RAM issues with applications in Puppy Studio -anyone?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Maxei

RAM issues with applications in Puppy Studio -anyone?

#1 Post by Maxei »

Hello, I use Puppy Linux 3.3 RT kernel, from a bootable CD, to run applications like Pianoteq. Recently, I had to use Puppy Linux to open a (windows) program with Wine, called GraphPad. Although it works nice, the use of RAM goes to the roof if Graphpad Prism V makes more complicated calculations (such as duplicate a table and its associated graphs and stats). From then on, the system can hang, almost to the point that I must reboot. I think that GIMP would also will strugle with memory issues...need to check that.

I wanted to test if Puppy studio could handle computing things related to my work. The idea that Puppy Studio running in RAM intrigued me. Do I need "a lot" of RAM? My laptop is a Lenovo G465, with 4 GB RAM and dual core 2.2 Ghz cpu.

I noticed that even the Studio 13.37, where all applications are compiled to the RT kernel, always get all the memory taken; you can see in this video promotion, in the top panel, upper right corner, where the icon for system monitor gets all blue.

http://www.getstudio1337.com/watch-video/

So, how much RAM do you need? Can you use a puppy based linux distro running in RAM for heavy applications? Or this is only for "little" work?

I hope that developers of Puppy studio and Studio 1337 take a close look at it, or give advice on "recommended" amount of RAM. Since only modern boards support above 4 GB, my laptop is not gonna benefit, even if is not old (less than one year.
Ok, Thanks.

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

Dunno think Puppy Studio became a kind of " Commercial Os " . Check their support . " Announcer " is the USERNAME here now , can't remember his former username .

Announcer

#3 Post by Announcer »