Please post any bugs you have found
homingout

Serial Mouse on Wary Puppy 5.3

#1 Post by homingout »

Hi,

thought Wary Puppy be meant as OS for older systems
but could not activate the serial mouse;

feature looks like blocked:
no hardware recognition or even no appropriate driver?

I think, this function should work for productive use;
even Win XP recognizes a serial mouse and allows to use it.

Did I make some mistake in filling in or handling the dialog box:
Puppy Setup -> Change the mouse and keyboard?

regards

Monsie

Serial Mouse on Wary Puppy 5.3

#2 Post by Monsie »

homingout,

A serial mouse will work in Wary Puppy 5.3... I checked... but you have to set it up manually through xorgwizard. See this thread over here for more information.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

Xorg does not work with serial mice and usb/ps2 mice together . Unfortunately it is " serial OR usb/ps2 " and not " serial AND usb/ps2 " like windows DirectX .

Other than this, if you use an usb-to-serial adaptor, you need to link the ' /dev/ttyUSB* ' to ' /dev/mouse ' too . The setup-gui is not programmed for such case . the ttyUSB* device might show up using the

Code: Select all

dmesg |grep -i ttyUSB
command from the console .

homingout

Monsie, Karl Godt helping in 'Serial Mouse topic '

#4 Post by homingout »

Hi,

thank you very much for good piece of advice on activating serial
mouse

Puppy 5.3 now runs smoothly on old system (ASUS PA5A-B board, K6)
the PS/2-channel of which is defunct.

regards

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

@homingout: hey, just curious, what CPU and RAM setup do you have on that board? I can't find any info on it.

homingout

starhawk: what CPU and RAM setup

#6 Post by homingout »

Hi,

it is ASUS P5A-B Board with AMD-K6-2 CPU (400MHz) and 385 MB RAM;

What surprised me:

downloaded Youtube-Videos run faily well but not Youtube itself, lol.

I use this old system for text collecting purposes mainly or as
authoring tool.

regards

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

That must be one slow box! I didn't think Wary 5.3 could even RUN on a 586 CPU (which a K6-II is)!

FWIW, I've got a Pentium II laptop that I'm trying to get a light version of Puppy 4.2.0 (it's called Puplite 5 and it's way awesome) to run on -- it's not really even light enough to tolerably run that.

I have to say I'm extremely impressed.

homingout

starhawk: Pentium II Laptop

#8 Post by homingout »

Hi,

I remember having used SUSE 8 or DSL on such old laptops (230MHz)which were of good quality;
SUSE is gone and DSL(Damn Small Linux)'s applications which
easily and quickly could be downloaded and installed on the fly were
not uptodate then(I used to run Blender, lol).

regards

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

SuSE is still around -- check wikipedia if you don't believe me.

DSL just released a new version (thought they were dead & gone long ago, but I was wrong).

I used to have a big box (more manuals than software) that a college prof gave me probably about five or six years ago... SuSE Professional 7. I got rid of it when I found out that it didn't really support USB very well -- there is no autoprobe, and you have to mount/unmount via command line! Oh my...

Still, I'm impressed that you got Puppy working on that box. If you've any info on the specs of that motherboard, I'd love to hear 'em. I can't get gooooooooooogle to give me squat.

Er, just for the record, 385mb is a very odd RAM size. 3x128mb would be 384mb... next standard size up is no less than 512mb! I know you don't have nice enough integrated graphics to be taking up /that/ much space in there, they didn't have that yet. So I'm a bit puzzled there.

Oh, and BTW, the laptop I'm working with is a Dell Latitude CPi, vintage 1999. It's got 128mb RAM, a 4gb CF "hard drive" in an adapter card, and a 300MHz Pentium II CPU. Nifty feature of these is the modular bay system, which will (given the latest BIOS update) recognize bloody anything you can stick in it. I took apart a 24x CD-ROM module, threw out the antique drive, and stuffed a spare Thinkpad Combo Drive (CD-R/RW & DVD-ROM) inside. Recognizes as exactly what it is --a Combo Drive-- and it works a LOT faster than the old CD-ROM drive that was there before.

Good stuff.