Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#181 Post by peebee »

peebee wrote:all fixed :-)
Spoke too soon.....

Chromium (chromium-19.0.1072.0-slacko.pet) crashed with segfault - this was when trying to download a pdf file from a link - "save as"...

Code: Select all

# chromium
[29472:29475:3796350600:ERROR:bus.cc(298)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[29472:29475:3796350870:ERROR:bus.cc(298)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[29472:29472:3807821002:ERROR:power_save_blocker_linux.cc(428)] Not implemented reached in <unnamed>::DBusPowerSaveBlocker::DBusPowerSaveBlocker()
Segmentation fault
# 
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jejy69

#182 Post by Jejy69 »

Ouch.... :(

I searched on the internet, it seems that this is a bug in Chromium. But no solution has functioned ...

peebee

#183 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:Ouch.... :(

I searched on the internet, it seems that this is a bug in Chromium. But no solution has functioned ...
Hi Jejy69

The Chromium pets:
chromium-18.0.996.0-slacko.pet
chromium-19.0.1072.0-slacko.pet

work fine on the ordinary Slacko 5.3.3

so something in the way you have removed Seamonkey and substituted it with Firefox in this version is causing the problem - I surmise....

Perhaps you should change tack slightly and ship with Seamonkey instead of Firefox?

Just a thought
Cheers
PeeBee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

dennis-slacko531

Firefox slowed after Flash installed

#184 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

It's probably not relevant but it seemed to slow noticeably. This is my first try of your win-mgrs. I started with Xfce earlier tonight, then got the Lxde and prefer it. I'm going to install it on a neighbors old P4 (single core/256m ram) tomorrow.

See you around. The install icon is cool, and so is the Debian/Pup mixed logo. I hope maybe my little "tip" helped. :wink:

Volhout

Slacko version

#185 Post by Volhout »

Have been running Slacko 5327 and 5330 on my favorite netbook simply because it's compatibility with the hardware. On other machines I use Lubuntu a lot. When I got notice of this distro, I wanted to try it immediately.

Installed the Slacko version (and update) on a SD card.
Running in an Eeepc 1001HA (N270 atom), and it runs flawless and fast. Wireless connects immediately. Great.

One remark: there are 2 network icons in the tray.
- the standard grey one saying "Active interfaces: wlan0 ....."
- a pretty one saying "wlan0(Wireless ......" with a whole lot of detail about the connection.
but be assured, this is a good distro !! if the only negative remark is in such a small detail....

I am not sure what mail client you had in mind ? Are you using "simple mail" that is an add-on for firefox ?

Thanks for this piece of work. I sure hope this version will receive as much attention as the precise version.

Jejy69

#186 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

@ peebee, you are right, I have deleted important files, the best thing is to back. I just realize that FF crash too. 8)
Let's go to replace FF by Seamonkey.

@ dennis-slacko531 : Thanks for your observation, one more reason to return to seamonkey. :)

@ Volhout : Thanks to use it :) .
I used lxnm applet too, because as you noticed, it gives many informations about networks. You can easily remove it by right click on it.
I am not sure what mail client you had in mind ? Are you using "simple mail" that is an add-on for firefox ?
No, I don't think I use "simple mail", I don't know it. :mrgreen: , my mail client is Mailoo.org.

Who know Mailoo ? It's Open-source and Linux based !

Thanks all ! :D

Volhout

mail program

#187 Post by Volhout »

Hi Jejy69,

The point about the e-mail program is:

Typical Puppy distro's contain a e-mail program. Most cases it is the e-mail client in Seamonkey.

This distro does not have an e-mail client (could not find it) and it has firefox replacing seamonkey web browser. But firefox does not contain a e-mail program.

The question was:

Did you remove the e-mail program on purpose, assuming that people would install the addon in firefox ? Or did you forget to include an e-mail program ?

Actually, the firefox addon works great, so no need to change anything. Just wanted you to know.

Thanks for the distro

Volhout

P.S. read about returning to Seamonkey for other reasons.
P.P.S. Opera also has build in mail client.

Jejy69

#188 Post by Jejy69 »

Aaah Okay !

I forget this ! :oops:
I confess that I do not use e-mail client, thank you highlighted this oversight.
For the next version, I will provide a mail client, and I am tempted by Opera, I love this browser.
Thanks, Opera is goof idea ! :)

Jejy69

#189 Post by Jejy69 »

dennis-slacko531

The first to congradulate you!

#190 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

I only wanted to say Firefox 15 is still the default browser, not Seamonkey as your blog mentioned... Just checking in. Oh, and I can't find the WmChooser you mentioned. Thanks Jerome, you are quite a sensation IMO.

UPDATE...
Best I can tell, the 06-Sept-2012 savefile is getting read, even when it's not suppose to. I mean, I entered 0 (choose no savefile) -- I went thru this about 3 times...

I definitely got the right SourceForge iso & just dnld/burned another CD. This time I deleted all slackosave.4sf's and things are A-OK.

UPDATE...
Maybe a burned an older iso by accident (I guess). SOLVED!!
Last edited by dennis-slacko531 on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 05:24, edited 2 times in total.

James C

Re: The first to congradulate you!

#191 Post by James C »

dennis-slacko531 wrote:I only wanted to say Firefox 15 is still the default browser, not Seamonkey as your blog mentioned... Just checking in. Oh, and I can't find the WmChooser you mentioned. Thanks Jerome, you are quite a sensation IMO.
Not sure what the deal is but the latest version I downloaded most certainly has SeaMonkey. :)
Attachments
latest release.png
(61.95 KiB) Downloaded 1072 times

James C

#192 Post by James C »

And the WmChooser.....

Just curious, did you get the correct download from http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... o/download ?
Attachments
WmChooser.png
(22.24 KiB) Downloaded 1073 times

loyal

thanks and a few questions

#193 Post by loyal »

Hi Jerome,

Im new to puppy and found puppy hard due to the file browzer I am use to is PCmanFm. I have to work on 4 differnt machines so I need root access in FM. I was so pleased to see you had a working puppy that has PCmanFM!! Wow. Thanks so much.

now I ask for patience with some beginner questions:
Now to learn how to put libre office in it. Then I can do 80% of my work (Im a teacher) I tried the pet package but it seems not to go in. IS a sfs better. I think from reading a pet is not all the packages where a sfs is the full package plus dependencies. Am I understanding correctly?
There is a chess game in precise. But I could not find it in the puppy setup. I think this must be a limited selection of precise's software as there is so much in my mint install. Is there a reason for this? (please remember I am no programmer so ignorance may show) I saw someone suggest putting one in. There's plenty in debain. If you are interested I can list them once I get on my desktop.
Just out of curosity has anyone thought of a educational version of puppy? That would include libre office, inkscape, gimp and teacher tools (there are many that work in wine). Im still not smart enough to do this myself but would love to help.
What would I need in the menu.lst to use grub4dos with this puppy?

just a configuration(?? using right word??) Your puppy even works on my wifes lenovo S205 that is a pain to get linux to run on. So has Manna. so three cheers for puppy!

Thanks again
Loyal Osterhoudt

oligin10

Problems with Chromium, Audacious and Deadbeef

#194 Post by oligin10 »

Hi guys, just a quick note. Tested the latest LX Pup, and Chromium now installs and runs fine. Still the same problems with Audacious and Deadbeef. Here is the fix for them, which I found on the forum. Just install "http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... x-5250.pet" and that fixes the problem. Works fine now. Thanks Jejy69 for, IMHO, the best puppy out there! This is an amazing puppy! Thanks, Rob

Jejy69

#195 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello thanks to give me feedback !

I am satisfied that you could solve your problem dennis-slacko531, You scared me. :lol:

Hi James C, veteran tester ! :)

Welcome loyal !
Im new to puppy and found puppy hard due to the file browzer I am use to is PCmanFm. I have to work on 4 differnt machines so I need root access in FM. I was so pleased to see you had a working puppy that has PCmanFM!! Wow. Thanks so much.
I'm not crazy about rox too for a "normal" use, that's why I do this. Thank you to use it. :)
I'll try to answer to your questions :
1. There is a derived named Toutou Edu, created by Asri education for a school use. It's a french derivative, but you can see what it looks like.
http://asri-education.org/asriedu-basepuppytoutoulinux
LibreOffice : I created a LibreOffice 3.6.1 package for Lxpup, this is a SFS.
Right click on it, "Open with" "custom" and type "sfs_load" in blank box, to install it, without mount.
Otherwise, simpler, I upload a pet package. :)
For now SFS : http://lxpup.weebly.com/1/post/2012/09/ ... e-361.html

Pet only for Icons, it shows LibreOffice entries in the menu. http://e-nautia.com/loukitchou/disk/lxp ... -icons.pet

2. The chess game isn't in Lxpup, because : 1) I forget 2) I changed theme, and there is no relation with chess, CheckMate was a previous version.

3. If you want to try to create a School puplet, I can help you if you want, no problem.

4. Here, everything depends on your installation, the place where it is installed, which partition ...
It seems to me that grub4dos does it automatically. You can try it by launching the utility.
I confess that hardware questions, I do not know much ...

I hope my answers are adequate ... Otherwise, do not hesitate!

oligin10, thanks you to solve this issue, I forget this bug... :oops:
This libs will be present in next patch/version.
Meanwhile I put your solution on the site.

Thanks all !
Last edited by Jejy69 on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:08, edited 2 times in total.

Jejy69

#196 Post by Jejy69 »

LibreOffice 3.6.1 pet package :
http://lxpup.weebly.com/1/post/2012/09/ ... e-361.html
Cheers !

rg66

#197 Post by rg66 »

Very nice Jejy, even better than Checkmate!

The only probs I've found is I have to manually set up network and there is a duplicate of 'Network' in 'Setup' menu. Things I can sort out no prob.

I will test more on the weekend but all in all a great job!

Thanks for your hard work!

Tman

#198 Post by Tman »

You're doing excellent work, Jejy.

The Lxpanel desktop looks very nice, and the wmchooser is a nice touch. Are you sure you are only 18? That's amazing. At 18, all I was doing was playing Super Nintendo...lol.

Jejy69

#199 Post by Jejy69 »

Thank you! :)
Are you sure you are only 18? That's amazing. At 18, all I was doing was playing Super Nintendo...lol.
Yes I am :lol: , I had my period Gameboy color like everyone else, but I prefer the IT rather than video games now. The really good games are gone ...
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/jeux/pc/000023 ... liance.htm
Was (always) my favourite game xD, Star wars fan...

peebee

#200 Post by peebee »

Hi Jejy69

I thought Precise-Mate was great - but I am having a couple of problems with the Mate 1.4 version of Slacko Lxpup.

The first is the networking - this worked great in Precise-Mate but in Slacko-lxpup-mate1.4 there seems to be far fewer options in the Connect to Server menu (e.g. ftp is missing) and I've failed so far to establish a Windows Share samba connection - just doesn't do anything, not even an error message.

The 2nd problem is that Chromium still crashes - in a strange way this time but reproducible - basically whenever I try to attach a 2nd file to a forum post. Both Chromium v18 and v19 show the same behaviour.

Sorry these are just error reports - I like to provide some clues as to what might be the cause but in both these cases I haven't worked out how to give you more info.

Cheers
peebee