31    Post subject:  

Semme wrote:
528's fine. As suggested in the readme, I'd probably remove the old one, then run a manual install from their tarball. In other words.. you can remove it via PPM, which should wipe out the f-prot folder in opt, while effectively breaking any symlinks in /usr/local/bin. You could just as well delete it. You might wanna backup your current def file before proceeding, that is- if ya think ya can handle the manual install. Hint: Rt-clk the pet and >> file >> extract here.. then take a look..

Any symlinks to fpscan and/or fpupdate in /usr/local/bin on your current install? There an f-prot.conf in /etc?

Most of these <-docs> appear to be useless for the current version..

Code:

 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/fpscan /usr/local/bin/fpscan
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fpscan.1 /usr/local/man/man1/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fprot-conf.5 /usr/local/man/man5/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fpupdate.8 /usr/local/man/man8/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/fpscand /usr/local/sbin/fpscand
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/fpmon /usr/local/sbin/fpmon
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fpscand.8 /usr/local/man/man8/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fp-milter.8 /usr/local/man/man8/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fp-qmail.8 /usr/local/man/man8/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fpmon.8 /usr/local/man/man8/
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/doc/man/fp.so.8 /usr/local/man/man8/
 cp /opt/f-prot/f-prot.conf.default /opt/f-prot/f-prot.conf
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/etc/f-prot.conf /etc/f-prot.conf
 chmod a+x /opt/f-prot/fpscan
 chmod u+x /opt/f-prot/fpupdate
 ln -fs /opt/f-prot/man_pages/scan-mail.pl.8 /usr/share/man/man8/
 chmod +x /opt/f-prot/mailtools/scan-mail.pl


Appreciate you help. But I'm far from confident about the manual install. The old engine still works, and I don't want to lose it. As soon as I can get a fresh copy of lupulibre, I'll be happy to try your instructions on another installation. But for now, I can't risk it. Thanks.

_________________
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
michel804

Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 14
Location: Richmond, VA

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar 2014, 16:29    Post subject: Fprot "Can not get handle to virus signature file: "
Subject description: Cannot scan drive
 

i installed fprot on ThinSlack 5.3.3 but I couldnot do the scan. instead i got this message "Can not get handle to virus signature file: Invalid parameter" I am not sure how to update or create a virus signature file
thanks for help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
otropogo


Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 702
Location: Southern Rocky Mt. Trench

PostPosted: Sat 17 May 2014, 19:35    Post subject: Re: Fprot "Can not get handle to virus signature file: "
Subject description: Cannot scan drive
 

michel804 wrote:
i installed fprot on ThinSlack 5.3.3 but I couldnot do the scan. instead i got this message "Can not get handle to virus signature file: Invalid parameter" I am not sure how to update or create a virus signature file
thanks for help


I haven't tried ThinSlack, but xfprot (the updater for Fprot sigs) is the main reason I'm still running Luplus5.28-005, instead of 5.28.6 or other variants of Puppy.

I need a virus scanner on Puppy, because I download all my stuff from the Web using it, and run Windows on the same machine. The Windows doesn't go online, so it has no protection against any malware in the downloaded material.

Unfortunately, virus scanners seem almost non-existent in the Linux world. Knoppix 7.2 has one availale -clamAV IIRC. And I installed with synaptic and ran it for a while. Then, when I went to update the sigs files, after a one month or longer interval, I found they were still current! Not too reassuring.

Fprot, although it has an ancient engine, updates its sigs fairly frequently. But it's not listed in Knoppix's two repositories, and no-one seems to have made a pet for xfprot for Puppy in recent years. And xfprot is getting fairly old now too, and I've never been able to find an installation package for it, other than the old pet.

There's a Debian package for one of the other free scanners available, but I don't feel confident about doing manual installs.

How did you install your fprot in ThinSlack?

_________________
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Security/Privacy
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0981s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0056s) ][ GZIP on ]