Pupppy on 1gig Samsung OEM USB Flash won't boot

Booting, installing, newbie
sulemasc

Pupppy on 1gig Samsung OEM USB Flash won't boot

#1 Post by sulemasc »

I bought a Samsung OEM USB drive and then noticed that Puppy2.01 install script says usb is still a work in progress.. so I went back to a 1.08 live cd and tried the usb install.
Everything appears to work fine in the script, the last step says, "making the drive bootable" and then the cd pops out, but when I reboot no such luck - the stick is not booting using the USB-FDD option in my laptop bios and any of the three 1.1 ports available- it just skips on by and goes to hard drive.
I am in the process of searching the forums but does 2.02 have the USB install script, or should I stick with 1.08 for now and does anyone know what I can do to force this stick to be bootable, or if this is a BIOS or manufacturer issue? Mark

edit btw i'm not familiar with wake2pup but then was reading that this is part of Puppy2 now, or am I getting this wrong? Sorry if this is a road well travelled but if we can get this drive to boot it'd make my weekend..

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Hi sulemasc; Have you tried other boot options in BIOS?
I have 4 different PCs & all of them use different "designations" for plugging in the same USB drive.
One uses the USB Floppy, another USB HD, & yet another uses USB ZIP.
And the fourth has 2 designations for each type of USB device & only 1 type works.
You have probably already done this, but if not... give it a go, & let us know!

Sit Heel Speak

Re: Pupppy on 1gig Samsung OEM USB Flash won't boot

#3 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

sulemasc wrote:...I am in the process of searching the forums but does 2.02 have the USB install script, or should I stick with 1.08 for now and does anyone know what I can do to force this stick to be bootable, or if this is a BIOS or manufacturer issue? Mark

edit btw i'm not familiar with wake2pup but then was reading that this is part of Puppy2 now, or am I getting this wrong?...
The road is not well-traveled. Theoretically you can boot Puppy 2.02 using the boot option 'pfix=usbcard' ...that is, to boot your USB pen drive from a PCMCIA USB2 adapter in your laptop. Whether this would work plugged directly into a USB 1.1 port, as you are using, nobody knows. Perhaps 'pfix=usbflash' will do the trick. Or maybe 'pfix=ideflash'.

For Puppy 2.02 on a USB key, you might try try Jesse's initrd.gz for 2.02, downloadable at

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=62770

WakePup2 is designed for use in USB 2 ports. Booting Puppy 2.0x in a USB 1 port is unexplored territory up til now. It is possible that if you substitute Jesse's initrd.gz from the thread cited above, it might work.

I just now tried test-booting Puppy 2.01r2 (with pakt's modified initrd.gz for Puppy 2.01 on USB, see MU's post at http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=61184 to download it; another alternate initrd.gz for 2.01 on USB, by Jesse, is also there; they both work) on a USB thumb drive plugged into my older Thinkpad's built-in USB 1.1 port, using the earlier WakePup 1.1C ( downloadable at http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1346 ) with modifications to autoexec.bat and usb1.cfg as below (I changed "image.gz" to "initrd.gz", explicitly specified usb1.cfg as the .cfg file, and moved the order around so it checks the USB drive before the IDE hard disk). It boots to the jwm desktop, but for some unknown reason Seamonkey doesn't start. It should be noted that WakePup 1.1C was designed for Puppy 1, but Puppy 2 uses different .cfg file parameters.

Perhaps if you plug the linld.cfg parameters from WakePup2-02 ( downloadable at http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9962 ) into the WakePup 1.1c usb1.cfg, using this autoexec.bat, you might get WakePup 1.1C to boot your Puppy 2.0x on a USB stick, plugged into a USB 1.1 port, properly.

When I boot Puppy 2 nowadays, it is either resident on disk or else on the USB key plugged into a USB 2 PCMCIA adapter, booted using WakePup 2-02.

Here are the boot floppy modified files I made for WakePup 1.1C which did result in booting Puppy 2.01r2 on a key in the USB 1.1 port, all the way to the jwm desktop, albeit with non-working Seamonkey. Choose Option 1 whenever prompted:

autoexec.bat:

@echo off
rem WakePup v1.1c, (C) 26-Nov-05, Paul Akterstam ('pakt' on Puppy Forum)
rem ...rearranged a little by P.N. Courier ('Sit Heel Speak' on Puppy Forum)
rem Inspired by Barry Kauler's BOOT2PUP (www.goosee.com/puppy)
rem
rem Requires FreeDOS & FreeCOM (%config% can have a value in range 0..9)
rem Uses SHSUCDX.COM, a freeware replacement for MSCDEX.EXE
rem Uses LINLD.COM with parameter file instead of TINY.EXE
rem This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
rem WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
rem MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

rem Sections
rem (1) IDE/USB drives (built-in or external CD-ROM, HD and flash)
rem (2) Iomega ZIP drive, connected to parallel port
rem (3) Backpack CD-ROM drive, connected to parallel port
rem (4) Addonics (or similar) CD-ROM drive, connected to PCMCIA

echo.
if not "%config%"=="1" goto init
rem Pause here so USB driver messages can be read...
echo Pause for driver messages. Press any key to continue or Ctrl-C to abort...

pause >NUL

:init

cls
set pupdrv=
set cfg=
if "%config%"=="1" goto ideusb_drv
if "%config%"=="2" goto parzip_drv
if "%config%"=="3" goto parcd_drv
if "%config%"=="4" goto pcmcia_drv

goto end

:ideusb_drv
:try_usb
echo.
echo Checking any USB drive for marker file PUPXUSB...
for %%x in ( C D E F G H ) do if exist %%x:\pupxusb. set pupdrv=%%x:
if "%pupdrv%"=="" goto cd_drv
set drvtype=USB
goto usb_common

rem Section(1)
rem SHSUCDX assigns IDE CD-ROM to drive I:, USB CD-ROM to drive J:
driver\SHSUCDX /d:?IDE-CD,I /d:?USB-CD,J >NUL
echo Checking any IDE drive for marker file PUPXIDE...
for %%x in ( C D E F G H ) do if exist %%x:\pupxide set pupdrv=%%x:
if "%pupdrv%"=="" goto try_usb
set drvtype=IDE
goto ide_cd_common

:parzip_drv
rem Section(2)
echo Looking for an Iomega parallel port ZIP drive...
driver\zipdrv\GUEST letter=I
echo Looking for marker file PUPXIDE...
if exist I:\pupxide set pupdrv=I:
if "%pupdrv%"=="" goto failed
set drvtype=ZIP
goto ide_cd_common

:parcd_drv
rem Section(3)
echo Looking for a Backpack parallel port CD-ROM drive...
rem SHSUCDX assigns parallel port CD-ROM to drive I:
driver\SHSUCDX /d:?BP-CD,I >NUL
goto cd_drv

:pcmcia_drv
rem Section(4)
rem Looking for an Addonics (or similar) PCMCIA CD-ROM drive...
rem SHSUCDX assigns PCMCIA CD-ROM to drive I:
driver\SHSUCDX /d:?PCM-CD,I >NUL
goto cd_drv

:cd_drv
echo.
echo Checking any CD-ROM drive for file IMAGE.GZ...
for %%x in ( I J ) do if exist %%x:\image.gz set pupdrv=%%x:
if "%pupdrv%"=="" goto failed
set drvtype=CD-ROM

:ide_cd_common
echo ...file found on %drvtype% drive %pupdrv%
echo.
echo