Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Apr 2014, 16:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Very obscure Firefox 14/15 setting or bug
Page 1 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Shep

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:02    Post subject:  Very obscure Firefox 14/15 setting or bug
Subject description: Grooveshark and Facebook have quit working, and for no apparent reason

For 12 months I had been happily using http://grooveshark.com without an account. (That site lets you search for music and play it, like a juke box.) Then, some weeks back I must have inadvertently done something to my browser (Firefox 14.0.1) because the grooveshark page changed to some useless text-only thing where nothing works. http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1291/groovee.jpg If I click on anything there, it simply redraws the page; I can't even search for music, let alone play it.

When Firefox 15.0.1 was released I immediately updated hoping this would fix things, but grooveshark is still unusable. Any ideas on fixing it? I have cleared the cache and cookies, to no effect. I have checked my user agent header, and it is very properly Firefox. Javascript is enabled.

(In case this sounds vaguely familiar to you, some months back I managed to do the same with facebook—it went from the normal site to a text-only useless page and no one was able to come up with a fix. It is still unusable.)

The wierd thing is that I installed Opera, and guess what? It renders grooveshark as the same useless non-functioning text screen! If I run a pristine puppy from the CD I do get the correct rendering of the fully functional grooveshark site.

I'd really like this fixed. Sad
666philb

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:09    Post subject:  

have you installed flash? as i think the site uses a lot of it. if you have installed flash, make sure you're not blocking it with any addons such as flashblock etc
Shep

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:53    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
have you installed flash?

Youtube works. Flash is not blocked.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep 2012, 15:58    Post subject:  

Can you take a screenshot of that text-only screen showing something besides a blank screen, and post it here? (Crop it or otherwise limit its width to 600 pixels or less, so the forum will show it.)
Makoto

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep 2012, 16:40    Post subject:  

Try a force-reload of the pages (Shift+Reload).

(Note: Don't confuse this with a normal/regular reload. A force-reload will force Firefox to reload the entire page from the server, rather than pull anything from a cache, which can help when cached/often-visited pages aren't displaying correctly, or have somehow become corrupted.)

Are you sure you haven't inadvertently set the browsers to operate through any sort of proxy, or useragent, that might somehow be convincing the sites you're accessing them through a mobile device (or something like that)?

pemasu

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep 2012, 17:09    Post subject:  

Is it so that using older version of flash does not fix the problem anymore ?
http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=643756&sid=8a491421db68c8390ec87ec33b07dfc7#643756

Grooveshark need flash 9 or newer so there is several to test for. As you have noticed, with Pentium III the newer libflashplayer.so versions might not be compatible.

Have you tried to clear the cache from firefox ?
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep 2012, 17:28    Post subject:  

Code:
mksquashfs /root/.mozilla /root/mozilla-quarantaine-2012-09-11.sfs

would backup your .mozilla directory into a clickable .sfs , not loadable .sfs .
Then run
Code:
rm -rf /root/.mozilla

to delete the .mozilla directory .
Then run
Code:
firefox

to create everything new .
Shep

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep 2012, 03:28    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
Can you take a screenshot of that text-only screen showing something besides a blank screen, and post it here? (Crop it or otherwise limit its width to 600 pixels or less, so the forum will show it.)

Does the link to that very thing in my first post not work for you?
Shep

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep 2012, 07:57    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
Are you sure you haven't inadvertently set the browsers to operate through any sort of proxy, or useragent, that might somehow be convincing the sites you're accessing them through a mobile device (or something like that)?

I do change the user agent for a particular site, but that was the first thing I checked at http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ and useragent is right.
Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep 2012, 08:18    Post subject:  

Hi Shep,

Have you tried clicking on the words shown in that pic: "Close Lightbox"? If so, what were the results from that?

See, some websites offer up a "lite-weight version" of themselves which will load quickly into a browser - some people chose to do this back when I did webhosting on my servers a few years back.

I'm wondering whether or not you might be seeing the same thing with FaceBook as well somehow and if they're offering you somewhere an "unfamilar choice" to click out of the "simple/fast-loading version" which has yet to have been found?

And in some unknown way these lite-weight versions have been set as "defaults" by your Firefox? There is a way to go into the browser's settings to clear just how it views individual website settings. Hmm... you may find these under "Edit>preferences>Advanced>Network ( tab )" and underneath one of those buttons on the right?

Just another idea to throw into the fray. Of course I could also be all wet behind the ears too. Wink

Good luck my fellow Puppian friend and please keep us posted, would you? We'd appreciate knowing how this was solved. ( I sure would! )

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"

Shep

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:30    Post subject:  

Eyes-Only wrote:
Have you tried clicking on the words shown in that pic: "Close Lightbox"? If so, what were the results from that?

Nothing happens. It's not clickable.

But good thinking. Wink

Quote:
And in some unknown way these lite-weight versions have been set as "defaults" by your Firefox? There is a way to go into the browser's settings to clear just how it views individual website settings. Hmm... you may find these under "Edit>preferences>Advanced>Network ( tab )" and underneath one of those buttons on the right?

There's nothing there relating to individual sites.
Shep

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep 2012, 07:49    Post subject:  

Shep wrote:
Facebook looks like a text rendering.

It's mostly a text rendering. You can generate it for yourself on Firefox at any site, including http://www.grooveshark.com, with View > Page Style > No Style

Compare what you see with what I show below, they are very similar. Except with my browser generating this of its own accord, there are almost no clickable links. Maybe this gives someone a hint?

Last edited by Shep on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 18:32; edited 2 times in total
pemasu

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:35    Post subject:  

Hmmm. Interesting. It could be even savefile corruption which is behind this.
I get savefile problems infrequently with transmission. Even though I download the big video file outside of the savefile, sometimes savefile has been still eaten away. I have even tried to hunt if there is some big file lurking somewhere. None of file size listings in command line show anything big enough to eat 1 Gb savefile away. It is just eaten away. Got that one with the savefile I am using now. 900 Mb was eaten during download. This problem has followed me infrequently non dependent of Transmission version. Sometimes curious things just happens....like problem with savefile. That is one reason I dont use same savefile very long.
Lobster has reported same problem some time ago with Transmission and Puppy.
Shep

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep 2012, 18:49    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Hmmm. Interesting. It could be even savefile corruption which is behind this.

You could be right. I do have to keep increasing savefile by 100 or 200 MB every month or so. (Nevertheless, I can't discount the suspicion that it is to do with my temporary setting of user-agent to resemble iphone. The fact that no one else seems to be having this trouble would correlate with similar low numbers who would be resetting user-agent.)

It would be a lot more convenient to keep user-installed software outside the savefile if PPM asked a simple question before installing: "Where would you like PPM to install this? In the save file, or select a directory (e.g., /mnt/sda6/bin)". As it stands, the user is given no indication where software is being installed.
Semme

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep 2012, 20:30    Post subject:  

Hey Shep- have you been trying their site with extensions enabled?

If yes- do the obvious.

If no- backup your *.default profile and reinstall (FF)..

Pending the above, I'd most likely run fsck.

Last edited by Semme on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 09:17; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: