Updated Firefox crashes on opening another Firefox.

Using applications, configuring, problems
hjb981

#1 Post by hjb981 »

I run Slacko Puppy Linux 5.3.3 on a Fujitsu Siemens laptop with 1.7 MHz Pentium mobile and 1 GB ram. I downloaded a Firefox 14 pet from here: http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/firefox/

and then updated to Firefox 15 with Firefox's built-in updater. If I run Firefox now, and then try to open another instance of the program (to get a second window running Firefox) the program closes and then starts again.

I have seen sporadic shut-downs of Firefox before on Lucid Puppy, but this is the first time I have been able to find a reproducible way of causing the problem.

Any suggestions?

hjb981

Spontaneous shutdown under Lucid Puppy

#2 Post by hjb981 »

I am now running Lucid Puppy 5.2.8. Firefox suddenly just quit, as I was surfing the web with a few windows and maybe 15 tabs open. When restarting Firefox, all of the windows and tabs restored (the "Well, this is embarrasing"-and-so-on tab with the option of restoring came up upon restart). This is still on the same laptop. The same thing has also happened (with Lucid) on another, stationary, computer. That computer, however, has some kind of hardware problem, since both Windows and Puppy linux freezes completely every now and then on it. As far as I know, the laptop is fine, and it does not freeze.

Does anyone have any ideas for what is going on? Could there be some button combination that I accidentally activate, for example some kind of short-cut to shut Firefox off? Has anyone else experienced something similar?

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

> Does anyone have any ideas for what is going on? Could there be some button combination that I accidentally activate

I don't think I've heard of it affecting Firefox, but I'm not 100% sure:
There is/was a bug that makes Seamonkey crash when you press the INSERT key while posting on this forum (and other places, obviously), depending on the options GTK was compiled with.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Tman

Re: Updated Firefox crashes on opening another Firefox.

#4 Post by Tman »

hjb981 wrote:If I run Firefox now, and then try to open another instance of the program (to get a second window running Firefox) the program closes and then starts again.
A while back, Firefox was buggy and would often freeze. To deal with this, I altered /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to run only one instance of Firefox at a time. Whenever there was a crash, running defaultbrowser would reload Firefox, without the need for the user to type "killall firefox" from the terminal.

You don't need to run multiple instances; you can simply open up more tabs in Firefox, by clicking on the + sign next to a tab, or by middle-clicking on a link (in my case - clicking the scroll wheel) , or pressing CTRL+t.

EDIT: I thought I had adjusted Firefox to run multiple instances, if you launch it from the menu, but it seems that is not the case...I will do that for the upcomping Firefox-15 pet, and maybe I'll modify the older pets while I'm at it.

Tman

#5 Post by Tman »

Okay, I've made the changes to Firefox-14.01 and 15.01.
"defaultbrowser" will run single instances of Firefox, and automatically recover from crashes.

And running Firefox from the menu entry will allow for multiple instances,
of Firefox, but there is no automatic crash recovery with that method.
When a crash ocurs, you can just run "defaultbrowser".

Monsie

#6 Post by Monsie »

hjb981,

See this support page from Mozilla for help with troubleshooting Firefox crashes.

As Tman mentioned, note that Firefox has recently been updated to version 15.01 I haven't found the release notes yet, so do not know what fixes have been addressed.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.