Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 19:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Will Net Beans (Java programming IDE) work in Puppy?
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
HoosierDaddy

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 00:29    Post subject:  Will Net Beans (Java programming IDE) work in Puppy?  

Hey guys.. Can I develop on puppy ok with Net Beans IDE? FOr Java or Ruby or ? Especially Java is what I'm after..

Thanks in advance.. Just starting to get into Puppy and love Linux already.. Don't know why I didn't try this years ago..

Thinking of also getting Suse for another PC.. What do you think of it?

Tim
jpeps

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 05:19    Post subject: Re: New to Puppy, but not Windows programming..
Subject description: Will something like Net Beans Java programming work from Sun?

HoosierDaddy wrote:
Hey guys.. Can I develop on puppy ok with Net Beans IDE? FOr Java or Ruby or ? Especially Java is what I'm after..

Thanks in advance.. Just starting to get into Puppy and love Linux already.. Don't know why I didn't try this years ago..

Thinking of also getting Suse for another PC.. What do you think of it?

Tim

I'm using java for my android devices...here, it's mainly gtkdialog and scripting.
HoosierDaddy

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 09:17    Post subject:  

Thank you so much.. Sounds great.. I'm wanting to use a commercial app called "RunRev" which is higher level language, but supposed to be very fast compile and runs fast. Also, works with Windows, Mac, Linux, Server, Web Server, Android and IOS, etc,.. One can subscribe for 20 bucks a month and develop for all of the above, with no royalty fees, etc,..

Tim
jpeps

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:36    Post subject:  

HoosierDaddy wrote:
Thank you so much.. Sounds great.. I'm wanting to use a commercial app called "RunRev" which is higher level language, but supposed to be very fast compile and runs fast. Also, works with Windows, Mac, Linux, Server, Web Server, Android and IOS, etc,.. One can subscribe for 20 bucks a month and develop for all of the above, with no royalty fees, etc,..

Tim

Looks like they want $50/month to get the cross-platform version, which might be worth it for a commercial operation. I'm using eclipse, which is free, and probably better for actually learning Java coding.
jpeps

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012, 12:11    Post subject:  

BTW/ There's an android app called "terminal IDE" that also loads vim editor, etc., so you can do bash/sh scripting on your device.
TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012, 14:07    Post subject:  

I started maintaining some NetBeans packages a while ago when my brother and mother both decided to take some Java courses (my brother used Puppy at the time). I don't know what all they did for those courses, and I don't develop any Java code myself, but they didn't complain once it was set up for them.

forum thread
page on my website

And for the JDK, which you'll also need:
forum thread
page on my website
jpeps

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep 2012, 05:58    Post subject:  

Very exciting development (there's hundreds of thousands of great apps..not to mention great programming tools for creating your own).

"With the news that the Linux kernel is going to see Android compatibility, there has been a growing sense that Android apps will be finding themselves at home on the Linux desktop."

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/android-apps-in-linux-changes-everything-1.html
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Jump to: