Which Puppy should I choose?

Using applications, configuring, problems
starhawk

#21 Post by starhawk »

^By "trying" I meant "downloading" :oops: Posting from within it now, and I am quite impressed.

...a few issues. This particular puplet is originally French and the locale information does not transfer over to English cleanly -- SlickPet still has a French entry in the menu, for example. The "Classic" Network Setup (aka Barry's / Dougal's / Complex Network Setup) is completely broken; a file is missing. The Frisbee option in the Connect Wizard asks to install a pet for what appears to be the latest beta.

Also (about to test this issue in this puplet, will edit this post with the results) when I install ImageMagick from the Pet I found (mentioned earlier in this thread) and then Xara Xtreme, Xara does NOT detect ImageMagick's various files, even though the version requirement is met (Xara needs ImageMagick 6.* or higher). This is a problem because it disables certain features. Can someone provide a more recent PET that is "known good" for Slacko 5.3.3?

I will probably be reporting that behavior as a bug to the Xara team... but I'm concerned that they may say "hey, that's a problem with your distro, go talk to those people" and refuse to help -- which would be very bad.

starhawk

#22 Post by starhawk »

Lobster wrote:[snip]
Your safest bet is probably the sfs here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/XaraXtreme
[snip]
Just now clicked that link. According to the Xara Xtreme website (my OP) that is the latest / beta / "unstable" version.

If there's a PET or SFS of Xara Xtreme 0.7 beta rev.1692, that would be the /stable/ version. Aw heck, I'll try both, since I just downloaded the stable as a tarball...

EDIT: nevermind! The beta/"unstable" version appears to work quite nicely. At least, it recognizes ImageMagick (or simply does not display the error, I'm not sure) -- the "stable" version is completely broken and does not run properly.

canbyte

#23 Post by canbyte »

Just wanted to thank all for this thread and whoever made the pet in that link (didn't need the sfs or anything else). Fast download and installation - 'just worked'. Congrats Slacko 533. Don't know if i will install on my regular puppy - it's too easy to just start with a fresh puppy off cd, download the package again and start using it. Don't really have a need at the moment but couldn't resist trying it out. Very intuitive if one is familiar with Corel and that type of drawing (can't recall the name - vector? ). I remember the first time I saw it - drove me nuts (was used to Autocad) until a kind soul explained it.
Thanks again.
[color=orange]1. Dell Dimension E521, AMD Athln 64, 2 GHz 1.93GB ram,
Puppy 533 on CD, accesses flash drive only,
FFox Nightly12.0
2. Compaq P3 733Hz 375RAM
Printer: Oki C3400 > LAN [/color]