Will Net Beans (Java programming IDE) work in Puppy?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
HoosierDaddy

Will Net Beans (Java programming IDE) work in Puppy?

#1 Post by HoosierDaddy »

Hey guys.. Can I develop on puppy ok with Net Beans IDE? FOr Java or Ruby or ? Especially Java is what I'm after..

Thanks in advance.. Just starting to get into Puppy and love Linux already.. Don't know why I didn't try this years ago..

Thinking of also getting Suse for another PC.. What do you think of it?

Tim

jpeps

Re: New to Puppy, but not Windows programming..

#2 Post by jpeps »

HoosierDaddy wrote:Hey guys.. Can I develop on puppy ok with Net Beans IDE? FOr Java or Ruby or ? Especially Java is what I'm after..

Thanks in advance.. Just starting to get into Puppy and love Linux already.. Don't know why I didn't try this years ago..

Thinking of also getting Suse for another PC.. What do you think of it?

Tim
I'm using java for my android devices...here, it's mainly gtkdialog and scripting.

HoosierDaddy

#3 Post by HoosierDaddy »

Thank you so much.. Sounds great.. I'm wanting to use a commercial app called "RunRev" which is higher level language, but supposed to be very fast compile and runs fast. Also, works with Windows, Mac, Linux, Server, Web Server, Android and IOS, etc,.. One can subscribe for 20 bucks a month and develop for all of the above, with no royalty fees, etc,..

Tim

jpeps

#4 Post by jpeps »

HoosierDaddy wrote:Thank you so much.. Sounds great.. I'm wanting to use a commercial app called "RunRev" which is higher level language, but supposed to be very fast compile and runs fast. Also, works with Windows, Mac, Linux, Server, Web Server, Android and IOS, etc,.. One can subscribe for 20 bucks a month and develop for all of the above, with no royalty fees, etc,..

Tim
Looks like they want $50/month to get the cross-platform version, which might be worth it for a commercial operation. I'm using eclipse, which is free, and probably better for actually learning Java coding.

jpeps

#5 Post by jpeps »

BTW/ There's an android app called "terminal IDE" that also loads vim editor, etc., so you can do bash/sh scripting on your device.

TheAsterisk!

#6 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I started maintaining some NetBeans packages a while ago when my brother and mother both decided to take some Java courses (my brother used Puppy at the time). I don't know what all they did for those courses, and I don't develop any Java code myself, but they didn't complain once it was set up for them.

forum thread
page on my website

And for the JDK, which you'll also need:
forum thread
page on my website

jpeps

#7 Post by jpeps »

Very exciting development (there's hundreds of thousands of great apps..not to mention great programming tools for creating your own).

"With the news that the Linux kernel is going to see Android compatibility, there has been a growing sense that Android apps will be finding themselves at home on the Linux desktop."

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/a ... ing-1.html