Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
technosaurus

#561 Post by technosaurus »

attempt to blindly add btrfs to guess_fstype (no btrfs drives here to test on)... also reduced binary size from 18k to 11k by replacing printf with write (its still faster than blkid) ... also fixed? some bad errors in the adfs code
... so if this works I got it from xfsprogs/libdisk/fstype.{c,h} and there were some more available (gfs was one)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Billtoo

Precise Puppy beta5, Sept. 4, 2012

#562 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to the hard drive.

Report Video 1.3 - Tue 11 Sep 2012 on Precise Puppy 5.3.93 - Linux 3.2.28 i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT]
(rev a1) oem: NVIDIA
product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nvidia

X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 8310MB (297MB used)
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 295.75
Direct Rendering Yes
# glxgears
50502 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10100.332 FPS
50493 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10098.571 FPS
50541 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10108.093 FPS
Multimedia video controller Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416)
Video Decoder (rev 01)

I installed VLC-2.0.3 and XBMC-11.0 from ppm with no problems, VLC
works with my Hauppauge pvr card.

This new beta is amazing, thanks for making it that way.

James C

#563 Post by James C »

Quick manual frugal install of 5.3.93 on my trusty Athlon XP box. Looking really solid.

# report-video

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nouveau

dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
1442 frames in 5.0 seconds = 288.320 FPS
2227 frames in 5.0 seconds = 445.371 FPS
2091 frames in 5.0 seconds = 418.099 FPS
2204 frames in 5.0 seconds = 440.796 FPS
2251 frames in 5.0 seconds = 449.951 FPS
2182 frames in 5.0 seconds = 436.246 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1034MB (188MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 11 Sep 2012 02:25:11 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI nv18 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

Karl Godt

#564 Post by Karl Godt »

technosaurus wrote:attempt to blindly add btrfs to guess_fstype (no btrfs drives here to test on)... also reduced binary size from 18k to 11k by replacing printf with write (its still faster than blkid) ... also fixed? some bad errors in the adfs code
... so if this works I got it from xfsprogs/libdisk/fstype.{c,h} and there were some more available (gfs was one)
Technosaurus , seems to work :

bash-3.2# ./guess_fstype /dev/ram5
btrfs
bash-3.2# guess_fstype /dev/ram5
unknown

! 8)

One tiny feature to add to guess_fstype :
[*] Force extended block device numbers and spread them
config DEBUG_BLOCK_EXT_DEVT
bool "Force extended block device numbers and spread them"
depends on DEBUG_KERNEL
depends on BLOCK
default n
help
BIG FAT WARNING: ENABLING THIS OPTION MIGHT BREAK BOOTING ON
SOME DISTRIBUTIONS. DO NOT ENABLE THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT
YOU ARE DOING. Distros, please enable this and fix whatever
is broken.

Conventionally, block device numbers are allocated from
predetermined contiguous area. However, extended block area
may introduce non-contiguous block device numbers. This
option forces most block device numbers to be allocated from
the extended space and spreads them to discover kernel or
userland code paths which assume predetermined contiguous
device number allocation.

Note that turning on this debug option shuffles all the
device numbers for all IDE and SCSI devices including libata
ones, so root partition specified using device number
directly (via rdev or root=MAJ:MIN) won't work anymore.
Textual device names (root=/dev/sdXn) will continue to work.

bash-3.2# ls -l `rdev |cut -f1 -d' '`
brw-r--r-- 1 root adm 259, 786432 2012-09-11 09:20 /dev/sda3
bash-3.2# ./guess_fstype /dev/sda2
unknown

8)

rerwin

Re: Another module-loader fix -- Now withdrawn

#565 Post by rerwin »

BarryK wrote:Having 'sync' in any module-loading code that is called by the kernel, can break things. Sometime ago I took out all syncs.

Besides, sync only flushes the files to the physical drive. Prior to flushing, the files are in RAM buffers and are accessable as per normal.

So, I suggest that the solution to your problem can be found in some other way.
Thank you, Barry, for the info about 'sync' in module-loading code. It has led me to the solution! The pinstall.hsfmodem.sh script had 'sync' commands in it, which when removed allows the package to detect the HSF modem reliably. I have replaced the HSF (woof) package on page 33 with the cleaned up version.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 304#650304
mavrothal wrote:I had a similar problem with Precise for the XO laptops (3.3.8-olpc kernel) failing to find the libertas wireless firmware in both XO-1 (usb8xxx) and XO-1.5 (libertas_sdio) when rc.update was running, ie in the 1st and 2nd boot and after an update.

What unexpectedly solved the problem was (looking for more info) to boot with "loglevel=7"!!!
I doubt is your loglevel 3 kernel patch that generates the problem. I would suspect a race issue alleviated by the (slower) loglevel 7 boot sequence.
Mavrothal, thanks for your info on your similar problem. That suggests that the apparent "fix" was due to added activity changing the timing of things. If you have any syncs left in your code, you might try removing them.

Learning by making public mistakes. Whatever works.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 11 Sep 2012, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

broomdodger

black screen

#566 Post by broomdodger »

IBM ThinkPad x30 1200 MHz 768 MB

wary5300 and racy5300 both work great

precise 5393 manual frugal
+ boot and work great with NO save file
- will NOT boot with save file = black screen
! all versions same black screen with save file

technosaurus

#567 Post by technosaurus »

Excellent, there is a gzipped patch in the tarball (though the sources are already patched) to upload to bkhome/sources. The extended spread block devices doesn't seem worth the efforts considering the targets. However the ARM systems may ship with additional default file systems that we could try to support (specifically various flash file systems)
Karl Godt wrote:
technosaurus wrote:attempt to blindly add btrfs to guess_fstype (no btrfs drives here to test on)... also reduced binary size from 18k to 11k by replacing printf with write (its still faster than blkid) ... also fixed? some bad errors in the adfs code
Technosaurus , seems to work :

bash-3.2# ./guess_fstype /dev/ram5
btrfs
bash-3.2# guess_fstype /dev/ram5
unknown

! 8)

One tiny feature to add to guess_fstype :
[*] Force extended block device numbers and spread them
config DEBUG_BLOCK_EXT_DEVT
bool "Force extended block device numbers and spread them"
depends on DEBUG_KERNEL
depends on BLOCK
default n
help
BIG FAT WARNING: ENABLING THIS OPTION MIGHT BREAK BOOTING ON
SOME DISTRIBUTIONS. DO NOT ENABLE THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT
YOU ARE DOING. Distros, please enable this and fix whatever
is broken.

Conventionally, block device numbers are allocated from
predetermined contiguous area. However, extended block area
may introduce non-contiguous block device numbers. This
option forces most block device numbers to be allocated from
the extended space and spreads them to discover kernel or
userland code paths which assume predetermined contiguous
device number allocation.

Note that turning on this debug option shuffles all the
device numbers for all IDE and SCSI devices including libata
ones, so root partition specified using device number
directly (via rdev or root=MAJ:MIN) won't work anymore.
Textual device names (root=/dev/sdXn) will continue to work.

bash-3.2# ls -l `rdev |cut -f1 -d' '`
brw-r--r-- 1 root adm 259, 786432 2012-09-11 09:20 /dev/sda3
bash-3.2# ./guess_fstype /dev/sda2
unknown

8)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

oldyeller

#568 Post by oldyeller »

Beta6 is working great on my Dell D430. frugal install

The ppm does work much faster and I like the notice of the dependences will searching for them.

Sage

#569 Post by Sage »

B6 is generally working OK, but not on an AMD1600 with 512Mb - first failure at 'loading....' observed with any release direct from BK. Machine checks out with most other distros including previous betae (presuming that's the correct plural of the Latin spelling for a Greek word?!).

LateAdopter

#570 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello BarryK

I have installed the AMD fglrx video driver using the amd-driver-installer-12.6-legacy-x86.x86_64.run

Chip description:
5.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880 [Radeon HD 4200]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS880 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver used: fglrx

dimensions: 1600x1200 pixels (423x317 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

At some point, when I was fiddling about trying to make the installer work, I had an error from: dpkg on --print-architecture.

It seems that dpkg is provided by BusyBox.

I installed the real dpkg from the Ubuntu repo and the error went away.

Once I got the installer to run without error, I did not need to do anything special to get the driver to work.

EDIT: I have since done a fglrx install with a new savefile and there were no errors from dpkg and fglrx istalled correctly.
Last edited by LateAdopter on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#571 Post by Sage »

Couple of other features have appeared in the last two betae:
PS/2 mouse remains stationary after first liveCD load; generally works at second ask (no saved data, though). USB wi-fi undetected until second USB item plugged in.
Weird and very new.

shinobar

Re: bold or normal

#572 Post by shinobar »

tiangeng wrote:
shinobar wrote:
tiangeng wrote:how do I adjust for the bold style in precise?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 207#650207
Thanks!

Very good!

But I want to keep English font unchanged, and only need to adjust Chinese font, how should do?
What happened on your english fonts?
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

rerwin

Driver for DGC USB analog modems

#573 Post by rerwin »

Barry, et al,
Now that I think I have completed the HSF modem package testing and fixing, I now attach similar packages for the DGC (CDC ACM) USB modems. The dgcmodem driver is actually only a "wrapper" around the cdc_acm module, in that it apparently handles "off-spec" models that use the Conexant DGC chipset. It seems to pass through "in-spec" models, so can apparently handle all cdc-acm devices.

My test modem works with- or without the DGC driver, so must be a normal model. So, I cannot verify that it actually makes the non-standard models work. I see in ubuntu threads that the Zoom 3095 has needed the DGC driver. If that is still true, and any of you have such a modem, could you test precise without- and with these upgraded dgcmodem packages?

In this upgrade for kernel 3.x, I have made minor corrections, one of which you might notice. Previously, a ttyACMx modem might not be detected during first boot-up, resulting in the need to tick a box during setup to force detection of the ttyACMx modem. Now the ttyACMx should always appear as detected on the first boot of a new puppy environment. The old behavior was a mistake on my part due to confusion over the addition of the hotplug script.

Another correction relates to the HSO modems, but makes only a subtle difference, if any. During hotplugging, the HSO modem should now be detected before any other that might also be plugged in. This matches the boot-time detection priority. (Since I cannot test this, I updated only the order of probing in 2 variable strings, and moved the HSO code section to first in the section group, eliminating the need for a "flag".)

The third correction maintains DGC-modem functioning as it was, compensating for a change in data available to the DGC initialization script and corresponding pupdial...hotplug... section. A message needed for detection of a DGC modem is no longer present in the message log, making the Dgcmodem init script ineffective. In fact, I suspect that it has not been effective for a long time, because the Cdcacm script executed before it and always found the modem. Therefore, I removed the Dgcmodem script altogether, along with its pupdial...hotplug... counterpart. The dgcmodem pinstall script now simply copies the Cdcacm script into /etc/init.d from the cdcacm firmware/tarball directory, avoiding maintenance of a duplicate script.

I hope that these packages as well as the HSF set can be considered for woof. Tester feedback might build confidence in these upgraded packages.
Richard
Attachments
rerwin_woof_fixes-delta-3d.pet
Updated pupdial_init_hotpluggable script, to match DGC changes
(3.69 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
dgcmodem-1.13-k3.2.28.pet
Driver module only
(8.24 KiB) Downloaded 491 times
dgcmodem-1.13-adapted-k3.tar.gz
Source, updated for kernel 3.x, at least up to precise's kernel.
(72.5 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

majorfoo

#574 Post by majorfoo »

I have a problem trying to run xscreensaver in Precise Puppy

When I first try to start xscreensaver, I receive the xscreensaver-1.png error

If I select ok on the xscreensaver-1.png, I then receive xscreensaver-2.png error

I have installed xscreensaver in many versions of the luci/lucid series, Dpup series, Slacko series, etc and program has been working great on all of these until recently. Possible this has something to do with the latest kernel, since it will not work on Slacko-5.3.5.3 and now the latest Precise series.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help that would point me in the right direction.
Attachments
xscreensaver-1.png
(8.27 KiB) Downloaded 1395 times
xscreensaver-2.png
(7.34 KiB) Downloaded 1302 times
Last edited by majorfoo on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 00:43, edited 2 times in total.

majorfoo

#575 Post by majorfoo »

Found my problem with above post.
Missing library = LibXxf86misc.so.1.1.0

Now works
Last edited by majorfoo on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

Culmination of the Broadcom support project of 2012

#576 Post by rerwin »

Barry, Broadcom wifi users,
After about 8 months of experimentation, I (with much help from peebee, stu91 and others) have arrived with a "puppy infrastructre" solution to the various issues around Broadcom 43xx wifi cards. It originated with Piratesmack's concept of unloading then reloading conflicting drivers to ensure that competing modules are always loaded in a particular sequence, to avoid interference among them. For the setup to be ready for automated network setup, the activity must be accomplished very early during module loading. The idea was tested thoroughly using complex modprobe configuration files to perform the reloads at the time a priority module is modprobed. The attached solution moves most of the config-file logic into the module loader, pup_event_backend_modprobe.

The logic's inclusion in backend_modprobe makes it available for all conflicting modules represented by preference specifications in MODULESCONFIG, to allow any combination of a preference set to be active but always loaded in priority order. This is appropriate for cases where modules' device coverage overlaps but not completely, to allow both (preferred and nonpreferred) devices to operate. In testing, I found a case where it also ensures module order during initial use of a device that requires extensive firmware/pinstall setup -- the dgcmodem driver is intended to load before cdc_acm but is preceded by cdc_acm while the pinstall processing occurs, which the "reload" logic now corrects.

The reload logic should be a "last resort" for ensuring module load order. To minimize the need for it, a 1-second delay is added to the loading of a "nonpreferred" module to allow time for a possible preferred counterpart to load. To allow both to load, the preference-determination code is changed to avoid session-permanent blacklisting of nonpreferreds. All of this should reduce instances of rare-but-unexpected interference among modules during startup.

The Broadcom wifi devices use modules (ssb, bcma) that get loaded very early, before the normal event-driven loading takes place, leaving no option other than reloading them when necessary (when wl loads).

To track special actions taken for modules related to "preferences", the activities are logged with millisecond time tags to /tmp/pup_event_backend/preferences.log. (That's how I discovered the dgcmodem-cdc_acm reversal.)

The backend_modprobe changes are accompanied by small modprobe-configuration files for b43, b43legacy, brcmsmac and wl, to handle their special needs. The included pmodemdiag diagnostic script adds the preferences log to the diag file.

This package should be tried for any case where a module-preference is in effect. usually for wifi devices suported by multiple drivers. Broadcom brcm43xx users can install peebee's wl driver and verify that it works as well as it did with the "experiments". Instructions for obtaining and installing peebee's "bare-bones" multi-kernel driver packages are here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5&start=36

I hope that after some testing and validation by interested parties this package can be considered for addition to woof. Thank you to all who have assisted in getting this implementation to this point, and to those who now use it.
Richard

How does this work with the preference list? ADDED:
  • - To determine driver priority for a particular device, the preference list (PREFLIST in MODULESCONFIG) is scanned to find an entry for the "detected" module. The scan has depended on a single entry for each module with alternatives -- multiple entries could cuse an unexpected result. This upgrade enforces that assumption, so that any subsequent entry for the same detected module is ignored.

- Determination of the "reload" priority uses the list "in reverse". It is effectively scanned right-to-left for all instances of a module as the most preferrred. The modules included in each such preference entry are candidates for being reloaded if already loaded. Although this may require entries specifically for the "reload" operation, the current preferences will trigger a reload if necessary.

- For the Broadcom case, the preferences are "ssb:wl bcma:wl ssb:bcma", because wl is preferred over both ssb and bcma. While the "ssb:bcma" has not been necessary because no conflict exists between them, it indicates that if both are loaded, bcma must load first. The "reverse scan" for wl will find bcma, then ssb, to be loaded in that order; the scan for bcma will find ssb.

- Considering that the user could inadvertently change the order of the preference entries and change the reload sequence, that risk could be reduced by limiting the reverse-scan to only the last entry specifed, forcing the full sequence to be contained in the last preference for (say) wl. The preference entries would then be: "bcma:wl ssb:bcma:wl", again with the "ssb:bcma" part never being effective in preference determination, only for reloads. To make this change, line 244 should include "| tail -n 1 " to become:

Code: Select all

NONPREFS="$(echo -n "$PREFLIST" | tr ' ' '\n' | grep -w -o ".*:${MODULE}$" | tail -n 1 | sed -e 's/:[^:]*$//' | tr : '\n')"
UPDATE 9/13/2012: Replaced the fix package with corrected version 3f. Those of you who downloaded fix-3e, please replace it with this version. Otherwise, module-preference processing will not work. I inadvertantly omitted a critical argument during merging of the mods into the latest version of the backend_modprobe script.

Update 9/14/12: Re-uploaded 3f after downloads #4 and #1 (diff) to add fix-ID annotation to corrected statement. No functional change.
Attachments
rerwin_woof_fixes-delta-3f.pet
pup_event_backend_modprobe with extended preference processing.
Configuration files for Broadcom modules.
(7.93 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
diff-pup_event_backend_modprobe-3f.txt.gz
Difference file
(1.96 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 22:19, edited 5 times in total.

James C

#577 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install an an old P4 test box. All basics working and correct on initial boot.

# report-video

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
oem: Intel(r)865G Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)865G Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver used: intel

dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.020 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.137 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.143 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.148 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.143 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.142 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 512MB (149MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 11 Sep 2012 11:09:14 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

Ray MK

#578 Post by Ray MK »

Working very well on my 10yr old Acer laptop - thanks for a luvly Puppy.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

tiangeng

Re: bold or normal

#579 Post by tiangeng »

shinobar wrote:What happened on your english fonts?

LateAdopter

#580 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello

There are a couple of kernel modules (cpuid & msr) that are not included in this puppy.

I would like to compile them, but I have never compiled anything before...

The source seems to be present in: /usr/src/linux-3.2.28/arch/x86/kernel

I had a look at m-a but I couldn't work out how to tell it what to build.

I'm sure it should only take a few lines of gibberish, typed into a terminal, to do it.

Would an expert tell me what they are, please?