Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 13:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Opera quit working in Puppy 4.3.1
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
sindi

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2012, 22:15    Post subject:  Opera quit working in Puppy 4.3.1
Subject description: Black screen with Home icon in left corner is all that's left

A friend, beginning computer user who I set up with Puppy 4.3.1, reports (via her sister's computer) that Opera (10?) no longer starts, but gives her a black screen with HOME in the left corner (don't know if upper or lower). I suggested using Seamonkey 1 to read her webmail until I can fix Opera

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? The user, who did me a big favor being my first Puppy guinea pig a few years ago, is not familiar with computer terminology so it could conceivably be a terminal window of some kind. I cannot pay a house call because I will be out of town for a week.

I don't recall if I used a Puppy package, or just unpacked Opera in its own directory.
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug 2012, 23:30    Post subject:  

Hello, sindi.

We'd indeed need as many precisions as possible to solve such a problem.

Best regards.

`f00

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012, 19:58    Post subject:
Subject description: offhand

I'm guessing probably the roxpin barfed (and/or the old wallpaper appdir), that usually presents the symptoms as described if it gets corrupted. Restore from /initrd/pup_ro2 if that's the case (install-type allowing).

Open opera from the menu should work. Series 10 is a winner (unless somehow a 'latest version' update got jumbled in Razz )

Consider losing the roxpin altogether if it's not a high priority (pmount for mounting and a nice bg-setter like hsetroot is all you really need if a drag'n'drop desktop isn't desired).

Oh! .. sindi Smile .. how's it going, ace?
sindi

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 02:51    Post subject: opera
Subject description: not fixed yet

I have not had time to go there and fix things. I unpacked opera in its own directory rather than installing it. Will update it when I go. Thanks for the suggested solution. Trying to make Youtube work in Opera 11 and 12 first.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: