WEBOS - Are you aware of it and what it does?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
gcmartin

WEBOS - Are you aware of it and what it does?

#1 Post by gcmartin »

Many of you are too young to remember PALM.. Or, maybe you're like me and too old where your memory is faded. But, here's NEWS on the Palm.

PALM's claim to fame was in its building of one of the first multitasking OS for a mobile device. Yes, boys and girls, they, in fact, made a very good one at that. It was called WEBOS.

Well HP bought them years ago and tried its hand before the US economy took down the world. Well, HP has gotten out of the mobile phone business using their purchased mobile OS and are now Open Sourceing it.

See this information. Expect that this could really dent the market should some vendor builds a handset/tablet using this. Its ability to Multitask on a mobile is still unparralleled....at least until MS comes out n the fall.

Regeneration of this directional product would have an impact and would further erode Apple while raising Apple concerns over sueing anyone with a Smart device.

Your thoughts

disciple

Re: WEBOS - Are you aware of it and what it does.

#2 Post by disciple »

gcmartin wrote:Many of you are too young to remember PALM.. Or, maybe you're like me and too old where your memory is faded. But, here's NEWS on the Palm.

PALM's claim to fame was in its building of one of the first multitasking OS for a mobile device. Yes, boys and girls, they, in fact, made a very good one at that. It was called WEBOS.

Well HP bought them years ago and tried its hand before the US economy took down the world. Well, HP has gotten out of the mobile phone business using their purchased mobile OS and are now Open Sourceing it.

See this information. Expect that this could really dent the market should some vendor builds a handset/tablet using this. Its ability to Multitask on a mobile is still unparralleled....
Really? How is it better than the other Linux based systems (from openembedded or wherever) were.
Regeneration of this directional product
Do you mind translating this into english?

"LunaCE."
:)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Aitch

#3 Post by Aitch »

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Disciple. Thanks for that question.

I never said it was better. But, for OSes that exist on today's commercial xPhones,xPads, the PALM's OS (WebOS) did present some advances that have yet to surface in todays OS.

Doesn't mean that the industry in the futrue wont adopt them, but, for now, WebOS does offer good user experience.

Where it will have to play "catch-up" is in the applications that exist for mobiles of today.

BTW, please also understand that bringing this to our attention is so that we are as clear on technology movement to assist understanding and decisions in future.

Here to help

NeroVance

Re: WEBOS - Are you aware of it and what it does?

#5 Post by NeroVance »

gcmartin wrote:PALM's claim to fame was in its building of one of the first multitasking OS for a mobile device. Yes, boys and girls, they, in fact, made a very good one at that. It was called WEBOS.
Don't you mean Palm OS? WebOS is (for the most part) a completely different beast altogether that came out in 2009. I think it even uses a modified Linux Kernel.

kooliepup

#6 Post by kooliepup »

Wasn't it BeOS?

That was a good system.

NeroVance

#7 Post by NeroVance »

kooliepup wrote:Wasn't it BeOS?

That was a good system.
I do remember something about Palm and BeOS. That was good, wish I could have used it more, and better though.

But eh, that's why Haiku was made, for a new (and open) BeOS by people that liked it.

gcmartin

#8 Post by gcmartin »

HP Corp brought the Palm Corp. Then absorbed its development, product, and team for its hand-held platform expectations. They renamed the OS. Then the Financial bust hit, along with upper management shakeup.

Result, hand-held product stopped. Because of the apparent OS advantage when compared against other hand-held OSes, HP kept a candle burning as they further developed the OS and agreed to Open-Source to the community (this appears to have come from the internal HP team appealing to management). Actually

They did a lot of work with the Open-source community, their legal, and fought off some concerns of the world-wide Telcos in features in the WebOS.

The opportunity now is that the community, can (and you didn't hear it from me :wink: ) leap-frog the Telco should they create a radio neural approach to using this OS for LAN and WAN as well as for Phone and PAD use. The Telco cannot scream "Bloody Murder" if the open-source community did this.

Currently Microsoft's hand has been forced by the Telco behavior for even they have been "made" to comply. So to stay ahead they are doing this versus Open sourcing.

The community, the WebOS community, are positioned to race by the Telco...should they too understand this advantage. ("A handheld that is also a full featured LAN based system").

Hope this murky description give enough light for clear understanding.

Here to help

kooliepup

#9 Post by kooliepup »

I do remember something about Palm and BeOS. That was good, wish I could have used it more, and better though.
BeOS became Palm's OS, and stopped being available as BeOS.
It was a bitch to get working on some machines, but was a good OS.

I have just tried Haiku, and I can't get it to work on anything I currently have.
Development on Haiku seems to have stopped.

I may dig out my old copy of BeOS and see if that works on my current machines.

NeroVance

#10 Post by NeroVance »

gcmartin wrote:HP Corp brought the Palm Corp. Then absorbed its development, product, and team for its hand-held platform expectations. They renamed the OS. Then the Financial bust hit, along with upper management shakeup.
Other than this, I pretty much understand most of it. WebOS is not Palm OS, It's actually not unlike Android in that it uses the Linux Kernel (patched though, but still Linux). WebOS likely does have some Palm OS components for compatibility, but to say that make's it PalmOS is like saying Mac OS X is OS 9 due to being able to run classic software.

But WebOS apparently was open sourced, and I think could very well compete with Android if someone knew what to do with it. Android is kinda Organic, therefore seems to lack coherent direction (I'm doing a class on Android Development, and most of what I've learned is how much XML they need for everything.)

But I will admit, It will be amusing to see where Micro$haft goes, because I think that Windows 8 will be hated by everyone.

But that is just my two cents.

disciple

#11 Post by disciple »

kooliepup wrote:It will be amusing to see where Micro$haft goes, because I think that Windows 8 will be hated by everyone.
You mean like Vista and Office 2007? They were so bad even Microsoft figured out how to improve on them...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

NeroVance

#12 Post by NeroVance »

disciple wrote:
kooliepup wrote:It will be amusing to see where Micro$haft goes, because I think that Windows 8 will be hated by everyone.
You mean like Vista and Office 2007? They were so bad even Microsoft figured out how to improve on them...
You mean by making them even worse :wink:?

If they do collapse, I wonder where most will go?

disciple

#13 Post by disciple »

You mean by making them even worse
Yes, I agree that Windows 7 and Office 2010 are worse in some areas, but they also reverted or improved some of the more insane features of Vista and 2007.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

NeroVance

#14 Post by NeroVance »

disciple wrote:
You mean by making them even worse
Yes, I agree that Windows 7 and Office 2010 are worse in some areas, but they also reverted or improved some of the more insane features of Vista and 2007.
That is true, at least it isn't Vista. I do however think that much of what Windows 8 wants to do at it's core, seems terrible. It's turning into Windows Phone for god's sake :evil:.

At least we know a perfect bomb shelter for when Microsoft eventually goes supernovae :wink:

disciple

#15 Post by disciple »

Ooooh, I wasn't saying Windows 8 is better than Vista ;)
Need a laugh? Remember "Better than Vista" (Windows 7)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

NeroVance

#16 Post by NeroVance »

disciple wrote:Ooooh, I wasn't saying Windows 8 is better than Vista ;)
Need a laugh? Remember "Better than Vista" (Windows 7)
:lol: I lol'd.

To be honest, I wonder what impact win8 will have.

gcmartin

We must cast off old taboos and move on

#17 Post by gcmartin »

In my life, I have come to know the difference between functional operational superiority and style. This happens all around us and no one knows it better than vendors.

Window8 is modeling around what you have in your hand. Thanks to Android (Google) and Apple (iPhone/iPad/iPod) they are going to accelerate the revolution away from PCs to something all of us will carry everywhere we go.

I have NEVER been a proponent of one vendor versus another, But, I am a proponent on using those things which makes life easy to implement and use.

The ideas in ;this thread can be helpful in Puppy, generally, if we can help our development community understand how to either bring this hand-held technology into the hands of Puppy (s) or how to migrate the desktop experience to keep PUPPY attractive to new users...even some of the old-line experienced users will find much attractiveness as well.

Our desktop PCs have change considerably since PUppy started. So has hand-help technology.

It has!

James C

#18 Post by James C »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... t-analysis
Frank Gillett, a Forrester analyst, says tablets "will become our primary computing device" because while they aren't the most powerful computing gadgets, "they are the most convenient". He points to longer battery life, always-on capability, handiness for carrying around, and ease of frequent use even if there isn't a flat surface about.

Is that going to kill PCs? No, says Gillett (and you knew that answer already – in general new technologies don't kill off old ones, they just slow them down). "Our casual estimate is that there will be 2bn PCs in use by 2016, despite growing tablet sales. That's because tablets only partially cannibalise PCs. Eventually tablets will slow laptop sales but increase sales of desktop PCs." Why? "Because many people, especially information workers, will still need conventional PCs for any intensely creative work at a desk that requires a large display or significant processing power."
Eventually tablets will slow laptop sales but increase sales of desktop PCs.

gcmartin

#19 Post by gcmartin »

I have seen numbers to the contrary.

Let me share a business model that is being reviewed for a Corp for a strategic plan; Not tactical. They are planning for a new model where employees are issued a hi-powered tablet with a "large" HDMI monitor on the desktop. They are also looking at some minor ergonomic changes to take advantage of this model. The anticipated costs is and resale at end of lease means a cost savings....significant! They are NOT considering PC replacements at the end of the current lease period.

I don't mean to appear to differ as I am not. I am just trying to subtly share what's going on in the technology planning that is occurring. This is happening with signs all around us. Major Vendors (Intel-AMD) are working with Businesses (Dell/HP/IBM/etc) worldwide to address these different models that individual enterprise businesses will use. .

Please don't feel that this means anything more than, we, Puppy community needs to understand how our personal, business, home, office world is changing; and whether we can meet these changes as we progress in Puppy.

Maturity is NOT upgrading existing software. In addition, it must consider how we grow our community and further the growth of Puppy distros by appealing to a growing community of users versus a declining community.

Here to help