Puppy on a lap top? Hardware requirements? Work on older PC?

Booting, installing, newbie
Burn_IT

#21 Post by Burn_IT »

May I ask how you did this?
I partitioned my disk - as you have. Formatted the second partition as Fat32 for Puppy - and for use as a separate data disk for Windows.
I then installed Grub4Dos to the disk boot sector (this was long before I used the second Boot manager) and put the menu.lst on the Fat32 Partition (Grub searches for it on all attached devices which can cause interesting effects if it finds a different one first)

I then installed Frugal Puppy on the second partition and added it to the menu.lst .

I have added several other Puppies as well and keep them apart by adding to different folders.

I've also got loads of other stuff like Hiren's CD and some other tools installed on that partition and accessed through Grub.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

rjbrewer

#22 Post by rjbrewer »

I have Win7 ultimate running dual boot with Puppies.
Used Grub Legacy on the mbr to boot.

The first thing I did was use Win7 to burn a repair disc to cd.
Next I used Win7 to create a backup image to an external
drive.
The image is 12G in size and can be crucial if you don't have
an original install disc.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

HoosierDaddy

Re: testing

#23 Post by HoosierDaddy »

Hi 2Cents.
Thanks, I think that's what I'll do.. I was kinda in a hurry, but I need to slow down anyway.. I have too much to do..

Yeah, I was trying to say ealier that I have to have a copy of Windows OS so that I can continue to work with VB.Net and ASP.Net, and SQL server, etc,.. Sorry if I wasn't clear..

I havn't used Access in so long. Since especially you can get a free version of SQL server compact that has the SQL engine and is as easy to work with as Access. It just doesn't do macro's, but I always used code to do anything I coudn't do with the GUI..

The main reason I want to use Puppy or LInux is because I want to work with Linux to write / developp for it, and for Android.. with RunRev, Java, etc,.. and PHP mySQL, etc,.. I could do it on Windows, but I also want Puppy because it's so stable, etc,..

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it..
Tim
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minnesota wrote:MY 2 cents:

Puppy comes in manry flavors. Some with tons of software included, some bare bones. Also other flavors as you mentioned are available.

I highly suggest till you are more familiar with all the goodies in Puppy. That you make CD's and run Live. First test each version without a save if you wish. Or save the save file to a memory stick. Or the blank partition you built.

My search of the computer you have indicates you have a optical drive DVD+/-RW. Pick up a package of CD's. The cost is minimal. You can if you want use the option to save to the CD. One fancy feature of Puppy.

THE key here is become familiar with different versions and do not worry about immediately saving to the hard drive. You will find the speed difference between running from the hard drive and the CD is not that significant. You can always have a cup of coffee while it is reading the CD and initializing. Once running in memory it will run just as fast.

By the time you find a version you like you will have more knowledge of how to set it up. And the options available to you.

Unless you have to save, you might even be able to test your special design package with each version to see if it will run. As to VB.. that is a MS package. Don't think anything similar exists in Linux. Unfortunately neither is there an ACCESSS. Many Puppy's have a flavor of SQL lite. Even though the latest Wine indicates it will run all of O-2010. Have not tried to load Access. Speaking of that it might be possible to run your special package under Wine. Check www.winehq.org/ for what is known to run under wine.

Sky Aisling

#24 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello HoosierDaddy and welcome to the forum, :D

I encourage you to consider Minnesota's suggestions:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 567#649567

And,...remember the KISS principle. :wink: