ctwm

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
`f00

ctwm

#1 Post by `f00 »

Ctwm is a light wm based on twm. Added features are mainly virtual desktops and a few other refinements.

Official webpage

I've done a recent compile in racy 5.3 (kernel 3.0.25) and added some items from the devx so it should stand alone on recent pups - no guarantees but I'd be interested to hear if it works in other 5xx versions besides racy (wary possibly but no idea about lucid, slacko and such).

Of course some extras in the package (custom rc and so on) besides the bare necessities.

If you want a full pup-menu or launchers, there's various add-ons available. Personally I like aemenu short pkg in this post and yeahlaunch dotpet (or you can nick it out of my yeahwm/yeahconsole/etc pkg) which can be combined for a light, convenient dropdown setup. wbar and conky work well also.

fairly recent caplink @387k

___update 120919___
added ctwm-sample package (more functionality, etc), some editing or syms directly to /usr/X11R7/../images dir may be needed for bg/tiles :) - also consider f.squeeze (it acts on a window as the more commonly known 'shade') in a bind somewhere..

___addenda 120928___
pkg° (with update/sample) works well in precise 5.3.95 pup. A nice feature of this wm is the 'occupy' selector for selective 'pin'-ing of windows to various desktops (mid-click on the left titlebar button, and also in the windowops menu).

° - actually I merely did a copyover from racy to precise so I didn't find out the following until later..

___addenda 121009___
fixed ctwm-3.8a-plus.tar.gz (it was missing the devx items and a few others so the size is now 787k, previously it was 593k) .. my apologies to the 25 people who dl'd the original (it may have worked in some cases if they already had the missing items), I just became aware of the missing stuff when I tried the original package in wary 5.14 :oops:
Attachments
ctwm-sample.tar.gz
updated ctwmrc, multifunction titlebar buttons, a bg and a few tiles..
(188.13 KiB) Downloaded 519 times

ariel

#2 Post by ariel »

I like this wm :D It works fine on racy.

I tried to compile it myself with no luck. could you post instructions on the compile procedure? I'd like to have a version of ctwm with USE_SOUND flag turned on to add sound events.

thanks in advance

`f00

#3 Post by `f00 »

hi ariel

Here's a pkg of how I did the compile (with original summary, howdone, edited Imakefile.local and copy of README). For USE_SOUND you need to define it and have librplay present.

Also (if you're making your own package) you may want to add DESTDIR=<whatever> in the middle of the make install line and add a few items from the devx for it to be more functional in pups without devx support.

hth
Attachments
compilenotes.tar.gz
a few things
(3.24 KiB) Downloaded 374 times

ariel

#4 Post by ariel »

hi `f00

thanks. with your Imakefile.local the wm compiled well.

As for the USE_SOUND flag you have told that I need librplay. well, I must find it somewhere. But even with those libraries it doesn't seem a straightforward compile. we will see... for now many thanks :D

ariel

#5 Post by ariel »

I've got rplay libraries for racy. Apparently the compile process went well but I only got a dektop that beeps when I do something incorrectly. It seems that the .ctwm-sounds is not read. I upload rplay libraries here in case someone would give it o go and has more luck than me :(