[HowTo] Install Skype on Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
corvan

#41 Post by corvan »

Flash wrote:
How would we know? You didn't tell us anything about your hardware except that it's a notebook. How much RAM does it have?
Hi, Flash,
I've got a Fujitsu-Siemens notebook, PIII 600, 128MB ram, I am not using the harddisk (6GB full of win98-stuff) for Linux but boot from CD and save on usbstick.
Works fine, although i must say that the system freezes from time to time - cursor slows down or hangs completely. In that case a proper shutdown is not possible - I just have to switch of the PC and reboot. That is one of the reasons I wanted to try the latest Puppy-version.
Since I mainly use Puppy for serfing the internet or keep in contact with friends from abroad via skype I could live with these breakdowns. But that was one reason why i wanted to try a newer version of puppy, which I really think is fantastic otherwise - I recommend it a lot to friends.
So what can i do to improve the performance, make the system more stable or use the lattest puppy and skype? Or is it the best thing to do to stick as long as possible tosystem that is working (at least most of the time)? Or should I try an older version of Puppy, and which one?
I would appreciate some advice very much.
corvan

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#42 Post by Flash »

128 MB is barely enough RAM to boot Puppy from the live CD without a swap partition or file. I'm not surprised you're having problems. Is there any chance you can add RAM to this computer? The computer is old enough that used or surplus RAM might be cheap. 256 MB is the minimum I'd recommend for how you're using Puppy. If the computer can handle 512 MB, I'd put that much in.

corvan

#43 Post by corvan »

Flash wrote:128 MB is barely enough RAM to boot Puppy from the live CD without a swap partition or file. I'm not surprised you're having problems. Is there any chance you can add RAM to this computer?
There is only one slot which is already used by the 128 MB I have; apart from the price for a 256MB module I have no clue how to install RAM in this notebook I have. But I could make some room for a swap partition on the hdd, if that would help. It wouldn't make the pc more vulnerable with regard to viruses, would it? I mean, mounting the hdd? I guess not - I will try a swap partition as soon as I find some time to make a proper backup of the data on my c: partition first.
Thanks for your advice and suggestions.
corvan.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#44 Post by Flash »

Good luck.

If you have problems making or using a swap partition, you might get more help if you start a thread about it in the Users section rather than continuing to post here, where the people who can help with swap might not read it.

wwaiter

Fix for mic not working w/ puppy linux and laptop Lenovo s10

#45 Post by wwaiter »

Some of you with laptops that have built in mic's may experience issues with the mic not working with skype and on puppy linux. In my case, i could hear my puffing on the mic via built in speakers and while off of skype, but when on skype it was not able to pick up the sound... so I knew my mic was working.

First i've tried everything, changing the mic settings on skype, checking the Alsamixer and Zmixer, uninstalling then reinstalling, even trying different versions with no avail. Though it did not work for me, I believe you should do the same and simply check.

Then I downloaded another mixer from Puppy Package Manager called Sgmixer 0.3 and wouldn't you know it, it worked! Now people can hear me talking via skype. Just make sure that the volume bar to mic on this mixer is raised.

Also, when checking Alsamixer be sure to hit the tab button s this will allow you to see additional volume/mic settings that do not display in the initial window. Also, make sure that MM's under any of the settings, they should be set to OO. You change change the setting by hitting the M key on your keyboard.

Hope this helps....

BTW... im still not able to get skype to skype texting to work. Keep getting a triangle icon next to each msg that i sent and the recipient tells me that he/she isn't receiving the msg. Any help would be appreciated.

wwaiter

Re: Mic in Skype

#46 Post by wwaiter »

arslan79 wrote:Hello! Could anyone here help me?

I`ve just installed Skype (2.0.0.72). Hardware: Acer aspire one 110. The same Puppy with the same Skype works on laptop HP Compaq 6720s. Also, on this netbook (acer aspire one) with Ubuntu 9.04 Skype works well enoogh. Buil-in microphone works. In Puppy`s Skype the built-im mic doesnt work, I tried to setup devices in Preferences, I tried to setup ALSA Mixer - but I cant make this MIC work ((( Please help!
Some of you with laptops that have built in mic's may experience issues with the mic not working with skype and on puppy linux. In my case, i could hear my puffing on the mic via built in speakers and while off of skype, but when on skype it was not able to pick up the sound... so I knew my mic was working.

First i've tried everything, changing the mic settings on skype, checking the Alsamixer and Zmixer, uninstalling then reinstalling, even trying different versions with no avail. Though it did not work for me, I believe you should do the same and simply check.

Then I downloaded another mixer from Puppy Package Manager called Sgmixer 0.3 and wouldn't you know it, it worked! Now people can hear me talking via skype. Just make sure that the volume bar to mic on this mixer is raised.

Also, when checking Alsamixer be sure to hit the tab button s this will allow you to see additional volume/mic settings that do not display in the initial window. Also, make sure that MM's under any of the settings, they should be set to OO. You change change the setting by hitting the M key on your keyboard.

Hope this helps....

pa_mcclamrock

Re: Mic in Skype

#47 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

wwaiter wrote:I downloaded another mixer from Puppy Package Manager called Sgmixer 0.3 and wouldn't you know it, it worked! Now people can hear me talking via skype.
sGmixer worked for me when others didn't, too. In Puppy 5.0, I'm not seeing it in the Package Manager any more, but I've still got it here: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/sgmixer-0.3.pet.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#48 Post by Flash »

Maybe there are dependency issues or some such. You should mention to Barry that sGmixer works when others don't, Maybe he'll include it.

Ron

#49 Post by Ron »

Iguleder,
I wanted to thank you for the very concise and helpful instructions. It was invaluable and worked right off.
Ron

BTW, this is for lupu 5.1.1

dionisis politis

portable skype

#50 Post by dionisis politis »

http://portablelinuxapps.org/

you can use the above page to download a portable version of skype, right cick it, open properties to make it executable (or from a terminal: chmod +x ), and that's all!
then you can put a symilink to the start application folder to have it launched after booting.
By the way all portable apps work fine with puppy, I have tried a dozen succesfully.

mama21mama

#51 Post by mama21mama »

I have the microphone plugged into the back panel. anda microphone and hear it. But the problem is to zoom in on skype test call I is capturing.

Tengo el micrófono conectado en el panel de atrás. anda el micrófono ya que lo escucho. Pero el problema es la captura, en el test call de skype no me esta capturando.

:s

frefel

Re: portable skype

#52 Post by frefel »

dionisis politis wrote:http://portablelinuxapps.org/

you can use the above page to download a portable version of skype, right cick it, open properties to make it executable (or from a terminal: chmod +x ), and that's all!
then you can put a symilink to the start application folder to have it launched after booting.
By the way all portable apps work fine with puppy, I have tried a dozen succesfully.
I download either Skype or KeePass to computer (PL 4.3.1frugal), move it to the usb stick, make it executable (either by permissions or properties) but when I click on the gear nothing happens. The same if I do all that on the downloaded file before moving it to the usb drive.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

greengeek

#53 Post by greengeek »

Iguleder - thanks for the tutorial. Worked first time.

I run puppy 4.3.1 on a Toshiba TE2100 laptop.

It has no internal mic so I had to plug in an external one, but found that the three different mics I tried had MASSIVE differences in output (even though they all are standard "computer multimedia headset" types).

Only one of them proved to be satisfactory, and even then I had to switch on the mic boost in Alsa.

(took a while to discover that the MM icon for the boost is toggled by using the "M" key, not the spacebar).

Works with excellent clarity.

killylun

#54 Post by killylun »

hey, using Lucid 5.2.8 on a new hp netbook, booting/running off of usb. i installed skype in the manner described in this thread and it worked fine(in /mnt/home rather than /root), but now when i open the program it disappears after about 8 seconds, not even enough time to log-in to skype. no error message, nothing. i don't know what caused it to start doing this. i don't know how to uninstall it either. total n00b here. if someone can tell me how to uninstall it or how to fix the issue that'd be awesome.

muggins

#55 Post by muggins »

Try opening a console, in the skype directory, and run ./skype to see if any errors are generated on the commandline.

killylun

#56 Post by killylun »

thanks for the reply Muggins. this is the message i received:

socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
Aborted

after a quick google search i checked my network settings but didn't see anything regarding ipv4 or ipv6 (the protocols in question, i assume). i'll have to look up some commands to get any further or look in the skype conf files since skype doesnt stay open long enough to check any options. not really sure what i'm doing^^

muggins

#57 Post by muggins »

I'm using version 2.2.0.25(Beta), and have never experienced any probs. Which version do you have?

Edit: I see the latest static version is 2.2.0.35.

killylun

#58 Post by killylun »

i am using the latest static 2.2.0.35. however, i just realized that i have a 64-bit machine (yeah, i'm pretty slow) so i'm going to dump lucid528 for fatdog64-520 asap. then i'll report back with how skype runs on fatdog. thanks for the replies Muggins!

Lenny

Skype on puppy does not start

#59 Post by Lenny »

Hi, im newbie on linux puppy, install Skype on puppy 3.01 like you told on the post, but the skype does not start, i did have all steps and it was on skype dir and put the icon on desktop, but now just dont open the install dialogue.

Thanks

Lenny

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#60 Post by Flash »

Lenny, how did you install Skype? (What instructions did you follow? Can you give us the URL of the post? The URL of a post in this forum is in the little box to the left of the word "Posted:" at the upper left of the post. Right-click on that box and choose "Copy link location." then Paste the result.)