pdfedit 0.4.5

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Disco Makberto

#21 Post by Disco Makberto »

Hi again, disciple!

>Oh, maybe I have seen pdfs like that. They certainly aren't common.

And search indexes are indeed useful when the pages are approaching ten or more than ten, I would say. However, in the case of a few pages such as mine (two to four), I think it is rather a nuisance.

>I suspect using anything like Pdfshuffler would remove it automatically.

Do you have any idea about how? And by automatic, you mean after re-saving it?

>But have you tried the "flatten" feature in pdfedit?

I installed PDFEdit, but it didn't work. I was also able to install PDF Chain, and again, I could not find a way.

At this point, I was sort of depressed because I didn't want to come back to Windows for this task as I don't like Windows, not to mention that my Windows is not working as it should. Then, I installed Xournal, tried it, and...voila! I was successful! Yaa-hoo! I just needed to open a PDF with a search index in Xournal and then "export to PDF" (re-save it). For some reason, Xournal opens a PDF with a search index as plain PDF (no search index), so it was just a matter of re-saving it.

I hope this helps.

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

disciple

#22 Post by disciple »

Disco Makberto wrote:Hi again, disciple!

>Oh, maybe I have seen pdfs like that. They certainly aren't common.

And search indexes are indeed useful when the pages are approaching ten or more than ten, I would say.
Is it more useful than the Ctrl-Shift-F search bar in Adobe reader, that most people don't know about?
>I suspect using anything like Pdfshuffler would remove it automatically.

Do you have any idea about how? And by automatic, you mean after re-saving it?
Yes.
>But have you tried the "flatten" feature in pdfedit?

I installed PDFEdit, but it didn't work.
Oh.
At this point, I was sort of depressed because I didn't want to come back to Windows for this task as I don't like Windows, not to mention that my Windows is not working as it should. Then, I installed Xournal, tried it, and...voila! I was successful! Yaa-hoo! I just needed to open a PDF with a search index in Xournal and then "export to PDF" (re-save it). For some reason, Xournal opens a PDF with a search index as plain PDF (no search index), so it was just a matter of re-saving it.
Well, it's not that it opens it as a plain PDF. Xournal isn't a true PDF editor - it exports a completely new PDF. And the search index is a proprietary Adobe feature than nothing else knows how to create, so you would have got the same result by importing into anything else that can import PDFs (e.g. openoffice or inkscape maybe) and exporting.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Disco Makberto

#23 Post by Disco Makberto »

Re: Search index

>Is it more useful than the Ctrl-Shift-F search bar in Adobe reader, that most >people don't know about?

I don't know. I haven't tried that.

Re: Xournal

>Well, it's not that it opens it as a plain PDF. Xournal isn't a true PDF editor >it exports a completely new PDF.

Yes, I was thinking in those lines.

>And the search index is a proprietary Adobe feature than nothing else >knows how to create,

Well, in that case, I think that Abobe licenses it because I know of some tools that can create a search index on a PDF file.

>so you would have got the same result by importing into anything else that >can import PDFs (e.g. openoffice or inkscape maybe) and exporting.

I think you could be right, but I am happy with Xournal.

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

Fleabag

#24 Post by Fleabag »

Successfully installed on Slacko 5.3.3 using pdfedit 4.5 pet and libqt pet. It won't open a pdf, but terminates.

muggins

#25 Post by muggins »

It won't open a pdf, but terminates
On fatslacko works for me. If you open a console, and run pdfedit on the commandline, when you try to open a PDF, what error is given?

Fleabag

#26 Post by Fleabag »

Thanks Muggins, I don't know what the difficulty was, but all seems to be well now. Maybe starting it first in terminal like you suggested. Then there was no problem starting from the start menu after that. Transient indefinite operator error, probably.