Installed Puppy on USB flash drive; space is disappearing.

Booting, installing, newbie
helen1

Installed Puppy on USB flash drive; space is disappearing.

#1 Post by helen1 »

Greetings to everybody, and sorry for my bad English.

I installed Slacko Puppy yesterday on my Kingston USB flash drive 1GB. I have installed it from Windows XP using program for installing Linux OS on USB.

I installed Chromium and have done some setting about small fonts and resolutions. After that, I have saved all changes and set all remaining space on my USB drive for puppy save file. After reboot, I can see notification in taskbar how much remaining space do I have.

I haven't installed anything since than and I didn't downloaded any file, but that remaining space is dropping rapidly. Today, over 10 MB. I am not planning to install anything special because I am using computer just for surfing over the Internet, so I don't know why is this happening?
How is that possible?

Second question
Is there any program (gadget) that can be placed on the desktop to show weather. :)

Third question

I have problem with Serbian letters in Chromium. Some letters are not correct.

That is for the start.

Puppy is fast, and that is something I want. :D

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

I haven't installed anything since than and I didn't downloaded any file, but that remaining space is dropping rapidly. Today, over 10 MB.
Browsers are always the first suspect with this as, with a frugal install of puppy, they save their cache to /root directory, which is within your save file.

The solution is to move chromiums hidden directory to /mnt/home, then symlink it back to /root. Unfortunately I can´t remember where chromium saves stuff to in /root. I´ll have a look when i get home.

See herefor more info on keeping a healthy save file.

sfeeley

#3 Post by sfeeley »

for weather and other desktop widgets get pwidgets . For slacko available here

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... es-slacko/

or via the package manager
or via quickpets (if slacko has that-- I use lucid :D )

In addition to what muggins said, on some browsers you can adjust the cache size. Try reducing it a bit. I'm not sure how to do it with chromium. Also if you clear the cache, you'll likely see your savefile increase a bit.

rhadon

#4 Post by rhadon »

Welcome to the forum, helen1.
helen1 wrote:... and set all remaining space on my USB drive for puppy save file.
In this case, muggins solution isn't helpful. But he is right about cache of browsers, also e.g. cache of google earth is very space consuming.

A good way to see what's in your save file is to use Gdmap from menu (I think it's menu -> File System -> Gdmap, I'm not in Slacko now).

Open -> File System -> initrd -> pup_rw. This represents your save file.

About weather, I often used this picture as my wallpaper. With WallRefresh-1.4 it refreshes every ~20min. with a delay of ~1-2 hours. But maybe it' too vague for you.

HTH
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

postfs1

#5 Post by postfs1 »

space is disappearing.
I don't know: those operating systems can give another result or not Image

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 695#648695