[Discontinued] Puppy Slacko, Gnome 2.32

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Ray MK

#81 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Jejy69

Just booted Precise Puppy with Gnome 2.32.1 and first impressions are very good.
In fact - outstanding.

Shame about the origional JWM and background showing initially - but what a nice surprise when Gnome 2.32 shows.

Easy to setup touchpad first - then use SNS to setup wifi - here I am - nice.

So far all seems to work as expected.

Ram and CPU usage roughly normal - Temp very slightly higher than normal.
edit: Ram and CPU usage is up a little bit - but still ok.

This is all on my ram challenged, 10yr old Acer laptop.

Fantastic Puppy - Much appreciated - very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

starhawk

#82 Post by starhawk »

@James C -- run the Classic Network Wizard (or try to) and it will bomb -- you won't see anything show up unless you go to Terminal and type in "net-setup.sh" which is the corresponding file.

...but it does bomb, alright!

SNS works fine. It's just that I (used to) prefer Classic. Although, now that I've tried SNS, I think I like it a little better, since there are far fewer steps to go through to make it work.

starhawk

#83 Post by starhawk »

...one more bug... if you could just do a patch for this, jejy69, that would be great.

Seems that unmounting a drive closes all active windows... not very good behavior, that.

EDIT: oh, and while you're at it... can you tell me what file contains the names of the mint-menu menu entries? I'd like to change the French over on a permanent basis and it doesn't seem to be working through simpler methods...

Jejy69

#84 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

Ray MK : Thanks for your impression, for the temp, maybe it is caused by PAE kernel ? I don't know... :?

starhawk :
Unmount drive issue : I can't fix that... :x Nautilus doesn't support very well Pup-Volume-Monitor. Nautilus uses Udisk normally.
You can edit entries in /usr/share/desktop-directories.

James C : Thanks for your report ! :)

starhawk

#85 Post by starhawk »

OK, I'll see what I can do with the menu, as mentioned.

...I may give technosaurus a PM regarding the Nautilus issue. Dunno if he'll be able to help, tho.

EDIT: technosaurus, you have a PM about this.

starhawk

#86 Post by starhawk »

Technosaurus was able to help. Here's what he said...
I honestly never use nautilus or gnome proper, but I would imagine that it relates to the issues that I had compiling abiword ... Puppy's glib (and gio/gmodule) is built without dbus or _gvfs_ ... I would suggest rebuilding latest glib 2.28.X and gtk-2.24.X (with debug set to minimum not disabled - to prevent the insert key bug in mozilla based browsers)... IIRC gvfs is a circular dependency, so it may need to be built and rebuilt - dbus has an alternative called nobus on github and akashrawal made a standalone alternative to gvfs that jemimah is using in saluki
...later in the PM discussion we were able to determine that I could simply install libs from the slackware (not slacko puppy!) repository and that this would probably work.

...it did! The libs I installed are:
dbus-1.4.1-i486-1.txz
dbus-glib-0.88-i486-1.txz
glibc-2.13-i486-4.txz
glibc-solibs-2.13-i486-4.txz
gvfs-1.6.7-i486-2sl.txz

There is a definite difference in behavior here -- namely, Nautilus itself closes upon unmounting a partition or drive, but it does not close all other applications, nor does it produce an icon-less desktop. I would call this a fix.

I've uploaded the *.txz files, as a single *.tar.gz, to datafilehost (I'm pretty sure that the tarball is a little large for the forum attachments widget). Here's the link --> http://www.datafilehost.com/download-09d4a5c3.html

EDIT: not a fix. emptied trash on my flash drive, and presto! crashed. :(
Last edited by starhawk on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#87 Post by starhawk »

Er... jejy69, I'm looking at /usr/share/desktop-directories, and it's not what I'm looking for.

It looks to me like mintMenu somehow generates a file (or set of files) somewhere of menu contents -- what is actually listed in the Favorites and All Applications menus. I want to alter the file(s) that contain the information for those two menus. Unfortunately, I cannot find such a file or set of files. Can you direct me to them? or am I misunderstanding how mintMenu works?

Jejy69

#88 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

Sorry, I am late..
Thanks to try to fix it, unfortunately, I get the same error.
I already updated some libs in this gnome.
glib 2.28 and GVFS 1.8
I will continue to look. :wink:

MintMenu : You can edit Favorites applications with right click, for applications menu... Hmm... I will look too... :oops:

starhawk

#89 Post by starhawk »

Right-click works, setting in the mintMenu edit program works, but those changes disappear upon remaster.

I want to edit the files directly if that is at all possible, so that when I do a remaster, the edits will "stick".

Jejy69

#90 Post by Jejy69 »

It's saved in /root/.config or /root/.local or /root/.mintmenu, I don't remember. :?:

starhawk

#91 Post by starhawk »

Ah, the one folder in which I did not look :?

That will be rectified later. I have a visit with a friend today, and I must prepare...

TLM

#92 Post by TLM »

Hi Jejy69,
Fantastic work on all of your puplets! I was wondering if you could get the temperature monitoring applet to work for either you gnome or mate creations? It is usually referred to as either Computer Temperature or Sensors Applet in ubuntu.

Pelo

Abiword 3.0.0 GTK3 (puppy-gnome 2.32.1)

#93 Post by Pelo »

Abiword 3.0.0 GTK3 : replace the old Abiword in the distro would be fine, won't it ?
(puppy-gnome 2.32.1) Jejy69 perhaps got married, et alors, his Puppy gnome was hosted by new developers.
At home, this distro is still alive.
Jejy devrait comprendre le catalan...
Abiword 3.0.0 GTK3: reemplaçar el vell Abiword a la distro estaria bé, won'nt ell?
(puppy-gnome 2.32.1) Jejy69 potser es va casar, et alors, el seu gnome Cadell va ser organitzada pels nous desenvolupadors.
A casa, aquesta distro està encara viu.
Attachments
puppy-gnome-2321.jpg
useful for learning spanish in Ubuntu-like desktop
(46.2 KiB) Downloaded 450 times

kerl

#94 Post by kerl »

Hi,
I've noticed that programs made with mono like old gnome desktop.
Is there a Puppy based on Gnome2 still being maintained?

musher0

#95 Post by musher0 »

kerl wrote:Hi,
(...)
Is there a Puppy based on Gnome2 still being maintained?
Hi kerl.

Not exactly. jejy69 was briefly back in late August of this year and left
us a Mate-1.14 sfs. Please see here

As you may know, Mate is a fork of Gnome2. Looks like its twin!

This Mate-1.14 sfs runs very nicely on a Slacko-6.3 or Slim-6 base.

IHTH
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

kerl

#96 Post by kerl »

Thanks musher0 !!
I'll try some more mono apps to see if this old gnome puppy and also the mate sfs for modern slackos provide enough babananas for them

Btw could you show me some tutorials to make my ow sfs-addons?
I've read it's a cool thing to avoid remastring and keep your puppy "young" (botoxified)

musher0

#97 Post by musher0 »

Hi kerl.

Since such a tutorial isn't on topic, I've create a thread for it, here.

As well, sfs creation is general in nature, so it might interest other users.

See you there!

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)