Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
01micko

#421 Post by 01micko »

rjbrewer wrote:Yes; 01micko , I had cards 0, 1, and 2, saying intel, fbev, and vesa.
I just changed the vesa one.
Yeah, thought as much, we need to refine "report-video'. I think the others are there just as fall backs. The command that creates that is "Xorg --configure". The xorg devs have changed how that works recently.

If glxgears is running good with that vblank variable set to 0 then for sure intel is being used.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#422 Post by James C »

5.2.72 live pfix=ram on an old P4 test box. Sound,internet and display working and correct on initial boot.

# report-video
Precise Puppy, version 5.2.72 on Thu 30 Aug 2012

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller
Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
oem: Intel(r)865G Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)865G Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: intel

X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#

# glxgears
178 frames in 5.0 seconds = 35.593 FPS
187 frames in 5.0 seconds = 37.312 FPS
194 frames in 5.0 seconds = 38.674 FPS
193 frames in 5.0 seconds = 38.494 FPS
197 frames in 5.0 seconds = 39.219 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 512MB (147MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu 30 Aug 2012 06:02:46 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on softpipe
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
Version : 1.11.3
-Monitors-
Monitor 0 : 1024x768 pixels

-OpenGL-
Vendor : VMware, Inc.
Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on softpipe
Version : 3.0 Mesa 8.0.3
Direct Rendering : Yes

Billtoo

Precise Puppy beta4, August 30, 2012

#423 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to an 8gb flash drive plugged into an hp
pavilion a6220n desktop pc.

Precise Puppy, version 5.2.73 on Thu 30 Aug 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
NVIDIA Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GT216 Board - 0682vb12 Chip Rev

OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GT 220/PCIe/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.43
Direct Rendering Yes

I installed kdegames with ppm, it needed a dependency but when I
installed a qt-482 pet it worked.
Setting up the nvidia graphics was easier than in an earlier bets,
just one reboot.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(90.34 KiB) Downloaded 1751 times

shinobar

gimp-2.8.2-1-presice.sfs

#424 Post by shinobar »

feelsub wrote:Bug: Gimp 2.8.x or LibreOffice installs correctly, but at run I get a :
Opening '/root/%U' failed: No such file or directory
gimp-2.8.2-1-precise.sfs is available.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/precise/
Based on the gimp scabz compiled.
Fix: desktop launcher
Add: ROX-Filer MIME settings, OpenWith
Contains DEV files, DOCs, all NLS
Last edited by shinobar on Fri 31 Aug 2012, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

shinobar

nvidia driver

#425 Post by shinobar »

nvidia-glx-304.43-k3.2.28.sfs is available.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/precise/
Works on Puppy precise beta4 5.2.71 and 73, but does not with 5.2.72.
Made by the getnvidia-0.7.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405

Usage:
1. Boot presice beta4(exept 72) with boot parameter 'puppy pfix=nox'.
2. Run 'xorgwizard', choose 'vesa'.
3. 'xwin' to get graphical desktop.
4. Click the nvidia-glx-304.43-k3.2.28.sfs and choose 'Install'.
5. Skip the launcher 'Nvidia config'.
6. Run 'xorgwizard', choose 'probe'.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

feelsub

#426 Post by feelsub »

f the gimp 2.8.2 i post is the one you installed it should not have the Opening '/root/%U' failed: No such file or directory problem, i always fix that, it is in the .desktop file located at /usr/share/applications/gimp.desktop , where it say Exec=gimp-2.8 %U remove the "%U"
Well works, but I haven't found GIMP 2.8.2 in PPM(ubuntu-precise-main, multiuniverse, puppy-precise-official, puppy-noarch-official) only 2.6.12.

Indeed the change works, but still PPM misses basic impage editor, and packages I spoke off.[/code]

mrokosz

Thanks

#427 Post by mrokosz »

Everythings works a OK so far. Please set a repository with apps tested for precise puppy, like You have for the other puppies flavors. It makes much easier to customize, instead of browsing forums and colecting all the goodies.

scabz

#428 Post by scabz »

still on beta3 i have everything set up for me and is working well besides my hp psc 1410v printer, it is not in cups list. so i went over to http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html and downloaded the source and compiled. here is the pet i made it works great for me hplip-3.12.6-i686.pet DEV, DOC and NLS are all in my repo http://www.mediafire.com/?mpv88jj3bp0m3
the hplip.desktop in the menus does not work it needs Qt, python and some other python stuff for it to work but none of that is needed to print through cups.

rcrsn51

#429 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote:Fresh installation on an ext3 partition. So far everything is working great except that my HP 5280 Photosmart All-in-one scanner is not recognized. hplip_scan-3.12.4.pet is installed.
The problem is with libcrypto. In Wary, it was in /usr/lib and now it's in /lib.

The solution is to delete the symlink /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 created by hplip_scan.

rerwin

#430 Post by rerwin »

bigpup wrote:
01micko wrote:Those having trouble with nouveau (ie nvidia cards) could try puppy pfix=ram nouveau.modeset=0 at CD boot or on the kernel line.
Added nouveau.modeset=0 to end of kernel line.
That fixed it.
Booted to normal desktop and menus.
Still set at 16-bit color depth in xorg.conf
bigpup,
I "took a shot at" an automated setting of mode 0 for the nVidia Quadro FX 330 GeForce PCX 5300 (NV37GL) graphics card, so that you should not have to enter the modeset argument on the kernel line. This is the same technique I used in lucid pup for the Brookdales.

Could you try the attached package without using the kernel argument, to see if it takes care of the screen problem and does not cause any other problem?

Just in case I guessed wrong about the hardware IDs, could you post or PM the output of "lspci -nn" (the part for the graphics card) and "grep '10de' /tmp/udevtrace.log"?

And anyone else with an nVidia card that needs mode 0: please report the above "outputs", so I can add the card to the package. TIA
Richard
Attachments
auto-modeset-1.pet
Sets mode 0 for certain nVidia graphics cards.
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 31 Aug 2012, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Here more insight as what is occuring at First boot f/setup

#431 Post by gcmartin »

This post is specific to QuickSET-FirstRUN processing in Beta4 from a user point of view

I reported earlier that I "thought", because of external observation, that QuickSET-FirstRUN was an older version and later reported that in Precise beta4 that the issue was resolved.

Well, I want to provide additional information and ask why the phenomenon occurs.

Observation
There are 2 different situation involving 2 different systems, a 32bit with single LAN adapter on MB and a 64bit system with dual LAN adapters on the MB
I "raced" the 2 system in a PXE booting scenario. The 64bit went to desktop in less than 40 secs while the 32bit took at least 1.5 min.
Once at desktop, QuickSet on the 64bit DOES NOT HAVE THE LAN information and on the 32bit Quickset has the LAN information portion of the screen.

Another test shows that should I boot a laptop with an ethernet cable plugged in, I will get the network section of the QuickSet Utility. But, if I boot without ethernet cable, it will not get a Network section in QuickSet.

That best describes the problem and I need some guidance to provide Barry with enough information to assist development in a resolution.
And, I can understand why Barry reply to this issue was one of awe.

Additional system informattion
  • 32bit - has a single LAN adapter on MB. At desktop, it has already gotten its IP address from DHCP.
  • 64bit - has double LAN adapaters on MB. At desktop, it has NOT gotten its IP address from DHCP. Further, there is NO cable in adapter0 while there is a cable in adpater1.
  • Laptop - No ethernet cable plugged in. it has NOT gotten its IP address from DHCP. Again, there is NO cable in adapter0.
I think it appears obvious of what is wrong and how it might be alleviated.

I think I had assumed (probably incorrectly) that the Networking section would appear "No Matter What" especially since each system has LAN ability. But, maybe that ,still, may be the intent and there is a simple processing error in QuickSET.

Help
I had planned to demo this beta4 over PXE this weekend, but, will probably have to wait on this.
Any guidance or explanaton to what is occurring and why would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any understanding

drblock2

nouveau and nvidia

#432 Post by drblock2 »

@0micko nouveau.modeset=0 in the kernel line boots into vesa. Simplest solution yet!

But, the main problem with the FX 5200 card remains. I have tested 5.2.7.71-73 with the same results. The nvidia-173 driver compiles successfully, but X will not start. Installing the nvidia-71 driver over it allows a retreat to vesa, but once nvidia-71 is selected in xorgwizard, X again refuses to start and retreat to vesa is impossible.

This is a problem that I have never had with other puplets. In recent Slakos, where nouveau was also the problem, removing it allowed successful installation of the nvidia-173 and X started without a problem.

Over the weekend, I will experiment with my ThinkPad R60 equipped with the ATI Mobility Radeon X 1400 graphics chip from hell which has caused me untold grief even with Windows XP for which it was designed. On that machine, I've given up on hardware acceleration and have been running my puplets in vesa, which usually fulfills my simple needs.

bigpup

#433 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote:@bigpup

How did you try to get vesa to work? In my xorgwizard test on my old vanta card it worked as expected, nouveau_unload works then you reboot, boots to a vesa desktop. I do realise it would be impossible to run xorgwizard from gui in your situation with garbled menus, but what about from prompt? If you get time can you test please? If it doesn't work then the nouveau_unload script may have a logic flaw, it is supposed to work outside of X too, and has for me. You can see why these things need to be documented as "known issues" in the release notes because it will be awhile before every video card works perfectly! (if ever, any *nix).
Booted and got messed up desktop/menus
Exit to prompt (Clicked where entry should be on menu, but not visable)
Run Xorgwizard
Choose Vesa driver
Set resolution
Did test
The test did not work like normal. Took long time, acted like it was hung, and finally got to only the info screen showing driver Vesa and no other info.
Back at prompt typed xwin
Failed to start just went back to prompt.
Did a reboot
Now it booted to a working desktop using Vesa driver.

I gues it was me not doing a reboot after Xorgwizard apeared to not work properly. The test function sure looked like things did not get properly set.
I did it like most people.
Who needs to read directions. :shock:

The nouveau.modeset=0 in the kernel line does boot to using Vesa driver.

rerwin
I will work on your request now.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

sszindian

5.2.73 (Bata 4)

#434 Post by sszindian »

Back on page-22 of this thread, I posted that I could NOT configure WiFi with 5.2.69 (Bata 3) and what I had tried...

Now with 5.2.73 it's the same problem?

And... 5.2.60 still runs WiFi like a little Swiss-Clock, on same machine, no changes! Just boggles one's mind?

EDIT: Perhaps someone should take a look at-

pemasu's Wheezy 3.5.2.1 SNS setup... it looks exactly like the one in Precise but... I was able to setup WiFi in Wheezy in less than a minute without a problem!!!

>>>---Indian------>
Last edited by sszindian on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#435 Post by Lobster »

Using beta 4

graphics OK :D
I have two sound cards installed or recognized
One is the Nvidia and the other a dedicated PCI.

When I booted up this morning the sound was off and the mp4 player not working - que?

There was a cross by the sound icon bottom right (yesterday I was using Iplayer - so it was OK) OK turned it back on.
No volume could not up it . . .
Retrovol it was up - but not on the icon bottom right . . . m m m . . .

Just for fun tried a flash youtube video
working . . . sound OK

Now yesterday when I got Iplayer to work - it did tell me to reboot when I set up the sound (having two sound cards is not always liked) but as it was working I did not bother :roll:

. . . just reporting in :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

bigpup

#436 Post by bigpup »

rerwin wrote:
bigpup wrote:
01micko wrote:Those having trouble with nouveau (ie nvidia cards) could try puppy pfix=ram nouveau.modeset=0 at CD boot or on the kernel line.
Added nouveau.modeset=0 to end of kernel line.
That fixed it.
Booted to normal desktop and menus.
Still set at 16-bit color depth in xorg.conf
bigpup,
I "took a shot at" an automated setting of mode 0 for the nVidia Quadro FX 330 GeForce PCX 5300 (NV37GL) graphics card, so that you should not have to enter the modeset argument on the kernel line. This is the same technique I used in lucid pup for the Brookdales.

Could you try the attached package without using the kernel argument, to see if it takes care of the screen problem and does not cause any other problem?

Just in case I guessed wrong about the hardware IDs, could you post or PM the output of "lspci -nn" (the part for the graphics card) and "grep '10de' /tmp/udevtrace.log"?
Richard
Frugal install with save file.
The pet does not work for me, but I may be using it wrong.
I got back to using nouveau driver.
Installed pet.
Rebooted.
Boots to point of running X server and stops with blinking line top left of screen.
Am I doing it right?

Output of:
lspci -nn:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation NV37GL [Quadro PCI-E Series] [10de:00fd] (rev a2)

sh-4.1# grep '10de' /tmp/udevtrace.log
add_0000:01:00.0_pci_0x10de_0x00fd_pci:v000010DEd000000FDsv000010DEsd00000215bc03sc00i00
sh-4.1#
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

BHINTZ

suspend/resume

#437 Post by BHINTZ »

yr1945, I appreciate your response, but I have exhausted my limited skills searching for the pets you reference.

Now I need some guidance to find them.

bob

rerwin

function4puppy4 corrections, take 4

#438 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
I tested forcing ("adding") use of a module that has a firmware package and found the the package still does not get copied into place. That was the major reason I updated functions4puppy4 -- to obtain firmware from a directory instead of a tarball. Here is a corrected version and the related difference file.

Please consider adding this to woof before releasing a precise candidate. Thanks.
Richard
Attachments
diff-functions4puppy4.txt.gz
(796 Bytes) Downloaded 370 times
corrected_functions4puppy4-4.pet
(4.18 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Precise Puppy beta4, August 30, 2012

#439 Post by Billtoo »

I compiled vlc-2.0.3 and qt-4.8.2 in precise puppy.

vlc is about a 12mb download and qt-4.8.2 is about 45mb.

The download link for qt is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-97ac889a.html

The download link for vlc is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-bc2923b8.html
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(76.89 KiB) Downloaded 827 times

yr1945

@BHINTZ... I EDITED MY RESPONSE

#440 Post by yr1945 »

BHINTZ... THE DATA BELOW HAS BEEN EDITED... INITIALLY, I GAVE YOU THE WRONG ACPITOOL... THE ONE BELOW SHOULD WORK...

i have very, very limited knowledge, too...

PupShutdown 1.8.1 is at http://www.smokey01.com/radky/

Acpitool 0.5.1-2-i486 is at http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages-saluki/

that's about all i know on this topic...

good luck... yr1945
Last edited by yr1945 on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 13:35, edited 2 times in total.