Keyboard and strange characters

Booting, installing, newbie
jester

Keyboard and strange characters

#1 Post by jester »

I'm running Puppy 2.01 on a Compaq Presario 1235 (a laptop). It runs very nicely except I'm getting strange characters when I type. The keyboard seems to be set to some non-english qwerty style keyboard and I have been unable to change it.

I have searched this forum and found similar problems in earlier versions of Puppy. I have tried:
-Using the setup wizard. This changes the setting in /etc/keymap but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I tried setting it to dvorak, for example, but the keyboard was still performing like a qwerty keyboard. us.map, uk.map neither seems to make any difference.
-I tried using the setup wizard and rebooting X. The changes in /etc/keymap carried through but no change in keyboard behavior.
-I tried using the setup wizard and rebooting the machine, no change.
-I tried deleting /etc/keymap and rebooting the machine. The entry in /etc/keymap changed to azerty.map but the keyboard was still acting like a qwerty board.

/etc/keyboardtype is set to ps/2 so I tried plugging in a ps/2 keyboard and tried all of the above, no luck.

Any suggestions on what else I can do? I intend to use this machine almost exclusively for word-processing, so this is a big issue for me. I'd appreciate any help folks care to offer. Thank you.

marksouth2000

#2 Post by marksouth2000 »

When you talk about the "setup wizard", do you mean that you went to Menu | Setup | Mouse/keyboard Wizard ??

Do any of the maps in that list work for you at all? What if you reboot with the cheatcode "pfix=ram" and go through the setup, can you set your keyboard correctly then?

jester

#3 Post by jester »

In answer to your first question, yes.

I tried your suggestion (pfix=ram) and that worked, but my video was all screwed up. That set me thinking. I rebooted the machine to start up Puppy with the save configuration (screwy keyboard and all), went to setup, and started up the X Video wizard. I wasn't able to get Xvesa Kdrive Server working on my laptop when I originally installed, so I had gone with Xorg X server. I ran the Xorg Video Wizard and checked the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and there it was in the InputDevice section for Keyboard0:

Option "XkbLayout" "br" #xkeymap0

I changed this to

Option "XkbLayout" "us" #xkeymap0

Restarted X

And now everything is hunkydory. Thanks for starting me off in the right direction. I appreciate it. It looks like the keyboard wizard perhaps doesn't work with Xorg X server? I'll leave that to the smart folks to puzzle out. :)

marksouth2000

#4 Post by marksouth2000 »

jester wrote:...now everything is hunkydory. Thanks for starting me off in the right direction. I appreciate it. It looks like the keyboard wizard perhaps doesn't work with Xorg X server?
Glad to have helped, even in such a small way. However, your speculation regarding the keyboard wizard and X.org is not justified, the two work together just fine. Possibly you thwacked the OK button automatically when the "select keyboard" screen came up, it's easily done - don't ask how I know 8)