Opera quit working in Puppy 4.3.1

Using applications, configuring, problems
sindi

Opera quit working in Puppy 4.3.1

#1 Post by sindi »

A friend, beginning computer user who I set up with Puppy 4.3.1, reports (via her sister's computer) that Opera (10?) no longer starts, but gives her a black screen with HOME in the left corner (don't know if upper or lower). I suggested using Seamonkey 1 to read her webmail until I can fix Opera

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? The user, who did me a big favor being my first Puppy guinea pig a few years ago, is not familiar with computer terminology so it could conceivably be a terminal window of some kind. I cannot pay a house call because I will be out of town for a week.

I don't recall if I used a Puppy package, or just unpacked Opera in its own directory.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello, sindi.

We'd indeed need as many precisions as possible to solve such a problem.

Best regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

`f00

#3 Post by `f00 »

I'm guessing probably the roxpin barfed (and/or the old wallpaper appdir), that usually presents the symptoms as described if it gets corrupted. Restore from /initrd/pup_ro2 if that's the case (install-type allowing).

Open opera from the menu should work. Series 10 is a winner (unless somehow a 'latest version' update got jumbled in :P )

Consider losing the roxpin altogether if it's not a high priority (pmount for mounting and a nice bg-setter like hsetroot is all you really need if a drag'n'drop desktop isn't desired).

Oh! .. sindi :) .. how's it going, ace?

sindi

opera

#4 Post by sindi »

I have not had time to go there and fix things. I unpacked opera in its own directory rather than installing it. Will update it when I go. Thanks for the suggested solution. Trying to make Youtube work in Opera 11 and 12 first.