Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Aug 2014, 19:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
RAM issues with applications in Puppy Studio -anyone?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Maxei

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep 2012, 08:31    Post subject:  RAM issues with applications in Puppy Studio -anyone?
Subject description: How much RAM is really needed?

Hello, I use Puppy Linux 3.3 RT kernel, from a bootable CD, to run applications like Pianoteq. Recently, I had to use Puppy Linux to open a (windows) program with Wine, called GraphPad. Although it works nice, the use of RAM goes to the roof if Graphpad Prism V makes more complicated calculations (such as duplicate a table and its associated graphs and stats). From then on, the system can hang, almost to the point that I must reboot. I think that GIMP would also will strugle with memory issues...need to check that.

I wanted to test if Puppy studio could handle computing things related to my work. The idea that Puppy Studio running in RAM intrigued me. Do I need "a lot" of RAM? My laptop is a Lenovo G465, with 4 GB RAM and dual core 2.2 Ghz cpu.

I noticed that even the Studio 13.37, where all applications are compiled to the RT kernel, always get all the memory taken; you can see in this video promotion, in the top panel, upper right corner, where the icon for system monitor gets all blue.

http://www.getstudio1337.com/watch-video/

So, how much RAM do you need? Can you use a puppy based linux distro running in RAM for heavy applications? Or this is only for "little" work?

I hope that developers of Puppy studio and Studio 1337 take a close look at it, or give advice on "recommended" amount of RAM. Since only modern boards support above 4 GB, my laptop is not gonna benefit, even if is not old (less than one year.
Ok, Thanks.
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep 2012, 15:35    Post subject:  

Dunno think Puppy Studio became a kind of " Commercial Os " . Check their support . " Announcer " is the USERNAME here now , can't remember his former username .
Announcer

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep 2012, 20:17    Post subject:  

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9996
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: