How to upgrade Slacko Puppy with delta files?

Booting, installing, newbie
neilsands

How to upgrade Slacko Puppy with delta files?

#1 Post by neilsands »

Hello

I'd like to update my Slacko Puppy installation from 5.3.1. I've read the instructions at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52232 but am a bit confused. The instructions say I should put the delta file in the same directory as the old ISO file. Trouble is, I no longer have an ISO file. I have a bundle of files on a USB stick (isolinux.bin, for example). So I'm not sure where to put the delta file. Do I just put it on the USB stick?

I'm a bit nervous to try it out in case it stuffs something up.

Thanks.

Neil

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

The first thing you do is, back up your Save file. Back up your entire flash drive if possible. :)

Beyond that I can't help. It might be good if you told us how you installed Puppy.

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

You would need the iso or need to create a .iso file again with the needed files.

like make a test directory and copy the .sfs , initrd.gz , vmlinuz and all the smaller files like help.msg into it . If you forget one or put a newer like the slack-save.3fs into it you likely screw things unuseable .

mkisofs is the command to create .iso files .

In /usr/sbin/remasterpup2 there are two mkiso commandlines . It has been two years since i have used one or both of these . Don't remember exactly which would be the needed one :

mkisofs -D -R -o $WKGMNTPT/custom-puppy-${DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX}-${DISTRO_VERSION}.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild/

ANDOR

mkisofs -D -R -quiet -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table $WKGMNTPT/puppylivecdbuild/ | cdrecord -multi -tao -pad -data -v speed=4 gracetime=2 dev=$DEVDEV -

dk60902

Re: How to upgrade Slacko Puppy with delta files?

#4 Post by dk60902 »

neilsands wrote:Hello

I'd like to update my Slacko Puppy installation from 5.3.1. I've read the instructions at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52232 but am a bit confused. The instructions say I should put the delta file in the same directory as the old ISO file. Trouble is, I no longer have an ISO file. I have a bundle of files on a USB stick (isolinux.bin, for example). So I'm not sure where to put the delta file. Do I just put it on the USB stick?

I'm a bit nervous to try it out in case it stuffs something up.

Thanks.

Neil
Did you do a frugal install? If so, your save file should work in 5.3.3 How did you install Puppy 5.3.1? Did you install to the HD or a USB stick? If a USB stick, what method did you use?
Last edited by dk60902 on Sun 16 Sep 2012, 12:44, edited 3 times in total.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

neilsands

#5 Post by neilsands »

Thanks everyone.

I think Karl, if I need to retrieve or recreate the old ISO and use that to build a new one using the delta file, I won't bother. I was hoping I could just upgrade my existing installation in situ, rather than start from scratch with a new one.

Is there a way of proceeding that just copies the amended files onto the USB stick?

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

I do not think Slacko has Delta files for updating.
Info on how to update different Puppy installs is given here:
Various ways to install puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302

If installed to USB flash drive.
Basically use the old save file with the newer Slacko version installed to drive.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

neilsands

#7 Post by neilsands »

OK, thanks bigpup.

`f00

#8 Post by `f00 »

Back up your old savefile - aren't you glad you kept it small? Keep your savefile slim and healthy

Copy/rename those 'small files' and the old version's sfs so you have a fallback just in case the latest version doesn't fit your expectations.

When you dl an iso, keep it in 'cold storage' somewhere so you can use xdelta to upgrade it (rather than dl'ing a whole new iso every time a new version comes out you can leapfrog the iso so long as an xdelta is available for the change from version to version). It's a great system, but you need the egg to start the chicken to cross the road to...

neilsands

#9 Post by neilsands »

Ok, thanks.