Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

#541 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:I had no problem switching to 24 bit colours using xorgwizard in beta5. I chose the "probe" option. I don't know why 16 is the default, in the current Slacko beta we are defaulting to 24. Same kernel series, similar config.
I set it to 16 bits as my ARM boards require it.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#542 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:There's a missing GTK icon in the distribution
Both in pmirror and puppy clock

The line of script is

Code: Select all

<input file icon="gtk-open"></input>

pemasu

#543 Post by pemasu »

I have a collection of those gtk* png icons. gtk-open.png is among them. In the attached tarbal is those gtk* png icons. You can pick the gtk-open.png from there.
Attachments
gtk-png-icons-0.0.1.tar.gz
(77.01 KiB) Downloaded 253 times

rjbrewer

#544 Post by rjbrewer »

davids45 wrote: As no one else has reported anything like my ram0 "hangover", and I don't think I'm the only one setting up a Full 5.3.91 directly from a Frugal 5.3.91, it looks like it is a hardware issue, at least in part.

Thanks for your time and thoughts,

David S
Not a hardware issue.
Same problem on my MSI netbook with full install from usb.
Reboot from Precise or any other OS ends with that
kernel panic.
Boot from power off works.
Did not have that problem with the previous (non pae)
version.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Puppy Backup

#545 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:When I tried to install puppy backup
I found that the .desktop file had been changed. The category had
been changed from 'Archiving' to 'X-Archiving' .

This prevented the app from displaying in the Start menu. :cry:

But then, I am running a build later than beta5.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Another module-loader fix

#546 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:Barry,
While testing my upgraded HSF modem support, I find that sometimes the HSF modem is discovered on first boot after installation or "pupdial erase", and other times not detected! I added trace logging to backend_modprobe to monitor its actions. I find that the trace log is identical (except for some of the ordering of unrelated events) whether the modem is detected or not. I suspect that the firmware package and extensive file changes made by the pinstall.hsfmodem script do not get made visible to other processes (i.e., /etc/init.d/hsfmodem) by the time they are needed.

I notice that the "backend_modprobe" script does not contain any 'sync' commands. I understand that command to force writing of file changes to the "device", where it becomes visible to all processes. My "rule of thumb" is to use 'sync' after writing a file that is intended to be used by other processes, on the assumption that the changes are visible only to the current process until the kernel decides to flush the buffers. Considering that several seconds appear to elapse before the initialization (init.d) script runs, it appears that the buffers do not get flushed even when the creating process (backend_modprobe's process) ends.

Because of the random nature of the detection/nondetection cases, it is difficult to verify absolutely that adding 'sync' results in success that could also happen by chance. But, since I added it, I have not seen a repeat of the detection failure.

My recommended fix is to add "sync" after the writing of the "lock1" and "protect1" files, and then after writing the "devpath" file. The latter would be effective for the files affected by a firmware package, which is where I suspect the HSF detection problem originates.

I attach a package containing only "backend_modprobe" with the 2 added 'sync' commands, in case anyone wants to try it. To test it, remove the files copied from the appropriate subdirectory in /lib/modules/all-firmware, from wherever they end up (usually /lib/firmware). Also remove /etc/modules/firmware.dep.inst.* (to cause reloading of the "firmware package"), then reboot.

Here is the unified difference listing:

Code: Select all

# diff -u /initrd/pup_ro2/sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe /initrd/pup_rw/sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe
--- /initrd/pup_ro2/sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe	2012-08-28 03:25:20.000000000 -0400
+++ /initrd/pup_rw/sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe	2012-09-06 12:03:01.000000000 -0400
@@ -16,6 +16,7 @@
 #120823 rerwin: $FIRMPKG always written. 
 #120823 rerwin: --use-blacklist to apply the blacklist commands in the configuration files (if any) to module names as well.
 #120828 rerwin: --use-blacklist again.
+#120906 rerwin: Add sync after writing lock/protect and devpath files to ensure files and firmware packages seen by all immediately. 

export LANG=C
 . /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
@@ -182,6 +183,7 @@
 touch /tmp/pup_event_backend/lock1-${$} #start lock region.
 mREGEX=" ${MODULE} "
 echo "${$} ${MODULE} " > /tmp/pup_event_backend/protect1-${$}
+sync #120906
 for NUM in 1 2
 do
  SIMULT="`cat /tmp/pup_event_backend/protect1-* | grep "${mREGEX}"`"
@@ -216,6 +218,7 @@

#log to file. rc.sysinit needs this info to find out if any modaliases missed (also above)...
 echo "MODULE=$MODULE DEVPATH=$DEVPATH MODALIAS=$MODALIAS" >> /tmp/pup_event_backend/pup_event_module_devpath_log${$}
+sync #120906

cd /sbin #v408 rerwin thinks this is needed for slamr module.
 exec /sbin/modprobe $MODULE
Having 'sync' in any module-loading code that is called by the kernel, can break things. Sometime ago I took out all syncs.

Besides, sync only flushes the files to the physical drive. Prior to flushing, the files are in RAM buffers and are accessable as per normal.

So, I suggest that the solution to your problem can be found in some other way.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#547 Post by BarryK »

davids45 wrote:G'day,

Odd behaviour in a Full 5.3.91 made with the Universal Installer from a Frugal 5.3.91 using its home directory as the source of the installation files.
The Full to a freshly wiped partition.
The Full 5.3.91 install starts up and does all the right stuff and closes down as normal and without error messages.
The only new thing I've noticed is a change of display text size during booting and closing (text display starts as before but then goes coarser just before X opens), but other recent Pups do the same thing without the problem I get in this Full 5.3.91.

On re-booting the Full, after the first white text line, an orange-red text message appears almost immediately about checking its partition, and then with more white lines of text flowing down the screen, the computer freezes requiring a push-button restart.

When I check the dud Full 5.3.91 partition from another Pup or even from its OK 5.3.91 Frugal, I see in /mnt a ram0 directory listed. If I delete this ram0, the Full then starts up as normal. But on shutting down and attempting to reboot to this "fixed" Full, the same freeze occurs needing a reset to another Pup to get a good boot.

And the ram0 is back in the /mnt of the Full 5.3.91. Delete this and it will start again, but fail after a shut-down & reboot with the ram0 back again.

When I first found this problem fix (i.e. delete the ram0 directory), there were two ram directories in the Full's /mnt (ram0 and ram1), both of which I deleted and the Full seemed to re-start OK (until re-booted :roll: ).

I think 5.2.73 had the same freezing on re-boot problem but I overwrote that Full with this next version (5.3.91) so don't know if it also had this ram0 oddity.

Any advice or simple fix?

David S.
A partition filesystem check is performed at bootup if file /fsckme.flg exists.

This file is created at startup, then /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown deletes it at shutdown -- except I think if it sees that the partition is due for a f.s. check.

I don't know why you f.s. check is failing. I will have to do a full hd installation to test it.

A hack you can do is edit rc.shutdown, make sure fsckme.flg always gets deleted.

peebee

Frisbee for Precise

#548 Post by peebee »

I've made a version of Frisbee for Precise:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=59213

I've tested it on my laptop with both the b43 and wl drivers and using wpa encryption and also to an open non-encrypted router.

Please leave any feedback on the Frisbee thread (where there is also a version that works on Wary & Racy):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=85

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mavrothal

Re: Another module-loader fix

#549 Post by mavrothal »

BarryK wrote: Having 'sync' in any module-loading code that is called by the kernel, can break things. Sometime ago I took out all syncs.

Besides, sync only flushes the files to the physical drive. Prior to flushing, the files are in RAM buffers and are accessable as per normal.

So, I suggest that the solution to your problem can be found in some other way.
I had a similar problem with Precise for the XO laptops (3.3.8-olpc kernel) failing to find the libertas wireless firmware in both XO-1 (usb8xxx) and XO-1.5 (libertas_sdio) when rc.update was running, ie in the 1st and 2nd boot and after an update.

Tried rerwin's patch with no results.
Adding sleep/sync/wait steps at various places in rc.sysinit was equally fruitless (maybe the initrd/init?)

What unexpectedly solved the problem was (looking for more info) to boot with "loglevel=7"!!!
I doubt is your loglevel 3 kernel patch that generates the problem. I would suspect a race issue alleviated by the (slower) loglevel 7 boot sequence.

However, given tat the same kernel does not give this issue, on the same hardware, in Fedora builds with loglevel 3 (or quite), I would think that there is still something in the boot sequence that allows for this (possible) race issue to manifest.
Rerwin's sketchy firmware issue might be due to something related.
Last edited by mavrothal on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

davids45

#550 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I decided to start again so re-downloaded precise-5.3.91, this time as the single iso - although the delta into 5.2.73 gave the right md5 code for my previous travails.

The new Frugal 5.3.91 was made by mounting the iso and copying the files into the existing precise5391 directory on my frugals partition - deleting the previous files first.

Frugal-5.3.91 started up OK and I added my standard sfs files etc. Still all good

For the Full-from-Frugal test, I used GParted to first reformat the 3GB partition which had been ext2 to ext3. I then ran the Universal Installer to create a Full 5.3.91 in this partition using the /mnt/home/precise5391 directory as the files' source.

The Full started without complaint but I did check to see if there was a ram0 directory in /mnt. There wasn't, but there was a ram1 instead?? So I deleted this and re-booted. The Full-5.3.91 re-booted without problem and I could not find a ram0 or ram1 directory in /mnt. I re-booted a couple of more times and had no ram0 problems.

So I've loaded in my pets and symlinks, and my Full 5.3.91 is still running (and re-booting) without problem.

The only odd thing is when I install some home-made pets, their "Categories" entry gets changed so they end up elsewhere in the Menu. Just need to edit the .desktop files. Very recent Pups have done this too. These same home-made pets have not had this re-categorisation happen with earlier, more 'previous' Pups, so I suspect a woof-effect?

Anyway, the explanation about the f.s. partition checking being the cause of the ram0 problem looks "close to the money".

In future, I'll just need to occasionally re-format a Full partition for new Pups as wiping seems not quite the same thing?

Thanks,

David S.

Sage

#551 Post by Sage »

BK wrote:
I will have to do a full hd installation to test it.
This would be an excellent move at this time. Other issues have arisen with FULL in the intervening period, notably with the latest (5.3.5.x)Slacko series, reported on the Forum. Liaison with Mick might assist? Was there a Saluki FULL matter awaiting the maestro's attention? There are delta/upgrade problems for FULL, too. The gurus seem to think these things need scrutiny from The Top!

tiangeng

bold or normal

#552 Post by tiangeng »

Copy wqy-microhei.ttf (a chinese TrueType Font) to /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF,then restart X server.

Create or modify a txtfile,Racy530 show the filename "bold" font style.
but Precise show "normal" font style.

I like the Racy530.

Now the question, how do I adjust for the bold style in precise?

feelsub

#553 Post by feelsub »

Humm; Bary is reading and swiftly fixing. :)

So I'll make a first other suggestion:

Browsing through a large directory of images, say 100 JPEG each of at least 4Mbytes (12Mpix nothing exceptional with today's camera), takes ages with Viewnor.

This, whether on old PC or Core5 or Core7, while the same under Win XP or 7, goes fast.

Puppy needs a fast image browser with basic editing: lossless crop, image resize.

http://geeqie.sourceforge.net/ prooves to be way faster than Viewnor, try yourself, unfortunately lacks cropping.

For other suggestion see:
http://jpegclub.org/losslessapps.html

Thanks.

shinobar

Re: bold or normal

#554 Post by shinobar »

tiangeng wrote:how do I adjust for the bold style in precise?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 207#650207
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

tiangeng

Re: bold or normal

#555 Post by tiangeng »

shinobar wrote:
tiangeng wrote:how do I adjust for the bold style in precise?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 207#650207
Thanks!

Very good!

But I want to keep English font unchanged, and only need to adjust Chinese font, how should do?

Billtoo

Precise Puppy beta5, Sept. 4, 2012

#556 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to the hard drive.

Report Video 1.3 - Mon 10 Sep 2012 on Precise Puppy 5.3.93 - Linux 3.2.28 i686

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
oem: Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver used: intel

X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

I gave ppm a try and downloaded VLC, it didn't take long and is
working great.
Just beginning to test but looking good so far.

tiangeng

#557 Post by tiangeng »

01micko wrote:
tiangeng wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote: I have one more suggestion. In Racy, upgrade Ghostscript from here..

Then try the Gutenprint driver again.
Address Not Found

www.datafilehost.com could not be found.
Probably blocked in China.

Try here.
very good!
Yozo_office print with no problem!

rcrsn51

#558 Post by rcrsn51 »

tiangeng wrote:very good! Yozo_office print with no problem!
Excellent! Is that with the Gutenprint driver? Will it also print with the HP Postscript driver from page 32?

tiangeng

#559 Post by tiangeng »

rcrsn51 wrote:
tiangeng wrote:very good! Yozo_office print with no problem!
Excellent! Is that with the Gutenprint driver? Will it also print with the HP Postscript driver from page 32?
Yes!! Thank you very much!

01micko

#560 Post by 01micko »

Beta 6 is out everyone!

Barry's a bit crook and probably forgot to announce here.

Anyway, I did a cheat frugal using Lilo on my slackware box which has a SiS card. Getting a bit long in the tooth now and res is not correct on first boot with widescreen monitor, native res of 1360x768, it boots to 1280x800 which shits it left and the taskbar is out of view. I tested the thing in quicksetup but I knew it would fail with the 1280x720@75Hz because older flat panels usually only handle 60Hz. So I tested with xrandr and 1280x720 works, so I adjusted the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it's now all good.

Report Video 1.3 - Tue 11 Sep 2012 on Precise Puppy 5.3.93 - Linux 3.2.28 i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter
oem: SiS
product:

X Server: Xorg Driver used: sis

X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1280x720 pixels (342x191 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

# glxgears
679 frames in 5.0 seconds = 135.726 FPS
759 frames in 5.0 seconds = 151.743 FPS
745 frames in 5.0 seconds = 148.989 FPS
# export vblank_mode=0
# glxgears
ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
714 frames in 5.0 seconds = 142.695 FPS
735 frames in 5.0 seconds = 146.940 FPS
766 frames in 5.0 seconds = 153.081 FPS

Summary
-------

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz
Memory : 1001MB (192MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue Sep 11 12:39:03 2012
-Display-
Resolution : 0x0 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - SiS SI7012
-Input Devices-
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD800JB-00JJ
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H44N
Seagate STT8000A

Operating System
----------------

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.2.28 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Thu Aug 23 10:19:45 GMT-8 2012
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.15 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Unknown distribution
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc11327
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : Unknown
-Misc-
Uptime : 9 minutes
Load Average : 1.04, 1.19, 0.68

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a note

The graphics in this thing are problematic with wary/racy and vesa always gets chosen, often resulting in "out of range" messages on the monitor. Since KMS seems to be working right now, there is much better performance and it at least boots to a usable desktop. Perhaps if I were using an old CRT ,which may be a better match for the card, I'd get even better performance. So don't take the above as a complaint, I am happy I get a semi-usable desktop :)

Thanks
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access